PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my '94 Cobra for autocross... need input on many different things.

Killercanary
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I picked up a 100% stock '94 Cobra that it going to be a driver/autocross car. Since its all stock it would be easy to put it into F stock were I'm allowed tires and shocks/struts and a cat back exhaust but not much else. I can put it into street touring where I can do things like caster camber plates, panhard bar, cold air intake, pulleys, headers, high flow cats, etc. This will also allow me to run up to a 17X9 wheel with a 285 series tire. Or, I can put it in E street prepared and add subframe connectors, intake manifold, and unlimited wheels/tire sizes.

I was going to run in F stock and get a set of sticky tires and either Koni sport single adjustable shocks/struts or Tokico D spec shocks/struts. Anyone have any input one these shocks and struts and how they compare to one another if I go this route?

I wanted to get a year of stock class under my belt so that I can make a more informed decision on what I want to do next with the car, but I also recently came across a Maximum motorsports panhard bar, HD torque arm, bilstiens with coil overs, and LCA's. This would put me right into CP as I can't run a torque arm in ESP since I am not allowed to connect it to the subframe connectors. Although this would be the equivalent of jumping in with both feet I don't think it'd be a bad thing either as these parts are tried and true. I know this setup has different roll centers depending on which direction I am turning, but at the same time I don't know enough about this to know if I'd even notice yet. If I get this and run it and feel I'd be better off with a 3 link setup the good thing is I can put these on my '95 GT where I'm not as concerned with handling as I am with my cobra.

Any input it greatly appreciated!

yeahloh95
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
i say get it all go big or go home lol ,show those guys in cp whats up

Killercanary
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
i say get it all go big or go home lol ,show those guys in cp whats up

LOL! That's awful lofty goals isn't it Troy? I have a lot to learn and experience to gain before I set goals that high. :sticktonge: It will be fun to race a RWD car with torque for a change though. :)

Mark Aubele
02-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I honestly would recommend running in FS for your first year. You have one of the (if not THE) best autocrossers in the country to compare yourself to in Sam Strano up there in CPA. That particular car isn't the best car for FS, but you will at least get your feet wet. And you will get murdered in STU by the Evo's, Sti's, and M3's. Esp could be a lot of fun though, 315's and just run a 3-link or 5-link instead of the torque arm. Steeda's 5-link and EVM's 3-link both work very well.

95riosnake
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Steeda's 5-link and EVM's 3-link both work very well.

I was going to suggest the Evolution 3-link as well. I've heard very good things about it on cornercarvers.

Unfortunately, you won't have any luck getting anything from Evolution, they have gone out of business, their site comes up saying they have ceased business due to "family matters, rising manufacturing costs, and general economic conditions." That sucks to see, EVM had some of the best designed suspension kits on the market, you could tell they really put a lot of thought and engineering into their products.

I guess you'll either have to go with the MM TA or the 5-link from Steeda.

Killercanary
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
That is crazy! I just spoke with the guys at Evolution on Monday! I've been on their site at least a dozen times over the past week too. I have a chance to buy a tri-link and their watts link right now too. This sucks!

95riosnake
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
That is crazy! I just spoke with the guys at Evolution on Monday! I've been on their site at least a dozen times over the past week too. I have a chance to buy a tri-link and their watts link right now too. This sucks!

Yea, I had no idea. Right before I posted, I was like hmm, I think I'll check out their site, and it is only a white page with the message about closing their doors. It's a shame :(

http://evolutionmsport.com/

Mark Aubele
02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
They are really good guys there too. I had some minor problems with my tri-link (my fault) and they were always helpful. Sorry to see them go under.