PDA

View Full Version : processor

d-kroha
12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I am looking processor for a 1986 mustang svo. I work at jerry taylor ford in grove city pa. the part is obsolete from ford and no dealers have one. lou from laurel moutain mustang said some one might have one please contact me if you do my phone number is 1-800-833-0473 ask for dave in parts thank you.

d-kroha
12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Martin0660
12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
The processor from an 86 SVO will be a PE (processor code). In the 2.3 world, they are the holy grail of processors (or used to be). Read that as rarer than hell and just as expensive. When they do show up, they got for $150.00 and up. Recently, a NOS one went across eBay for around $250.00, I've seen used ones go over $400.00. Its more about timing with them than anything.

The reason this processor is so desirable is it uses the large VAM meter, brown top injectors, and is by far the most agressive timing wise of the 2.3 stuff. All of the earlier TC, Merkur, Turbo Mustang, and even SVO processors wont support either the large VAM or brown top injectors. This processor is also plug and play for all of the ealier cars as a major upgrade. Unfortunatley the PE was in the 85.5 and 86 SVO's only.

If you (or your customer?) have a bad PE, the can be rebuilt by A-1 Cardone. They used to sell them over the counter, but everyone figured that out, and now they require you to send in your core for rebuild. I wil lbe honest, I have VERY rarely ever heard of a bad ECM in the "P" series stuff, and most times peole are blaming it when its any one of 1000 other things. That or whomever is looking for this, is trying to use it as an upgrade for another car.

Another option, is to swap to the LA3, LA2, and LB series stuff from the 87/88TC's. These can be had for $50-$75.00 but require re-pinning of the ECM connector, and the addition of an ACT sensor to the harness.

My Capri is currently running on a PE although I will be converting it to a LA3 myself over the winter. A lot of the tuning tweeks guys have figured out are with the fastwer LA3 stuff, anf there isnt a lot of developement going on with the PE stuff. I'm just "following the heard" with this as if I was ever to fry my PE, I would be SOL too. I will be offering mine for sale, but not for a few months, and I will be asking a premium.

I also know of one sitting on a shelf, it is an A-1 Cardone rebuild, but it was plugged into my car and it ran fine. The owner isnt using it, but I dont know if he is interested in selling it. i will contact him and send him a link to this thread.

There are some other options available with chips and earlier processors. Again, I will be set up to burn a PE tune to an older processor, but am not there yet (I have a PJ sitting here too).

Good sources would be to post a "wanted" on http://www.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi or http://www.svoca.com/forum/ (dont mention me on the SVO site ;) ) You could get lucky on one of those sites and find one reasonable (timing again) Let me know if I can help any more. Some of the options for this arent as scarry as they might seem, and there is help available.

Bob Myers

d-kroha
12-27-2006, 05:01 PM
thank for your reply bob it is for a customer of mine and i questioned if that was his problem myself ,but that is what he wants. i will check out the sites you gave me and tell him thanks again ,dave