PDA

View Full Version : Second Annual Practice Tree Race!

CobraII
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
We're doing it again, all are welcome, just please let me know if you're coming, so we have enough food!

Second Annual Practice Tree Race!

Beat the winter blahs! Come on out and have some fun at a practice tree race, that we hope will become an annual event. Mark Romeo, AJ Casini, and I (Chuck Turocy) have been working to get this together for awhile now, and it's going to happen!

Date: Saturday, February 21, 2009
Place: New Alexandria Volunteer Fireman's Club, 8370 State Route 22, New Alexandria PA 15670.
Time: Gates open at 12 noon, sign up, eat, racing starts at 1PM, til ???
We don't make a dime off of these races. We put this together for the chance to get together in the offseason, share a bite to eat, and have a lot of fun in an extremely informal atmosphere. Once expenses are covered, EVERY dollar goes out to the participants, both in the races, and in random drawings.
Thanks to our sponsors:
TBD
Entry: Cover charge: age 13 and over, $5, age 6-12, $3, age 5 and under, free. That entitles you to the food (fried chicken, some sides) and drinks (tea, lemonade, water). We will not be offering soda, but you are welcome to bring your own snacks and beverages (cover charge WILL still apply), but no alcohol please. This is a family oriented event, and there will be kids present.
Races:

Race 1 is $5 entry, race 2 is $20 entry, race 3 (if time allows) is $5 entry. All races will pay 50% to the winner, 25% to the runner up, 15% to the semis (split between the 2 racers), 10% to the quarters (split between the 4 racers). Only race 2 will have buybacks, for $5. We are not looking to make a dime on this. All money will be paid back 100%. If there's anything left after expenses, it will be put into the racing.
Rules: Round 1 in races 1 & 2 will consist of both racers hitting the tree twice as "time trials." Round 2 and on will have no time trials. All rounds with the exception of the final will be best of 3. Final round is best of 5. Race 3 will have 1 time trial in Round 1, with Round 2 and on having no time trials.
How to enter: "Tech cards" will be 50/50 type tickets, different colors for different races. Buy your "tech card" for each race you want to enter. Write your name CLEARLY on the ticket you hand in.
Pairings will be randomly drawn.
Bye runs will be randomly drawn at the beginning of the round.
Racing is off of the handheld button only.
Racing is off of the bottom bulb only.
The tree is full sized, with LED bulbs.
Tree will be in time trial mode, or, as if both racers have the exact same dial in.
Rollout will be able to be set for each racer. The christmas tree decides all winners, ie, if 2 racers in competition have identical reaction times, the winner is the one whose lane is flashing on the tree.

NovaPRP
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
It really is a blast and an opportunity to win some nice $$$. Hope to see some SSS guys out there!!!

Shorty429
01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
This sounds stupid, but i don't realy understand what this is. Can someone please break it down a little for me?

NovaPRP
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Not a stupid question at all. Assuming you have been to PRP or have seen drag racing on TV then you have seen a "Christmas tree". A lot of us, typically bracket racers, have things called practice trees, we use these to sharpen our skills on the tree. A practice tree race is where you pair people against each other, much like an actual matchup at the track. The best reaction time is the winner in each pair. We had some really nice door prizes as well as prize money in our race last year. It is worth it just to come out and BS with the guys/girls about racing to break up a long winter of no racing. If you have any questions just ask, myself (Mark Romeo) or Cobra II will answer any questions you have.

CobraII
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Anyone attending can choose to skip the big dollar race, and enter the $5 race if they wish. The coverage charge applies to all though, to cover our expenses for the hall, food, necessities, etc. We don't make a profit from it at all. And we should have some nice door prizes, which we randomly draw. I'll post those once they are confirmed.

Good question, Shorty. To expand on what Mark said, click the link for the results of a search on "practice tree" on Summit's site:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=practice+tree&searchinresults=false&N=700+115

If you scroll down, you'll see a full size tree. This is what we'll be using, with hand held switches, which is like a transbrake button in a car. You can see a switch 3rd pic down from the tree. I'll see if we have a pic from last year's race floating around, to give another visual.

Ares
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll be there for sure. I'm just hoping for alot of snow so I can cruise in with the stang again :rotflol:

Martin0660
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
so I can cruise in with the stang again :rotflol:

I thought it was going away?????????

I'm supposed to be in Tennessee the scheduled date, but will see what happens between now and then. Would love to make it.

Balaska347
01-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Ill be there.

Hey Mark did you find a Mustang yet?

I hope to see you there Bob it is a good time.

NovaPRP
01-05-2009, 06:24 PM
No mustang yet Mike, I am not in a big hurry, really looking to fall into an unbeatable deal at this point. I don't have a lot of $$ to be throwing around.

Couple of bad dudes here hittin the tree.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/70novaprp/DSCN0729.jpg

A Mopar/dragster and a Mustang guy from here at SCS taking down some $$$$.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/70novaprp/DSCN0743.jpg

Balaska347
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I think Scott is looking for one now lol.

Wow Kevin looks intense.

I can use some cash I hope to win some money again this year.

Inkdcountryboy
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
get many beginners? i might come out and try this looks like fun

NovaPRP
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Beginners are more than welcome. I will tell ya what, if you come I will even give a personal crash course on what exactly to do and the concept of how to do it. That is not a promise that you will be good (of course you could be GREAT) just a commitment to teach you the ropes and get you started.

Balaska347
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
There are lots of beginners. All age are also welcome. Younger kids really love it too.

Inkdcountryboy
01-05-2009, 11:31 PM
<<< younger kid of 24 so i should enjoy it lol

NovaPRP
01-06-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm only 22 so I KNOW you will enjoy it, we have a good time.

CobraII
01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Those are the pics I was thinking of, thanks Mark. In the one with Kev and AJ, it looks like Kyle Penn is crawling on Barry's head. lol :D

Eeeeddddddddddddddddd!!!!

Inked, definitely, c'mon out and have some fun. You can choose to skip the $20 race if you think you wouldn't be competitive. We are pretty certain we'll have 2 trees, 1 for the main races, and the second we may be running some high roller stuff on, that might also be used for tutoring/warm up.

Bob, even if you're last minute, c'mon up, you know you're welcome.

Shorty429
01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
i might stop out, it sounds like a good time

CobraII
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Our first 2 sponsors have pledged support, details to follow. Many thanks to Pittsburgh Raceway Park and Jones Race Car Trailers/www.jonesrv.com

AdamantiumSilvr
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd luv ta check somethin like this out, maybe if I ain't got anything goin on that day I'll stop by. I need practice on the tree since I've been starting to get out to the track more often.

CobraII
01-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Another sponsor has stepped up... Modified driver Jason Weaver, of JW-Kustomz Signs and Graphix (www.jwkustomz.com (http://www.jwkustomz.com)), will give a vinyl lettering package to the first .000 reaction time in eliminations of the $20 race. The package consists of names for both driver's and passenger's side windows, and 4 numbers in any color they choose for their car.

Balaska347
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
sounds good it keeps on growing

CobraII
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
And it continues to grow...

Team HUYA (one of my favorite race teams, both for their name [Head Up Your A--] and people: Jeff Noon Sr, Top class, '81 Malibu in the 9s, Vanessa Noon, Street class, '95 S-10 in the low 12s, and their son Jeff Jr, '95 S-10 in the low 12s), have graciously offered as prizes EIGHT Summit Racing 40th anniversary spring/summer jackets to the practice tree race. The sizes are: one medium, two large, three extra large and two 2XL's. We'll probably award one to the winners of the races, and give out the rest as door prizes. Thank you Team HUYA for your generous support!

Ares
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok you know I require a chair with tires so I can do a proper burnout. Plus Keith standing near tree waiting for me to break. :sticktonge:

CobraII
01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
LOL Ed! That's funny! :D Put that on DRR and see if Keith responds.

Inkdcountryboy
01-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Cant wait to go check this out!!

Balaska347
01-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Its fun and it gives us something to do and to get together. Plus a chance to win some money and prizes and to get something to eat.

CobraII
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Dean Pollock, of Dean's Racing Engines, has confirmed his support. He and his wife Linda are bringing Texas lasagna, excellent stuff! And he had made a $100 donation for us to add into the purse! Thanks Dean! Dean has many engines running in the bracket wars every weekend at PRP, including NovaPRP/Mark Romeo, and his brother, mom, and dad! Dean sponsored a 500hp complete small block Chevy this past season at PRP, for the top 16 in Street points to compete for. Definitely high up on the list of good guys!! :thumbsup:

Bob George, of Bob George Racing, has donated hats, tshirts, a die cast Willys collectible, and an Auto Meter gauge to the practice tree race. Thanks Bob! And if you're a Mopar guy, or know someone who is, that wants engine work done, Bob is the man to talk to!

CobraII
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Remember, please email me at brotherhoodracing@yahoo.com, with a subject of "Practice tree race" if you're planning on attending. We want to make sure we have enough food and drink for all. It's an absolute blast... you can see how our racing friends and sponsors are doing what they can to add to the experience... we'd love to have you come join that experience!

Ed, Mike, and Mark, you have email.

CobraII
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
How does this sound? If there are enough SCS'ers that definitely plan on attending, we'll set aside a table/tables for you. Should be typical banquet type deal, 8 to a table. Still plenty of time to reserve by emailing me at brotherhoodracing@yahoo.com

Also, if you're looking looking for an online practice tree, a decent one is on http://staginglight.com/ , under the Racing Resources menu on the left. The Guide to Bracket Racing also has some good info.

AdamantiumSilvr
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
It's comin up, I would luv to learn more about tree/stagin/reaction time ethics! Hope to make it out!

CobraII
02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
We've got about a week left to get our food order in. We ask that if you are sure you are coming, to please email me at brotherhoodracing@yahoo.com and let me know. No one will be turned away at the door, all are welcome, but we want to be as accurate as possible on the food order, so we have enough.

The offer of an all SCS table stands. If that doesn't happen, I'll ask if there are any SCS members before we start the racing, and folks can match faces to screen names.

CobraII
02-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok folks, coming down to time to place our food order. We want to be as accurate as possible, so we can feed everyone. If you don't see your name on the entry list, then we don't know you're coming. Please reply if you're able to make it.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/BrotherhoodRacing/secondannualtreerace.html

Beat the winter blahs! Come out and enjoy a day filled with fierce competition on tree. Don’t miss the event everyone is talking about until the first day of on track competition. The event has grown this year and the venue has changed to allow more to come enjoy the day.
Date: Saturday, February 21, 2009
Time: Gates open at 12PM, sign up, eat, racing starts at 1PM
Place: New Alexandria Fire Hall, 8370 State Route 22, New Alexandria PA 15670. (From the west, on the left side of 22 shortly after you pass Sheetz; from the east, on the right side of 22, shortly after you pass PRP)

Entry: Adults $5
Children 12 and under $3
Children 6 and under free
You don't have to race, but everyone coming through the door will have to pay the entry/cover charge. Our menu will be similar to last year, fried chicken from Wal Mart, iced tea, lemonade, water. Special thanks to Dean and Linda Pollock, who will be bringing their Texas Lasagna once again this year, and to the Foxes, Joe Jr and Joe Sr, for bringing what they are describing as "Polish hamburgers." We will not be offering soda, but you are welcome to bring your own lunch, snacks, and/or beverages (cover charge WILL still apply), but no alcohol please. This is a family oriented event, and there will be kids present.
Email Chuck at brotherhoodracing@yahoo.com if you are going to attend. We need to keep a head count to know how much food to get.
Race 1 is $5 entry, race 2 is $20 entry, race 3 (if time allows) is $5 entry.
All races will pay 50% to the winner, 25% to the runner up, 15% to the semis (split between the 2 racers), 10% to the quarters (split between the 4 racers).
Only race 2 will have buybacks, for $5. We are not looking to make a dime on this. All money will be paid back 100%. If there's anything left after expenses, it will be put into the racing.
Rules:
* Round 1 in races 1 & 2 will consist of both racers hitting the tree twice as "time trials." Round 2 and on will have no time trials.
* All rounds with the exception of the final will be best of 3. Final round is best of 5.
* How to enter: "Tech cards" will be 50/50 type tickets, different colors for different races. Buy your "tech card" for each race you want to enter. Write your name CLEARLY on the ticket you hand in.
* Pairings will be randomly drawn.
* Bye runs will be randomly drawn at the beginning of each round.
* After the bye is pulled, we'll pull the Dean's Racing Engines Bounty. Whoever wins that round, between the person who gets pulled for the bounty or his/her opponent, wins some cash!
* Racing is off of the handheld button only.
* Racing is off of the bottom bulb only.
* The tree is full sized, with LED bulbs.
* Tree will be in time trial mode, or, as if both racers have the exact same dial in.
* Rollout will be able to be set for each racer.
* The christmas tree decides all winners, ie, if 2 racers in competition have identical reaction times, the winner is the one whose lane is flashing on the tree.
* The $20 race, double entries WILL be allowed

Thanks to our sponsors so far:

* Pittsburgh Raceway Park, donating three $40 tech cards, eleven $10 spectator passes, five $5 PRP Bucks
* Jones Race Car Trailers/www.jonesrv.com, donating Pit Pal products
* Dean Racing Engines, donating $100 cash for the payouts
* JW-Kustomz Signs and Graphix/www.jwkustomz.com, donating a vinyl lettering package: names for each side window, and 4 numbers for race car, color of their choice
* Brian Weaver/ Weaver's Race Cars, donating 5 gallons Sunoco 110 purple or alcohol (jug not included) to the best losing reaction time of the $20 race
* The Noon Family/Team HUYA, donating 8 Summit Racing 40th Anniversary spring/summer jackets (1 med, 2 L, 3 XL, 2 XXL)
* Bob George Racing, donating Bob George Racing hats, tshirts; a collectible die cast Willys, Auto Meter gauge
*The Motorworks
*NAPA Auto Parts of South Greensburg

Here is the entry/attendance list so far:
Chuck Turocy (cobraII)
Amy, Frank, Mark (NovaPRP) and Kevin Romeo
Beth Lucci
AJ Casini
Brianna Bowman
Shelly Casini
Greg Miller
Scott Campbell
Bill Turk
Ryan Hann
Jeff Hann
Mark, Thomas, and Steve Vasbinder
Barry Barnett
Mike Balaska (Balaska347)
Rich Penn
Ed Galanda (Ares)
Bob Jones
Linda & Dean Pollock
Vanessa & Jeff Noon
Jeff Noon Jr
Jason & Brian Weaver
Steve Reasbeck, 7 coming down Walton’s Mountain
Bob George, Curt George Jr
Matt Cadamore
Matt Obertanec
Nick Tedesco
Britt Mizia, Joe Mizia
Mike Egan
Markie Brewer (cobra II)
Nick Bowman
Joe Fox Jr
Joe Fox Sr

CobraII
02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Entries have grown about another dozen, but none are SCS-ers. C'mon out and have some fun, talk some racing, and enjoy the camaraderie.

The menu is fried chicken from Wal Mart, Amy Romeo is making rigatoni, Vanessa Noon is making cheesy potatoes, Dean and Linda Pollock are making Texas Lasagna, Joe Fox Jr and Sr are bringing what they call "Polish hamburgers", and we'll have cake, iced tea, lemonade, and water.

It's like one big family affair, and all are welcome. Heck, my AMC friends are coming in from Lebanon PA just for the day!

AdamantiumSilvr
02-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Its lookin like I might be rollin out with my pops and possibley a couple buddies. Not a 100% sure yet, but were gonna try our best to make it!

CobraII
02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Sounds great, bring 'em out!

CobraII
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
We are placing the food order tomorrow, so if you know you're coming, please email me at brotherhoodracing@yahoo.com

We've got an entry list of about 70 folks coming! Come on out and join in the fun! All are welcome, no worries if you're a last minute decision, no one will be turned away!

CobraII
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM
We will be having a 50/50 drawing as well. 3 tickets for $1, an arm's length for $5, and a wingspan for $10. All money will be paid out though, 60% to the winner, 40% to a second ticket. 3 tickets will also be pulled after the cash is awarded, and each given a $10 PRP spectator pass.

We will be doing a Chinese raffle for most of the generous donations from our sponsors, and also awarding some to the winners and runners up, as follows:
Each adult will be given 3 tickets. There will be a cup by each prize. You can choose which prize(s) you'd like to drop your ticket(s) in... you can drop all 3 in one, or spread them out. The prizes for the raffle:
* 1 $40 tech card for PRP
* 2 $10 PRP spectator passes, with 2 $5 PRP bucks (2 packages will be drawn)
* Pit Pal products from Jones Race Car Trailer Sales/www.jonesrv.com
* Racing apparel package consisting of a Summit jacket, Bob George Racing tshirt and hat (3 to be drawn)
* Summit jacket and Willys die cast
* Summit jacket and Auto Meter gauge
* $25 PRP gift card (2 to be drawn)
* Winner of race 1 will receive 1 PRP $40 tech card, 1 $10 PRP spectator pass, $5 PRP bucks, and a Summit jacket in addition to the cash
* Runner up of race 1 will receive 1 $10 PRP spectator pass in addition to the cash
* Winner of race 2 will receive a Summit jacket and 1 $10 PRP spectator pass
* Runner up of race 2 will receive a Summit jacket, 1 $40 PRP tech card, and 1 $10 PRP spectactor pass

CobraII
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Also forgot, we're planning on having 2 full size practice trees there. One will be used for the racing. The other is to allow folks who don't have a lot of time in on a practice tree some hits, to see what their spot is, etc.

AdamantiumSilvr
02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I'll be rollin out with my dad, check yunz shortly! Got up a little later than I wanted to, runnin a little behind. Should be out sometime after 1!

CobraII
02-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Brent, glad you guys were able to make it out. Sorry I didn't get much of a chance to talk to you. I hope you had some fun, ate some good food, and got to talk to some folks.

Balaska347
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, it was nice to meet you Brent. I hope I was able to help you out. you and your Dad seem like great guys. Look forward to seeing you up the track the year.

AdamantiumSilvr
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, it most definately was great to meet up with (Balaska347),(CobraII),(NovaPRP), and (Ares). Ate some good eats, got called for a door prize of 10 lottery tickets. Which I should of got another set of 10, bein me and my dad put 1 ticket each in for'em and he didn't have his glasses to read his #'s and both are tickets got pulled. And I had to call them both and they wouldn't give the other 10 to me cause I called the ticket instead of my dad, dangit!! Oh well, should of thought about that at that moment instead of on the ride home, LOL!
Thanx for helpin me and my pops out (Balaska347) with the overview on the non-racin practice tree. I need to get better at my reaction, since my dad beat me like my 5 wins to his like 20 wins, Haha!! Definately lookin forward to hangin out at the track with you guyz, for sure!

AdamantiumSilvr
02-23-2009, 05:53 PM
It was also nice to meet up with the Bob George Mopar racin guyz and talkin to David Ross again the winner of Pinks All Out Norwalk! And I can't remember his name, the real tall dude that called out the door prizes.

CobraII
02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
One more thing to think about with the practice tree... get to a consistent window, regardless of what it is. Then you can adjust from there. So if you're .040-.060 pretty consistent, that should help you become pretty consistent on the track as well. Then you can do things to make your r/t better... come up more on the converter, raise the pressure in the front tires, etc. And even though your dad put a whuppin' on you on wins, it could still be close, like .004 to .005, in a race. I was hoping your dad got to talk to David Ross, figured they could talk about '68 Chargers and Mopars. Everyone remembers the tall dude, lol, AJ Casini.

AdamantiumSilvr
02-24-2009, 06:15 PM
We were pretty close on alot and then some not. I'm really not that consistant thou. It'll come with time. But I did pull a .000 light on him!!!! My pops got reaction for a 60 some year old, lol! He was like maybe I should drag race, then I was like your days comin this year! I also told him if he decides to wuss out again, I'd show him how to run that Charger! I'll bake those hides right off, Haha.
Yeah, first time we met D. Ross was two years ago on the Sat. Halloween event @ PRP.
My dad's buddy Mark Claypool(yellow, 9 sec. 70' Cuda w/ flat black hood n pro stock scoop) who actually won that Sat! Was pitted right next to him. And we began chattin specially cause of the same year Chargers they had. So they had a birthday in the family maybe his son, so they offered us cake. And we were checkin out and comparin money shot pics of poppa Ross and his son pullin the Chargers wheels off the line on the computer, and basicly just BS'n and chillin. And who would of thunk it a year or so later he would of won a PAO!!!!!

CobraII
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I really hope your dad comes up and runs the Charger. I love the '68s.
I remember Mark Claypool winning. His car is nice!!!
Dave Ross was funny... for the practice tree race, he wanted someone to drop on arm on his side of the tree. :rofl: