PDA

View Full Version : F150 programmers??

v6mustang01
11-12-2008, 07:01 PM
A while back i bought an 05 F150 Fx4 with the 5.4 engine. It has a 3.73 LS rear. What would be the best bang for the buck as far as programmers? Im open to any suggestions and i would like to cap the price @ $400.

97LaserRed
11-12-2008, 10:59 PM
sct tuner

RUTHLESS
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I use a SCT X3 on my 98 f150 and its the first year that it works with.

v6mustang01
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
i was looking into them...but was unsure how well they worked with the driveability and what the power increase was. I was also looking at the edge programmer.

v6mustang01
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
just found a sct tuner on ebay for $199:goodidea:

scorpio333
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I've got an 05 F150 as well, although I have the 4.6 and mistake 3.55s. I went with the Edge tuner and if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. It's an ok tuner, but you're stuck with the canned tunes it ships with. I haven't updated it since I got it almost 3 years ago, they had a few issues back then with putting builds out a little early and then I believe they were bought out by MSD. Enough of the bad, onto the good. There are three levels of tunes. 1 is not worth talking about. 2. Towing, a little bump in torque. 3. Performance - really wakes the truck up. You can use it to adjust timing, shift points, shift hardness, tire sizes, etc.

If I had to do it over or if you are looking to squeeze everything you can I'd go with an SCT and custom tunes. There's a few reputable tuners I'd check out - Troyer Performance, VMP, Brenspeed and Bama. Mike Troyer had a great reputation for the F150's, he helped deisgn/test the Air Force One intakes. I think if you go with a SCT X3 it will have canned tunes in it and Bama charges $50 for custom tune.

v6mustang01
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I've got an 05 F150 as well, although I have the 4.6 and mistake 3.55s. I went with the Edge tuner and if I had to do it again, I wouldn't. It's an ok tuner, but you're stuck with the canned tunes it ships with. I haven't updated it since I got it almost 3 years ago, they had a few issues back then with putting builds out a little early and then I believe they were bought out by MSD. Enough of the bad, onto the good. There are three levels of tunes. 1 is not worth talking about. 2. Towing, a little bump in torque. 3. Performance - really wakes the truck up. You can use it to adjust timing, shift points, shift hardness, tire sizes, etc.

If I had to do it over or if you are looking to squeeze everything you can I'd go with an SCT and custom tunes. There's a few reputable tuners I'd check out - Troyer Performance, VMP, Brenspeed and Bama. Mike Troyer had a great reputation for the F150's, he helped deisgn/test the Air Force One intakes. I think if you go with a SCT X3 it will have canned tunes in it and Bama charges $50 for custom tune.

ive heard mixed reviews on the edge so i wanted to hear from ppl on here. I think i will go with the sct x3.

scorpio333
11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
In the long run you'll be happier with the SCT. If you didn't pick that one up off eBay then check out sites that may bundle better tunes with a new SCT.