PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't pass up low mile 99 SS

04snake
08-24-2006, 11:41 PM
It has been so long since I had something other than my friggin boring WRX to drive around in, since I chopped up my Redfire money pit to make it SFI track legal, CroMoly caged/subframed, HP supported, A/C deleted, backseat deleted, Battery relocated, yada..yada... So when my hunting buddies son asked me if I wanted to buy his prized 99 SS W/19K miles and only a catback cheap because he needed money quick for a down payment on a house for his new wife and baby, I knew he must have been bumming.

I thought about it for .....this...long. SOLD!

I told Jr. 4 years ago that if he ever wanted to sell it I'd buy it and he remembered, but that was before I bought my 04. I then told him that I would sell it back to him when he got the family squared away and the look on his face went from totally crushed, to an ear to ear grin. So actually, in a way I'm sort of leasing it.

The first owner was a GE exec and got the full house on the options. Chrommies, friggin SS car cover, 12 cd changer, you name it. Jr. bought it from him W/ 9K when it was less that 2 years old and put another 10K in 5 yrs. Garaged in the winter and Jr. never even took it to the track, just a little street racing but it is ding/dent/scratch free, more than I could say about my cobra, WHEN I PICKED IT UP AT THE DEALER!

Boy do I need a torquey cruiser with A/C and in 99 it was the top dog, only replaced by the terminator in 03. This makes my 04's basically track-only duty seem a little less painful, I was looking around for a 00-02 GT, but even if I got one cheap for 10, I would drop a another bundle on it so it would have a little snap, so I like this factory set-up muscle car that I can just get in and drive. I'm not whining about modding my cobra and I'm never going to put it back to stock but after everything I have done already plus a solid W/locker, N2O, manual steering, tubular K and what ever else I end up throwing at it, driving it on the street anymore will be rare.

Don't disown me, just need something to make up for my missing in action snake. Unmodded used Terminators, even with a few miles are getting harder to find and could be as much as 22-26K (or more), I gave 16 for the SS W/ 4 brand new Pirelli P-Zeros. All I'm going to do to it is add a SLP Air box W/a K&N, 160T-Stat and a flash from a Xcal-2

It has been real tuff owning the badest, most hated car on the street but all I can do is look at it on a lift when I'm working on it.

BoneCrusher
08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Nice dude congrats. How about some pics. Oh and BTW that's a HELL of a lot nicer than my DD.

04snake
08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Nice dude congrats. How about some pics. Oh and BTW that's a HELL of a lot nicer than my DD.

My DD is still going to be our WRX beater, but that get's in and out of rush hour traffic OK. I just wanted to have a weekend cruizer again, the 04 only does it's weekend cruizes 1/4 mile at a time!

I was looking at some modded Foxes, maybe a 00-02 GT, but nothing jumped up and told me I had to have it.

Sometime the best deals find you, you know what I mean! When I found the 04, I went to the dealer I got it from to test drive a Saleen, took the Saleen out and it was nice but then I took the Redfire for a 130mph test drive and decided I had to have it, another car that found me, not the reverse.

Steve-0
08-24-2006, 11:57 PM

+1 on the pic request! And I bet you have a hard time not modding this car too! you gotta at least throw the rest of the exhaust on there and maybe a small cam....:D

04snake
08-25-2006, 12:10 AM
+1 on the pic request! And I bet you have a hard time not modding this car too! you gotta at least throw the rest of the exhaust on there and maybe a small cam....:D

I'll get some pics but other than the SLP air box, the same one that was on the special SLP edition SS's and a SCT flash, 350HP will suit me fine. I'm not into street racing and one track car is enough, so after doing the extreme mod thing once, I know the down side and doubt I will go down that path far. This thing floats 1800K at 75 in 6th and with the cat back has a little rumble. I'll bet you a beer I don't Mod this puppy, just enjoy a backroads romp now and then.

Sonic03snake
08-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Nice find Stu, watch out for the mod bug.;)

04snake
08-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Nice find Stu, watch out for the mod bug.;)

some of us learn the lesson, some don't.

I have one track car and one dependable car and hopefully I can keep them straight when it comes to certain.... ahhhemm.. urges..

ya know what I mean!

stieny
08-25-2006, 01:43 AM
I'll bet you a beer I don't Mod this puppy, just enjoy a backroads romp now and then.

Thats what I'm talking about. Pretty cool that you'll sell it back to him. Cudos to you for that. Thats exactly what I'd do if I had a terminator like yours. Just use the SS for some fun DD.

+1000 on the pics. Those cars are growing more and more on me every day.

My neighbor's brother works for GM so they always have cars over at their house before they are released. He brought a yellow '06 Z06 over to my house that he just bought and got to play around with it for a bit. God damn, sex on wheels! :D

Cam99
08-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Nice find. I still love the 98+ F-body and will own another one someday.

Mater
08-25-2006, 07:30 AM
congrats,welcome to th fast side!;) :D

shawnsvtcobra
08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
congrats,welcome to th fast side!;) :DHhahha TELL STU WHAT MODS???

Viper_ed
08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Well stu, now you can put Quick's 8,000hp cam in it!

Mater
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Hhahha TELL STU WHAT MODS???

whats he want!

04snake
08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Thats what I'm talking about. Pretty cool that you'll sell it back to him. Cudos to you for that. Thats exactly what I'd do if I had a terminator like yours. Just use the SS for some fun DD.

+1000 on the pics. Those cars are growing more and more on me every day.

My neighbor's brother works for GM so they always have cars over at their house before they are released. He brought a yellow '06 Z06 over to my house that he just bought and got to play around with it for a bit. God damn, sex on wheels! :D

I figure by the time the kid is looking to get his car back, I'll be ready for a Z06, well that is the plan anyway!

stieny
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I figure by the time the kid is looking to get his car back, I'll be ready for a Z06, well that is the plan anyway!

Good plan! I'd like to own one someday.

Steve-0
08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
350HP will suit me fine. I'll bet you a beer I don't Mod
this puppy, just enjoy a backroads romp now and then.

All blasphemy!! Ill take that bet.:cool:

04snake
08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
All blasphemy!! Ill take that bet.:cool:

I am already making room for some new gears, but that's the only thing :rolleyes:

You must not of read the fine print where I crossed my fingers!

I might need 12 step to get thru this!!

shawnsvtcobra
08-26-2006, 12:46 AM
whats he want!Gears for now.

Mater
08-26-2006, 07:57 AM
what gears he have now?

shawnsvtcobra
08-26-2006, 09:30 AM
what gears he have now?Stu wheer are ya haaa.

Mater
08-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Stu wheer are ya haaa.

probaly scared from driver the SS!:D

shawnsvtcobra
08-26-2006, 12:03 PM
probaly scared from driver the SS!:DHhahaha i doubt it:rolleyes:

Steve-0
08-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I am already making room for some new gears, but that's the only thing :rolleyes:

You must not of read the fine print where I crossed my fingers!

I might need 12 step to get thru this!!

Ha! I win already!:cool:

04snake
08-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Stu wheer are ya haaa.
No I worked a Mustang Show today, I was the head burger flipper and weenie roaster for like 6 hrs, my old man back is hurting and my eye's are focked from all the smoke.

I took a 20 min break to take pictures I would like to work on tonight. Maybe I can post them tonight or tomorrow, it was cloudy and my battery was dieing so the flash wasn't always shooting, so no idea how they are.

You guys are asking me stuff I haven't even had a chance to research, so you can kinda follow my quest which will have a few turn arounds for sure or give me a couple weeks. I have spent more time on forums bragging about this find than I have spent poking around Summit. I will be racing this car in a few weeks so I will have to do a couple things fast. The tuning can wait, but I need to take measures not to stomp, twist and blow the rear.

what do I know, the 1999 SS got an upgraded Auburn limited slip (part of the Z28 package) but it still basically sucks at the track. The stock gear of the Z-28 is 3.23, it was worked on by SLP for a base SS package and some got an optional 3.42 rear gear, not sure which one I have, but it matters not. Shawn I am really surprised you can't predict what gears I am going to use at the track, the same ones I swapped into my Cobra: 4.10's! Unless your making huge 600+ HP or you are worried about gas mileage, there is really one choice for quick 60fts. What I am trying to figure out is while I'm in there if I want to swap to a Auburn or Eaton posi and if I need the 10 bolt cover brace I am seeing all over the place. I might just slap in the 4.10's and think about the rest, or add the hardened cover, not sure. Prices of this stuff is about the same as the Ferds, non of it is wicked bad. I think I will run lighter 75W-90 Amsoil punkin juice for low friction and quicker break-in, not recommended for road courses.

I think I want to replace the T-56 juice with some fresh GM Synthetic Syncro-mesh with 1/2 bottle extra friction modifier added, after all I did the same thing on the Cobra and it wasn't even recommended but it is recommended on the GM and that should help the shifting if the juice is 7 years old and I think it is. I will have to mess with the clutch probably sooner than later and after my recent quality control issue with Ram I need to reassess who I might want to deal with. McCleod, Spec or Excedy all make a ton of choices, but I need to look for feedback on that. I need to get some DR's, Mickey Thompson is making some 17" now but the Nitto's are cheap and for now I will just mount them on the stock wheels, I have access to a tire changer for a quick swap. I might grab some lightweight wheels in the future, but at least get an extra set of stock wheels so I can swap tires for a cruise.

Stick my G-Tech in there for a shift light and I am ready for Street night and then see where I am. I bet I'll surprise you with this car, high 12's will beat most imports and I know a dozen guys I will be able to have little grudge matches with, that would not line up against the 04. I think this old catfish, just might be a blast.

shawnsvtcobra
08-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Stu i have 4.30's in my cobra.

Steve-0
08-27-2006, 02:18 AM
No I worked a Mustang Show today, I was the head burger flipper and weenie roaster for like 6 hrs, my old man back is hurting and my eye's are focked from all the smoke.

I took a 20 min break to take pictures I would like to work on tonight. Maybe I can post them tonight or tomorrow, it was cloudy and my battery was dieing so the flash wasn't always shooting, so no idea how they are.

You guys are asking me stuff I haven't even had a chance to research, so you can kinda follow my quest which will have a few turn arounds for sure or give me a couple weeks. I have spent more time on forums bragging about this find than I have spent poking around Summit. I will be racing this car in a few weeks so I will have to do a couple things fast. The tuning can wait, but I need to take measures not to stomp, twist and blow the rear.

what do I know, the 1999 SS got an upgraded Auburn limited slip (part of the Z28 package) but it still basically sucks at the track. The stock gear of the Z-28 is 3.23, it was worked on by SLP for a base SS package and some got an optional 3.42 rear gear, not sure which one I have, but it matters not. Shawn I am really surprised you can't predict what gears I am going to use at the track, the same ones I swapped into my Cobra: 4.10's! Unless your making huge 600+ HP or you are worried about gas mileage, there is really one choice for quick 60fts. What I am trying to figure out is while I'm in there if I want to swap to a Auburn or Eaton posi and if I need the 10 bolt cover brace I am seeing all over the place. I might just slap in the 4.10's and think about the rest, or add the hardened cover, not sure. Prices of this stuff is about the same as the Ferds, non of it is wicked bad. I think I will run lighter 75W-90 Amsoil punkin juice for low friction and quicker break-in, not recommended for road courses.

I think I want to replace the T-56 juice with some fresh GM Synthetic Syncro-mesh with 1/2 bottle extra friction modifier added, after all I did the same thing on the Cobra and it wasn't even recommended but it is recommended on the GM and that should help the shifting if the juice is 7 years old and I think it is. I will have to mess with the clutch probably sooner than later and after my recent quality control issue with Ram I need to reassess who I might want to deal with. McCleod, Spec or Excedy all make a ton of choices, but I need to look for feedback on that. I need to get some DR's, Mickey Thompson is making some 17" now but the Nitto's are cheap and for now I will just mount them on the stock wheels, I have access to a tire changer for a quick swap. I might grab some lightweight wheels in the future, but at least get an extra set of stock wheels so I can swap tires for a cruise.

Stick my G-Tech in there for a shift light and I am ready for Street night and then see where I am. I bet I'll surprise you with this car, high 12's will beat most imports and I know a dozen guys I will be able to have little grudge matches with, that would not line up against the 04. I think this might old catfish, just might be a blast.

Wow, sounds like a good plan to me. I bet this is gonna end up being alot of fun for you, at least you sound pretty excited.:)
Oh and yea, the car should definately run solidly in the high 12s with those basic mods.:cool:

04snake
08-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Stu i have 4.30's in my cobra.

yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 112 at 6000, I will shift this thing around 6K instead of 64-6500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Your the man dog, the shifts come fast enough with the 4.10's, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, not sure if I could handle 4.30 or 4.56's! ;)

Mater
08-27-2006, 08:52 AM
yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 104 at 5500, I will shift this thing around 5K instead of 54-5500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Your the man dog, the shifts come fast enough with the 4.10's, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, not sure if I could handle 4.30 or 4.56's! ;)

go 4:30's or if u plain on a t-rex cam go 4;56's any ?? just pm me or call!:D

shawnsvtcobra
08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 104 at 5500, I will shift this thing around 5K instead of 54-5500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Your the man dog, the shifts come fast enough with the 4.10's, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, not sure if I could handle 4.30 or 4.56's! ;)Ya da man, i seen you shift bro.:D

04snake
08-27-2006, 10:44 AM
go 4:30's or if u plain on a t-rex cam go 4;56's any ?? just pm me or call!:D

hmm.. so how high do you spin a LS1? where do you shift it at? Are you talking about stock profile 26" tires? all things I need to learn and fast. Maybe your right I just want to hit the point I shift at, right at the line. That is what I started at with my cobra with the 4.10's and 26" tire. I would hit the line around 6300 and on a good run the shift light set at 6400 would go off. That yeilded me the best and lowest consistent times with an intercooled, blown application and now with a lower + ported setup, weight reduced, bigger I/C tank & pump, I will trap closer to the rev limiter without N20, so I had to get a 28" tire.

I want a gear that will give me that same starting setup on stock profile DR's, so I have a little room to go faster. So what the heck is the shift point 5500-6000? My Eaton stopped pulling over 6000 and you need room for the powershift spike. Even with my rev limiter bumped up to 7150, that worked best for me, not a feeling, I kept track. You don't spin a LS1 like a 4V do you? So I just guessed that 6K would be pretty safe and good point to start to see what the car itself has to say about what makes it the go fastest.

4.30 are good up to what, about 107 mph in the 1/4, I was shooting for, and I know without longtubes I probably won't see, but I was leaving room for about 110-112 mph so that was where I was coming from, at 6K 4.30's turn 26" tire 107mph. I am afraid that without ET streets a lot of the 60ft quickness I would want from 4.56/4.30 gear would be lost on DR's so I was thinking of trying to let some of top end roll radials are better for happen on the 2nd 1/8 mile. Driving around the street with those gears wouldn't bother me in the least, just wondering about the track.

real world experience beats all bench racing and I don't need to re-invent the wheel so I will be asking a couple F-body guys what they run and why. a lot to learn.

Mater
08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
leave the line at 55oo & shift 6200 to 6500!

04snake
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
leave the line at 55oo & shift 6200 to 6500!

Wow, stouter than the Cobra, hmm. well time to go to school I guess, I have under selling the LS1, I guess valve float is a myth and I need to shift at the redline. I believe you, I guess I need re-think everything. Not sure the stock clutch is gunna like that too much but only time will tell, right?

shawnsvtcobra
08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Wow, stouter than the Cobra, hmm. well time to go to school I guess, I have under selling the LS1, I guess valve float is a myth and I need to shift at the redline. I believe you, I guess I need re-think everything. Not sure the stock clutch is gunna like that too much but only time will tell, right?
Time to find out.:D

Mater
08-27-2006, 01:25 PM

good info here at www.ls1tech.com

04snake
08-27-2006, 02:40 PM
good info here at www.ls1tech.com

yup more sleep deprivation straight ahead!

Steve-0
08-27-2006, 02:56 PM
yup more sleep deprivation straight ahead!

Yea its impossible to read all the info on that site, I tried for like 6 months and gave up. Lots of good stuff there though!

shawnsvtcobra
08-28-2006, 01:15 AM
yup more sleep deprivation straight ahead!Drink lots of coffee.