PDA

View Full Version : Could We Do a SCS Race Event in '07?

mlowry1260
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I realize that SSOTN is a larger group & serves MD/DE/NJ/PA/NY. They hold a spring & fall meet/race each year. Take a look at their setup.
http://www.superstallions.com/racing/ssotn_nats/natsinfo.shtml

pics from the fall '06 event:
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/g/ssotn_abm_nationals_

With some planning why can't we pull off a trank rental/race event like this once a year? Granted it would have to be at PRP most likely but, we could still have fun doing it.

Take a look at their event & let's think about it for '07.

Pure Stock
12-01-2006, 12:01 AM
I realize that SSOTN is a larger group & serves MD/DE/NJ/PA/NY. They hold a spring & fall meet/race each year. Take a look at their setup.
http://www.superstallions.com/racing/ssotn_nats/natsinfo.shtml

pics from the fall '06 event:
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/g/ssotn_abm_nationals_

With some planning why can't we pull off a trank rental/race event like this once a year? Granted it would have to be at PRP most likely but, we could still have fun doing it.

I am all for that Mark. Perhaps we could get something together for an event at Cecil or Atco too. Rental/race events of that nature allow for some great E.T.'s to be had and the opportunity to make changes to the vehicle set up because of the extended amount of time an event like this affords. Read:(more than 3 runs):goodidea: :goodidea: :goodidea:

stanggrrl
12-01-2006, 06:43 AM

Not a bad idea, but that's going to take a lot of planning, and since you brought it up, I make a motion that you be chairperson. ;) I have hesitation with the locale being PRP ever since the last track rental when they changed the date at the 11th hour. Maybe they'll have a more professional attitude on larger events.

I'd personally like to see something like this tied into a fund raiser with a percentage going to keep the SCS forum going and a larger percentage going to something like breast cancer foundations (piggybacking on Ford's Warriors In Pink). I'm seeing more women in drag racing, not to mention those of us who support racers. In addition, most of the guys love boobies, and what a better charity?! :)

Killercanary
12-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I'll all for this. Having attended 4 SSOTN events at Cecil I can tell you it was a GREAT time. They had professional photographers on hand, a portable dynojet, race fuel, and even magazine coverage. I think the biggest car count they had was 180. I would NEVER recommend such a high count at PRP as you'd be lucky to get one run in. I don't think we need nor could have all of these things at our local events... well not yet at least, but it gives you some ideas of what can be done. The biggest problem I see is getting commitments, locally from PRP, or from members if its held at another drag strip like Quaker/Norwalk/Mason Dixon/Atco/Cecil. I never had a problem driving 4+hrs to cecil, but I'm sure some wouldn't or couldn't. As much as I don't like the idea of dealing with PRP, I think it is our best choice just due to logistics.

What are some of you other's thoughts?

I always wondered why PRP and a local ford dealer didn't have something like the Mid Maryland ford event held at Mason in August. It'd be an all ford race day sponsored by a local ford garage or some other business. It should be setup as a car show/drag race to attract more than just the race crowd, have vendors on hand (like LMM cough cough), etc. and make a fun ford filled weekend out of it. The nice thing about holding it at the track is that you could attract people from the greater Pittsburgh area, as well as people from out my way.

mlowry1260
12-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Not a bad idea, but that's going to take a lot of planning, and since you brought it up, I make a motion that you be chairperson. ;) I have hesitation with the locale being PRP ever since the last track rental when they changed the date at the 11th hour. Maybe they'll have a more professional attitude on larger events.

I'd personally like to see something like this tied into a fund raiser with a percentage going to keep the SCS forum going and a larger percentage going to something like breast cancer foundations (piggybacking on Ford's Warriors In Pink). I'm seeing more women in drag racing, not to mention those of us who support racers. In addition, most of the guys love boobies, and what a better charity?! :)

Alicia,

thanks for the vote of confidence. But, it looks like I may be working out of state on some projects this summer.

I echo the discust & hesitation on PRP. But, how many of of the SCS would attend at a different (probably better) & farther location? I know the tracks that Paul mentioned. They'll at least equal or better than PRP in terms of the track & facilities. Not to mention PRP crack management staff.

I have no problem with fund-raising. I think more women racers can only help the sport to survive & grow. Good point on the boobies. :)

gmkillr
12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I vote to have it at Quaker City, its still close & its a way nicer track than PRP
There's no gravel & bullshit w/ the managment. Quaker has always treated me great. And the hook is better there than at PRP too.

mlowry1260
12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I'll all for this. Having attended 4 SSOTN events at Cecil I can tell you it was a GREAT time. They had professional photographers on hand, a portable dynojet, race fuel, and even magazine coverage. I think the biggest car count they had was 180. I would NEVER recommend such a high count at PRP as you'd be lucky to get one run in. I don't think we need nor could have all of these things at our local events... well not yet at least, but it gives you some ideas of what can be done. The biggest problem I see is getting commitments, locally from PRP, or from members if its held at another drag strip like Quaker/Norwalk/Mason Dixon/Atco/Cecil. I never had a problem driving 4+hrs to cecil, but I'm sure some wouldn't or couldn't. As much as I don't like the idea of dealing with PRP, I think it is our best choice just due to logistics.

What are some of you other's thoughts?

I always wondered why PRP and a local ford dealer didn't have something like the Mid Maryland ford event held at Mason in August. It'd be an all ford race day sponsored by a local ford garage or some other business. It should be setup as a car show/drag race to attract more than just the race crowd, have vendors on hand (like LMM cough cough), etc. and make a fun ford filled weekend out of it. The nice thing about holding it at the track is that you could attract people from the greater Pittsburgh area, as well as people from out my way.

Paul,

I guess you have to attribute PRP's lack of a Ford event to the management's lack of imagination and/or motivation. All the tracks in NJ/MD do one, Crapital, MIR, Atco, Englishtown, MG, Mason Dixon and 75/80 (now closed). I agree the show/race thing draws two different crowds for the most part.

I'll echo your sentiments on the SSOTN events. I travel routinely for work so, a couple of hours driving doesn't bother me.

Would anyone else here travel out of town for this or do we need to make the most of 'ol PRP?

mlowry1260
12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I vote to have it at Quaker City, its still close & its a way nicer track than PRP
There's no gravel & bullshit w/ the managment. Quaker has always treated me great. And the hook is better there than at PRP too.

Is Quaker going to open next year? I heard this was the last year.

Killercanary
12-07-2006, 12:36 AM
You know I'd travel!

Personally I would prefer it not be held at Quaker, but I only say this because it'll be close time wise for me to get there as it would be to get to Maple Grove and Cecil wouldn't be much farther. If it was a faster than PRP track I wouldn't mind it, but from what everyone has always told me its equal to if not slower than PRP. If I'm going to drive that far I'd rather go to a quicker track. Having said that, if we had an event there I would still attend just to hang out with everyone! :goodidea:

Does anyone have an opinion of trying to team up with another organization for track events? Just as an example, I know the NVMC (Northern Virginia Mustang Club) rents Mason once a month and I know they have had joint rentals with the local Vette club down there. perhaps we could team up with someone such as them and do something similar. Its just a thought.

Mater
12-07-2006, 07:32 AM
can i come & be the ginny pig?:laughing1:

Pure Stock
12-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Paul,

I guess you have to attribute PRP's lack of a Ford event to the management's lack of imagination and/or motivation. All the tracks in NJ/MD do one, Crapital, MIR, Atco, Englishtown, MG, Mason Dixon and 75/80 (now closed). I agree the show/race thing draws two different crowds for the most part.

I'll echo your sentiments on the SSOTN events. I travel routinely for work so, a couple of hours driving doesn't bother me.

Would anyone else here travel out of town for this or do we need to make the most of 'ol PRP?

I have no problem traveling out of state. Mineshaft conditions are "worth" the miles driven. :goodidea:

Rodeheaver's
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
count me in!