PDA

View Full Version : New to drag

ebo 4356
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey guys im runnin at prp on the 19th and it will be my first drag race ever. Ill be running my 97 GT 5 speed 3.73s and my mods listed below. Are there any pointers i should of. Im really excited but also nervous. Also ill be running street tires.

2001GTTT
09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
dont be nervous at all, its really no big deal. You say its your first time i guarantee your heart will pound when your at the line. lol.

but really, dont worry, its all in fun.

Martin0660
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
1st tip, roll into the staging lanes beside me :D

Seriously, go with the goal of having fun. If you do that, you wont leave empty handed and might even go back again. Stick with basics, and have fun. You might be overwhelmed with people trying to offer advice, tips, and tell you what you are doing wrong. Tune a lot of that out the first time, and just concentrate on clean passes and having a good time.

Bob Myers

ebo 4356
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Yea i hope its fun, and not to break anything lol. The only question i have is how do i go bout launching without blowin the tires off.

Martin0660
09-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask, I am a believe in launching off the rev limiter and a clutch drop. If it dont hook, it doesnt have enough tire ;)

Bob Myers

wick
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Leave on the last yellow. When it lights, hit it.

John4cam
09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Yea i hope its fun, and not to break anything lol. The only question i have is how do i go bout launching without blowin the tires off.

On street tires, rev your car to 2k, than on the second yellow light, start feathering your clutch out and you should feel what the car is doing, It may bog, or start to spin, a couple passes and you should know what rpm to launch the car to get the most out of it..And you will be nervous at first but that goes away after you get hooked.

wick
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask, I am a believe in launching off the rev limiter and a clutch drop. If it dont hook, it doesnt have enough tire ;)

Bob Myers

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

On street tires, rev your car to 2k, than on the second yellow light, start feathering your clutch out and you should feel what the car is doing, It may bog, or start to spin, a couple passes and you should know what rpm to launch the car to get the most out of it..And you will be nervous at first but that goes away after you get hooked.

Thats when the retarded spending starts. Thousands upon thousands go down the drain...

lib88stang
09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
What color is your car, I live near Cal?

ebo 4356
09-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Its black, the really loud one. lol

ebo 4356
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Where do live in Cal.

CobraII
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
First and foremost, always have fun. If it ain't fun, why do it?

The 19th, that's the Friday night Bad Boyz Bad Girlz, right? Track prep won't be the best then. In terms of the launch, listen to what the guys here suggest, try it out on the car, but listen to what the car wants.

What tires will you be running? That's a big factor in things too.

Couple things to consider.....
13.99 and quicker, a helmet is required, though I think it's a good idea 15.00 and quicker. 15.00, you're still going about 90ph, and if something goes wrong, you need all the protection you can get.

You probably have all the basic stuf to pass tech covered, but just in case.... you need to have a radiator overdlow bottle, seat belts, battery hold down (stock is fine), and all lug nuts. If you run a straight slick, a driveshaft loop is required.

At the track, don't pull up to the tree itself. The tree is actually about 25 feet from the starting line. Line up in lanes 5 or 6, so you can watch a few pairs to see how they stage, and watch where the finish line is. Once you cross the finish line, LIFT OFF THE GAS. I've seen a number of nwbies stay full throttle, and bury themselves in the sand because they ran out of room to slow down and make the turn off.

Feel free to ask questions, everyone was new once too, so no need to be bashful or embarrassed. Chances are I'll be in the Cutlass that night, over in the slicks lanes.

ebo 4356
09-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I know this is an easy question but how do u stage.

wick
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM

After you do your burnout, creep forward. You will see a set of 2 yellow lights light. Creep very slowly now until the second set directly below them litght. STOP. This is when you are staged. When both of you are staged, the countdown begins. yellow, yellow, yellow, green. When that third yellow lights up, go. Your reactions are not as fast as the lights are so timed right when the thirds yellow comes on, you should get a good R/T.

MBH
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
First and foremost, always have fun. If it ain't fun, why do it?

The 19th, that's the Friday night Bad Boyz Bad Girlz, right? Track prep won't be the best then. In terms of the launch, listen to what the guys here suggest, try it out on the car, but listen to what the car wants.

What is the bad boyz bad girlz night like? I was thinking about heading up myself.

here is a video of me where you can see everything from the beginning. From pulling out of the lanes to the pass itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DVgSOtJ72g

I might be there on the 19th, I'll let you know as it gets closer

CobraII
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Bad Boyz Bad Girlz are ok. They're essentially a test n tune, mixed in with a band and bikini contest. It's aimed more at the street cars... the couple times I went this year, they sent the street cars out twice per session, though the second one was pretty much a hot lap, before running 1 slick session. The schedule is the nicest thing since gates open at 8pm... I don't have to be in a mad rush to get out there, like on a Weds night after work if I want to hit tnt.

Ebo, keep asking away. I still make fun of my best friend, because his first time down the track, he pulled up to the tree. :D If you ask away, you won't be that guy. :D

Take a look at the pic. See the white flat box to the left of the dragster? That gives you an idea of where you're putting your front tires. When you roll out of the burnout, steadily but slowly move up past the starter shack, while keeping yourself centered in the groove, and watch the very top of the tree, like Wick said. I'll see if I have another pic showing the prestage and stage bulbs. The tree happens faster than you'll expect. You can try to stare at the third amber, and drop the hammer, or count as the tree comes down. Find what works for you. This is test n tune, so reaction time is just bragging rights for now. Reaction time does not affect your elapsed time. As long as you don't break the start beam (that's the third hole in the box, closest to the PRP logo in the pic), the ET counter does not start.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/chucktcutlass/PRP%202008/PRPProAm2008095.jpg

CobraII
09-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Here's the tree. You can see the prestage and stage bulbs a little better for the left lane side.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/chucktcutlass/PRP%202008/chuck6july5.jpg

MBH
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM
here is an in car video at PRP that shows the whole process, it might help you out too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORsVblPv5ZE

2001GTTT
09-11-2008, 12:37 AM
What is the bad boyz bad girlz night like? I was thinking about heading up myself.

nothing special really....basically a tnt.

ebo 4356
09-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Well guys i ran a 15.2 @ 89 mph, i think its time for a Pi swap.

2001GTTT
09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Well guys i ran a 15.2 @ 89 mph, i think its time for a Pi swap.

You the one with the black GT? If so i was the one talking to ya when you were in your car. lol.

you ran a 15.2 and you werent even beating it....that car has got more in it for sure. :thmbsup:

ebo 4356
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Yea it wasnt to bad, what did you run?

2001GTTT
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Yea it wasnt to bad, what did you run?