PDA

View Full Version : First bike

Shorty429
04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm looking to buy my first bike this summer or maybe next spring. Does anyone have a suggestion on what a good first bike would be? I've been on dirtbikes/quads a good bit but never a sport bike. I'm thinking about getting a used 600 but i don't want to spend more than 3k because i'm sure i'll dump it a time or two when i first start. any suggestions?

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Suggestion 1 - get rid of that "i'm sure i'll dump it attitude"

Suggestion 2 - figure out what you want and search until you find it - don't jump on the first thing you come across...

A 600 is a good choice to start on, but don't have yourself hell-bent that that's what you need to get. If you are responsible and can use your head, there's no reason not to start on a 750 or 1000. However, unfortunately 98% of sportbike folks out there aren't responsible enough, so that's where the rep comes that you HAVE to start on a 600. Also keep in mind that the newer 600's are extremely fast as well - probably as fast as the mid-90's litrebikes... so they are by no means slouches... You might think so because you hear about cars beating them all the time, but that's only because of an incompitent rider...

The biggest suggestion I have is to always respect the bike, but never fear it.... If you're afraid of it, it'll be in the back of your mind and you'll hesitate... the last thing you want to do is hesitate when you're going down the road at any speed - it will spell disaster - you have to just react to situations... with time, it will come more naturally.... I can't put enough emphasis on respect... sportbikes are mean as hell, whether it be a 600 or 1000... you just have to use your better judgement and make sure you are very careful and get some good seat-time before you start trying to ride at a more 'spirited' pace....

good luck.

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
go gsxr600. put a cage on it and have fun.

Shorty429
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
The main reason for the "i'm sure i'll dump it" attitude is because i've been looking it up and I've came across a lot of articles that say the majority of beginning riders do, so i assumed i would be no more fortunate.

I do know that there is a difference between respect and fear when it comes to bikes. I had a loved one pass away because of a bike accident and my family is now skeptical about me getting a bike, but it was something that he loved to do and he was the one who got me interested in bikes and taught me always to respect them so i think it's something he would have wanted. He would have loved me to get into it, and i want to, so i don't see why i shouldn't.

ANYWAYS...Another question i have is can i realy get a decent bike in my price range? or am shooting to low?

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
id say 3-3500 would get you a decent starter bike.

pRojekt02GT
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I was looking into a street bike a while back, checked out a couple of them..I really liked the 04 GSX-R 600s..The newer ones I really didn't like, plus of the fact of it being brand new and a first bike..the CBR 600s aren't too shabby either, but I believe they weighed a little more and looked a bit bulkier. I would def go with a used one, and like SonofaBish said, if you are responsible enough and aren't liable to be extremely stupid, theres no reason why you couldn't get a bigger bike than a 600..Just don't buy a damn Hyabusa or something crazy like that, lol..a few years from now you'll probably end up wanting a bigger one anyways..just my .02.

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
The main reason for the "i'm sure i'll dump it" attitude is because i've been looking it up and I've came across a lot of articles that say the majority of beginning riders do, so i assumed i would be no more fortunate.

I do know that there is a difference between respect and fear when it comes to bikes. I had a loved one pass away because of a bike accident and my family is now skeptical about me getting a bike, but it was something that he loved to do and he was the one who got me interested in bikes and taught me always to respect them so i think it's something he would have wanted. He would have loved me to get into it, and i want to, so i don't see why i shouldn't.

ANYWAYS...Another question i have is can i realy get a decent bike in my price range? or am shooting to low?
Well, I think having that frame of mind is what will make you dump it... I think you have to continually tell yourself that you're going to do the right thing and be safe....

As far as your price range - YES, you can get a nice, early 2000's (2000-2003) 600cc sportbike for that price... I sold my 2000 TL1000R for $3750... Some people continue to ask crazy amounts for their bikes, but if you're patient, you'll find someone that is desperate for some cash...

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
The only bikes I would shy away from are the late 90's and early 2000's Kawi's.... They have cleaned up their act in recent years, but until the 636 came out, they really weren't very good bikes...

I've always been a huge fan of the Yamaha's... best looks on the market IMHO, and great quality/reliability... However, i've owned Suzuki's and Honda's as well, and they have treated me well too!

I agree with teh above that the new bikes are getting kinda ugly... I really hope to hold onto my bike for good.... 2004-2006 R1 is the best looking bike ever made IMHO :D :D and performance is unbeatable!....

pRojekt02GT
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
The GSX-R's in 05 on went with the real tiny exhaust and extremely ugly matching blue wheels..IMO, hideous..

boost_92
04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I agree with bish. You must respect the bike. My first bike was a gsxr 750. I too had ridden/raced dirt bikes and quads and it was a good start. The main thing you have to watch out for is other drivers!!!!! They sure as hell don't watch out for you. And as for the remark about not buying a busa......I would not worry about those having to much power because my 06 cbr 1000 put down only 6 rwhp less than an 07 busa on the dyno and they are way heavier. There are plenty of good bikes out there in your price range.

pRojekt02GT
04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the hyabusa's, except they're what, a 1300?..I thought they were pretty bad bikes..buddy of mine has a GSXR 1000 and his brother had a busa, saw some pics and it was pretty sick..didn't know they wern't all that badass though.

2001GTTT
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
yea when you get into the bigger bikes like that ive heard handling becomes an issue. biggest I'd go would be 1000, and yes i would start out with that, that way you can grow into it as your skill progresses.

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
yea when you get into the bigger bikes like that ive heard handling becomes an issue. biggest I'd go would be 1000, and yes i would start out with that, that way you can grow into it as your skill progresses.

no way id tell anyone to start out on a 1000. too much power for the skill level. itd be kinda like taking a kid from a little 50cc pitbike and throwing them on a 250 2stroke

pRojekt02GT
04-14-2009, 04:40 PM
no way id tell anyone to start out on a 1000. too much power for the skill level. itd be kinda like taking a kid from a little 50cc pitbike and throwing them on a 250 2stroke

haha..I went from a 98 XR-100(all stock) to a 02 CR-125(NOTHING stock)..Was scared of it for about a week..finally got some balls, ripped on it, and the bike handed me my ass..lol.

2001GTTT
04-14-2009, 04:43 PM

its not too much power, this has nothing to do with the bikes. its the rider who makes the decisions.

first streetbike I ever rode was a cbr 1000rr and I loved it it was fun as hell but you definitely learn to respect the bike the second you get on it.

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 04:45 PM
riding in the parking lot...and riding one on the streets is different lol

Shorty429
04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks for all the input. I'm really looking forward to getting on bike. If anyone sees/knows of any deals out there let me know! It doesn't have to be IN greensburg...I'm not worried about a little roadtrip

2001GTTT
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
riding in the parking lot...and riding one on the streets is different lol

I did ride my dirtbike when I first got it in the parking lot, cbr is another story.

thanks for all the input. I'm really looking forward to getting on bike. If anyone sees/knows of any deals out there let me know! It doesn't have to be IN greensburg...I'm not worried about a little roadtrip

We have 2 R1's and a few nice gsx'rs/cbr's up at the shop....let me know if your interested.

scott5
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
IMO you get what you pay for and if you are looking for a bike to take you a long way the newer gsxrs have the abc stages where in the certain stages it cuts of certain amount of power and allows you to grow with the bike. I loved my 750 and used this atfirst when i bought it and then found myself on c all the time...

But for that price you will find an older and higher mileage bike

Troll
04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Sportbikes are not comfortable. Unless you're into hardcore corner carving or insane straight-line speeds, get a dual-sport bike as your first streetbike.

The riding position is very comfortable. You can focus on your riding and EVERYONE ELSE. If you do go "off-roading" you'll have enough suspension to probably keep from damaging the bike too bad.

Then, after you get all the idiosyncrasies of "street-riding" worked out in your head, move up/over to a sportbike.

This is just my humble opinion, of course. :rolleyes:

2001GTTT
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Sportbikes are not comfortable. Unless you're into hardcore corner carving or insane straight-line speeds, get a dual-sport bike as your first streetbike.

The riding position is very comfortable. You can focus on your riding and EVERYONE ELSE. If you do go "off-roading" you'll have enough suspension to probably keep from damaging the bike too bad.

Then, after you get all the idiosyncrasies of "street-riding" worked out in your head, move up/over to a sportbike.

This is just my humble opinion, of course. :rolleyes:

thats a good point thats often overlooked.

scott5
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Supermoto bikes are AWESOME bikes but most people dont like them because they cant go 140mph and you cant hang out with the "cool" crowd but i love them and would love to trade my bikes for a wr450 supermoto bike. Another thing to look at are cruisers.. After riding many crotch rockets and having two of them already they are really not for long rides

scott5
04-14-2009, 06:00 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1121920694.html

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
DRZ400 supermoto is a very nice piece you can do some sprocket swaps. 450 big bore pipe it....very nice i built one up and rode one... also a honda shadow spirit 750 is a nice starter bike. or a Suzuki savage 650 one lunger. i know a few people who have rode those as first bikes for a couple years and they hold value. a nice lightweight cruiser is really the way to go for a starter bike. my first bike was a 1998 VN750 vulcan kawi. but i took my test on a honda rebel lol

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't think sportbikes are uncomfortable at all - and i'm a pretty tall guy..... however, this is something you need to find out for yourself...

Are you going to have anyone riding with you??? If so, that is the one time a sportbike is uncomfy... i love my R1, but its brutal on me when my g/f rides with me.... my TL1000R was much better for riding 2up...

And i don't agree with the above that a 1000 is too much for a beginner... If you're irresponsible and stupid, any sportbike is too much! If you can control your urges and just get to know the bike, it won't be a big deal .... just don't twist your right wrist.

Chandlergt
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Sorry for whoreing your post but I am too looking for a streetbike but I am pretty short, is there anyway to lower a bike ?

TJ

How Much?
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
250 ninja!!!FTW They are funny girl bikes,but they will get you onto a bike, you can beat the snot outta them with a top speed of maybe 80mph...and you can get them cheap as hell:thmbsup:

Inkdcountryboy
04-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry for whoreing your post but I am too looking for a streetbike but I am pretty short, is there anyway to lower a bike ?

TJ

yea man, sport bikes you can get lowering links for. and you can get lowering kits for anything else. if you get one and need it lowered throw me a pm :goodidea:

KBCobra
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I completely agree w/ bish and everything he's said. I've been riding myself for exactly 10 years. I grew up on dirtbikes but my first streetbike was a 93 zx7r. Great starter bike. But compared to my 05 r6, it's a DOG! The r6 is everything i'll ever need, i'll never be able to out-ride this bike. I did all the basic mods to my r6, front and rear sprockets, 420 conversion, pipe, filter, stacks etc etc... it's an animal for only a 600...

Definitly take a course or atleast ride for a while with some guys who know what they're doing. I was always a straight line bike rider, until a few years back I did a charity ride w/ bish. Little did he know, he's the one that taught me to do the corners. You gain a WHOLE NEW respect for your bike when hitting the corners, quite possibly the most amazing thing on 2 wheels I've ever experienced!

In any event, I think a 600 is all you need. If you found a great deal on a 750 or 1000 then go for it, but I'd shop around for 600's. Now is the time to buy. I also recommend yamaha, my r6 has been put through its paces and never given me a single ounce of trouble.

stieny
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Ok, here I come to disagree with everyone.

I would have to recommend to NOT start on a 600 let alone on a 1K. Bish is a good guy with a lot of good things to say but this one time I must respectfully disagree with him. (Disclaimer: this is directed towards newer supersports and not all 600's.)

This is coming from someone who started small and moved my way up through the sportbike thing. I read a lot of articles on why to start small and I'm glad I did. Search around and you'll find some. There is just way to much bike in a 600 supersport to actually develop your riding abilities that you need to have before you start ripping around on a low, low 11 or even high 10 second street bike.

I started on a Ninja 250 that I bought brand new. Now, I'm not saying you have to buy a 250 but something that is light and less powerful is so much less forgiving on the street. I could toss it around and if I did screw up or had poor judgement in a situation, which you will at some point, I wouldn't dump it. I learned to ride so much better and so much quicker when I was riding my 250 over my other friends that were riding around on newer supersports.

Bish stated that most of sportbike riders are dumb and try way to much way to soon. This is actually true and I think it starts with the idea that a 600 supersport is a good starting point. People need to get out of the idea that a 600 is slow. They are not slow. I rode my 6R faster at the track then most ride their 1K's. My 600 would power wheelie in first all day long. It would embarrass almost every car on the road and could throw you off the back of it if you weren't careful.

Not to mention that a lot of the smaller bikes are looking better and better. I would say look for something smaller or start on something less powerful. For example: SV650, GS500 and the 650R are all bigger bikes but are far less forgiving then a 600 supersport. Bikes hold their value well and you can always learn, sell it and move up. You'll be a much better rider in the end and you'll end up enjoying your 600, 750 or 1K supersport that much more.

I would be happy to lend any other info or discuss this topic further if anyone would like. I am very passionate about riding.

I will add this to Troll's comment about the comfort of sporkbikes: I rode them for years and I was fine UNTIL I went on a very long ride. Supersports ride rough and you aren't sitting in the best "cruising" position so longer rides will probably play havoc on your lower back. They did on mine. But I would give up the comfort of other bikes for another sportbike every time. I'm actually thinking of picking up a 1k when I graduate in the next few weeks.

Either way, good luck and be safe. :thumbsup:

How Much?
04-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Ok, here I come to disagree with everyone.

I would have to recommend to NOT start on a 600 let alone on a 1K. Bish is a good guy with a lot of good things to say but this one time I must respectfully disagree with him. (Disclaimer: this is directed towards newer supersports and not all 600's.)

This is coming from someone who started small and moved my way up through the sportbike thing. I read a lot of articles on why to start small and I'm glad I did. Search around and you'll find some. There is just way to much bike in a 600 supersport to actually develop your riding abilities that you need to have before you start ripping around on a low, low 11 or even high 10 second street bike.

I started on a Ninja 250 that I bought brand new. Now, I'm not saying you have to buy a 250 but something that is light and less powerful is so much less forgiving on the street. I could toss it around and if I did screw up or had poor judgement in a situation, which you will at some point, I wouldn't dump it. I learned to ride so much better and so much quicker when I was riding my 250 over my other friends that were riding around on newer supersports.

Bish stated that most of sportbike riders are dumb and try way to much way to soon. This is actually true and I think it starts with the idea that a 600 supersport is a good starting point. People need to get out of the idea that a 600 is slow. They are not slow. I rode my 6R faster at the track then most ride their 1K's.

Not to mention that a lot of the smaller bikes are looking better and better. I would say look for something smaller or start on something less powerful. For example: SV650, GS500 and the 650R are both bigger bikes but are far less forgiving then a 600 supersport. Bikes hold their value well and you can always learn, sell it and move up. You'll be a much better rider in the end and you'll end up enjoying your 600, 750 or 1K supersport that much more.

I would be happy to lend any other info or discuss this topic further if anyone would like. I am very passionate about riding.

I will add this to Troll's comment about the comfort of sporkbikes. I rode them for years and I was fine UNTIL I went on a very long ride. Supersports ride rough and you aren't sitting in the best "cruising" position so longer rides will probably play havoc on your back. They did on mine. But I would give up the comfort of other bikes for another sportbikes every time. I'm actually thinking of biking up a 1k when I graduate in the next few weeks.

Either way, good luck and be safe. :thumbsup:
HELL YEA,,,,NINJA !!!

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I completely agree w/ bish and everything he's said. I've been riding myself for exactly 10 years. I grew up on dirtbikes but my first streetbike was a 93 zx7r. Great starter bike. But compared to my 05 r6, it's a DOG! The r6 is everything i'll ever need, i'll never be able to out-ride this bike. I did all the basic mods to my r6, front and rear sprockets, 420 conversion, pipe, filter, stacks etc etc... it's an animal for only a 600...

Definitly take a course or atleast ride for a while with some guys who know what they're doing. I was always a straight line bike rider, until a few years back I did a charity ride w/ bish. Little did he know, he's the one that taught me to do the corners. You gain a WHOLE NEW respect for your bike when hitting the corners, quite possibly the most amazing thing on 2 wheels I've ever experienced!

In any event, I think a 600 is all you need. If you found a great deal on a 750 or 1000 then go for it, but I'd shop around for 600's. Now is the time to buy. I also recommend yamaha, my r6 has been put through its paces and never given me a single ounce of trouble.
:goodidea:
we gotta get out again man...

fastfox91
04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
my first bike was and still is a 06 gsxr 1000, and it wasnt stock when i got it, power commander, bmc filter, yoshi trc slip on, the works basically and its had all this since the day i bought it. im so glad i started were i did cause if i would of bought a 600 i would already be on the hunt for a new bike and i havent even owned for a year yet. im not the best rider in the world but i can ride, and there are some people on here that can back me on this, if u find a liter bike for the right price buy it and respect it and u will have no issues

ddmi-twin90gt
04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
we gotta get out again man...

Well you better include me too damn it! :thmbsup:

ddmi-twin90gt
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
AS for the cause, Take this course! You will learn a lot. You don't need a bike because, they have them so you can take the course. When your done, you get your license and 10% off insurance. http://www.pamsp.com/CourseInfo_Basic.aspx

stieny
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
AS for the cause, Take this course! You will learn a lot. You don't need a bike because, they have them so you can take the course. When your done, you get your license and 10% off insurance. http://www.pamsp.com/CourseInfo_Basic.aspx

Link above is a good course to take. It's free in PA and you get your license at the end if you pass. I took it. MSF FTW!

Troll
04-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with Stieny 1000%. Does this mean I have to quit coming here? :sticktonge:

I started on a VTR250 (always was a Honda man) and that shows my age, but oh well. Then, I moved onto a CBR600F2 (a dog by today's standards, but had 90-100HP). 2 seasons on that and I got a CBR900. I rode a few R1s in my day and those things are wicked scary. A so-called experienced rider could get really fuggered up on anything with 150RWHP and weighs 400 pounds soaking wet. I don't care who you are or what you say, literbikes are scary machines. This is not saying I might not own one again, but never never should a beginner start out on one. :rolleyes:

I started riding when I was 5 and worked my way up through the streetbikes as listed above and I wouldn't recommend a SS bike to anyone. Period.

Hell, when my friends ask me about streetbikes at all, I tend to change the subject. I don't want anybody getting in over their head on my advice.

If you're asking for affirmation from me, the answer is NO. If it's in your blood and you think you can handle it, by all means GO FOR IT.

Good Luck and Be Safe no matter what you do, OP. :goodidea:

Shorty429
04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I will definitely take a safety course when i start to ride! As for comfort, i actually like the feel of my brothers 06cbr1000rr. I'm really looking for an R6 but if a CBR or GSXR pop up for the right price i won't hesitate to buy it.

SonofaBish
04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Well you better include me too damn it! :thmbsup:

ddmi-twin90gt
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
PM me and give me a heads up! :thmbsup:

stieny
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I agree with Stieny 1000%. Does this mean I have to quit coming here? :sticktonge:

Ouch. Am I really hated here that much?

ddmi-twin90gt
04-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I will definitely take a safety course when i start to ride! As for comfort, i actually like the feel of my brothers 06cbr1000rr. I'm really looking for an R6 but if a CBR or GSXR pop up for the right price i won't hesitate to buy it.

That's good but, I would do it before you do. I said the same thing and so did all the others said the same thing and never did LOL. Took me 17 years to do it LOL! but, I did it! Yes! I was riding for all that time with out a licenses. :rolleyes:

Shorty429
04-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes! I was riding for all that time with out a licenses. :rolleyes:

that's actually really scary sounding, but glad it worked out for you. lol I'll take one when i get closer to buying a bike. Like i said, it might not be untill next spring...:rolleyes:

I don't know if i can wait that long tho..

stieny
04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
that's actually really scary sounding, but glad it worked out for you. lol I'll take one when i get closer to buying a bike. Like i said, it might not be untill next spring...:rolleyes:

I don't know if i can wait that long tho..

Wait until you buy one. It becomes addicting. I had to sell mine to finish college and now that everyone is talking about buying or riding, I really want to buy another.

ddmi-twin90gt
04-14-2009, 10:14 PM
OH, when you go you will be wishing you had one years ago! I been riding bikes when I was in diapers, only thing scary is when people following me and trying to keep up.

Troll
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't think sportbikes are uncomfortable at all
:bsflag: :lies:

I'm never going to dispute the performance, handling, weight or power of a sportbike. They are grand machines when it comes to a set of tight twisties, but you're kidding yourself to say "comfortable". They are tolerable at best.

Take one to Penn State Harrisburg on the turnpike and come back the same day, then report back to me. :rofl:

SonofaBish
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
:bsflag: :lies:

I'm never going to dispute the performance, handling, weight or power of a sportbike. They are grand machines when it comes to a set of tight twisties, but you're kidding yourself to say "comfortable". They are tolerable at best.

Take one to Penn State Harrisburg on the turnpike and come back the same day, then report back to me. :rofl:
I've been on several trips to potter county, pa and back... total of 4 hours each direction.... with a 2 hour break in between to cut grass at my parent's camp.... No problems at all for me.... The R1 is noticeably more comfy than the TL-R was, but I never had any issues with either one of them...

The only time I've ever had any discomfort on either of my sportbikes was doing the exact opposite... sitting in traffic on a 90* day on a V-twin sportbike, with the rear cylinder baking the backs of your thighs, approaches unbearable ....

I learned to ride as a 16 year old on a cruiser style bike that my dad had... it was much more uncomfortable ... yes you are sitting upright, but for me, this caused me to slouch my back, therefore giving me a very sore lower back after a 1 hour ride..... I've never had a sore back on either of my bikes, and the only time i've ever had sore knees is when I ride in REALLY cold weather... then all of my joints hurt :(

Shorty429
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Traffic is the worst! Me and my brother got stuck in traffic once in nashville, simply terrible!

travj31
04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Traffic is the worst! Me and my brother got stuck in traffic once in nashville, simply terrible!

Try it on a Buell! Don't get me wrong, I love my Buell, but they are notorious for being almost unbearable in standstill traffic.

As far as a first bike, I think it depends on the individual. I personally started on a 883 Sportster and couldn't of been happier. However, I had no desire to go 160 or drag my knees. IMO, the two most important things are getting something you feel comfortable riding and that is in your budget. You don't want to go out and buy something that is too much for you to handle both financially and power wise.

scott5
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
buy this before i do.. I really dont need a fourth bike :rotflol:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/1123096722.html

Shorty429
04-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Do you guys think i would be able to make payments on a bike in my price range (no more than 4k maybe 5)? I make 100 a day landscaping and work 3 or 4 days a week so actually MAKING the payments wouldn't be an issue. The real question is Would a dealership even give me the option?

JH03Cobra
04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Keep in mind the price for insurance when you are talking about financing a bike.
As for your original post:
I've been riding about 4 years now. Started on a 2001 R1 with some light mods. I went through the same BS you are goin through with ppl tellin me to start on a 600 and I wont be able to handle a 1000, but lemme tell you it's just that...BS...
It's all about "you". If you put it in your head that a 1000 is too much bike, then it will be, but if you go about with confidence and responsibility than there is no reason not to start on a 1000. They way I looked at it was there was no way I was gonna buy a 600 just to sell it a couple months later when I knew I was gonna want a 1000. Get the bike you want.
As for your price range:
I just recently picked up my 2002 R1 so I've kinda had the price ranges on bikes scoped out a bit. 3k will not get you a decent Litre bike. 3600-4k will get you 1999-2001 Litre bike with mid-High miles. 4500-5500 can get you a 02-04 "nice" litre bike. Then above that you get into newer models which I havent really cared for to tell you the truth except the R1. My buddy has an 06 R1 and it is the shit. Don't get me wrong, you can always find that "awesome deal" out there, but chances are those are the prices you are going to be looking at. I found my 02 R1 with 10k miles for $4300 and to me that was a steal that I couldnt pass up especially because it has alot done to it.

And lastly for those that said a sportbike isn't comfortable at all....Most of the time I agree 100% but........who the hell buys a sportbike to be "comfortable"??
If you wanna be "comfortable" go buy a cruiser or dualsport bike and lemme know what I look like when I blow by you at a buck eighty.. (disclaimer: Do not attempt that without a couple years experience! haha)
Wasn't tryin to offend anyone, those are just my humble opinions. If you get a bike that you didnt really wanna get, you will regret it.

Feel free to Pm me with any questions you got man...and yes I still might be sellin the R1 i just picked up. Terry over at streetlethal has me convinced I need either a blower/turbo combo or a twin turbo on my cobra...haha

stieny
04-16-2009, 09:43 PM
600 SS are WAY to much bike for a beginner, let alone a 1K but thats just my opinion as I stated earlier. It looks like the OP is going with a newer SS so to that I'll just say: best of luck, be safe out there and have fun.

badf250
04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
The only time I've ever had any discomfort on either of my sportbikes was doing the exact opposite... sitting in traffic on a 90* day on a V-twin sportbike, with the rear cylinder baking the backs of your thighs, approaches unbearable ....

Tell me about it, I have an SV650, cooks you real good.

Back to the origional post, I wouldn't recommend a liter bike as your first bike. some may say otherwise, but it simply is not true. there is way more to riding one than being level headed and responsible. You can inadvertently open the throttle too much, or you can wheely unintentionally , if a sport bike is your thing, I would not start bigger than a 600. Though I don't care for them due to the lack of low RPM performance.

JH03Cobra
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
You can inadvertently open the throttle too much and wheely unintentionally on a 600 as well.......
These can both be avoided with responsibility....Steady confident hands....It really isn't like if you crank the throttle a tad too much you fly off the bike or wheely uncontrollably....I mean cmon.. lol

Troll
04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
lemme know what I look like when I blow by you at a buck eighty..
I bet you'll look like an organ donor, though when you hit the broad side of a chevy at 180 you'll probably smash all the good organs anyway. :goodidea:

Anybody with a decent credit report can go buy the brandest, newest, fastest sportbike on earth. Some people ride motorcycles for other reasons than going the fastest they can at all times.

OP, this dude is giving you bad advice. I'd rather be smart a spend a few bucks trading a bike in than be stupid and dead. :rolleyes:

JH03Cobra
04-16-2009, 10:30 PM
If you read my whole post....I was making a point in saying if you want to be comfortable on your bike, then buy a cruiser. I was stating that no one buys a sportbike to be totally comfortable... In no way, shape or form was I stating that I, myself drive around doing 180 in fact I've never gone that fast nor do I recommend going that fast at all which is why I have never laid a bike down nor been involved in a motorcycle accident in my riding days.
Apparently someone showed you how to copy and paste and make something look completely rediculous. You took a statement that was meant to be funny and tried bashing me for it...

ddmi-twin90gt
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I bet you'll look like an organ donor, though when you hit the broad side of a chevy at 180 you'll probably smash all the good organs anyway. :goodidea: :rotflol: Now that's funny!

Some people ride motorcycles for other reasons than going the fastest they can at all times.
Really? :sticktonge:

That must be why I want a cruiser to fill a void between 0 and 100 mph :rofl: :thmbsup:

Troll
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
You took a statement that was meant to be funny and tried bashing me for it...
Well, let me ask you this: Do you think that a 16 year-old person should buy a CAR like your Cobra as their first car?

Shorty429
04-16-2009, 11:16 PM
haha this has kind of turned into a battle between starting on a 1k bike vs. a 600, which was not intended.

So now let's change the point of discussion, how much would insurance on a early 2000's 600 be for an 18 year old college student? also, would a dealership allow me to finance a bike, or am i going to just have to save this summer and buy it next spring?

JH03Cobra
04-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Totally depends on the 16 year old....not the car...take my cousin for example, he recently turned 16 and gets to drive around a beefed up old charger with a shit ton of horsepower. His grandfather (no relation to me....which sucks haha) has a shop which for a decent amount of time my cousin got to hang around and see some badass cars and mess around with them. He respects the capabilities of the car he drives and does not get into trouble with it.

BUT as I stated before, these are my opinions. I did not want to start offending ppl as I know opinions vary. No need to bash my post...if you don't agree thats fine.

ddmi-twin90gt
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
So now let's change the point of discussion, how much would insurance on a early 2000's 600 be for an 18 year old college student? I'm 39 and I pay 528 a year full coverage + 3000 for accessories coverage on a 06 1000. You could be less on liability and more on full.

would a dealership allow me to finance a bike, or am i going to just have to save this summer and buy it next spring?
YOU BET THEY WILL!

JH03Cobra
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Sorry bout that Shorty....Insurance will more than likely be over a hundred a month at your age depending on your driving record. You should be able to get a bike financed depending on the dealer and your credit....Do you have any credit established?

Shorty429
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm 39 and I pay 528 a year full coverage + 3000 for accessories coverage on a 06 1000. You could be less on liability and more on full.

YOU BET THEY WILL!

do you have any idea about how much payments would be? maybe a shot in the dark? If not, i could run by this dealer on 22 on my way home from school tomorrow and ask them!

Sorry bout that Shorty....Insurance will more than likely be over a hundred a month at your age depending on your driving record. You should be able to get a bike financed depending on the dealer and your credit....Do you have any credit established?

No problem, no one was out of line, i was just trying to keep this thread going in a positive direction.:thumbsup: A lot of people have gave some very valuable/respected opinions.

As far as credit goes, i'm not sure. i don't have any credit cards or anything...the only thing related to a bank that i have is my savings account. How could i have credit?

Troll
04-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I financed my first bike at 18. I had no credit, like you. My mother (reluctantly) co-signed for me. You will need a co-signer. Someone close to you, like mother, father, older sibling.

Are any of them willing to do this? :goodidea:

scott5
04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
ok here it is.. Now a days they consider a bike has a "toy" and not so much needed. When i was in college i was looking at a brand new r6 10k roughly and i only got financed for 6k. So i mean looking at a brand new one without any money down i would say you cant get a brand new bike, maybe a used one but not brand new. But once i got out of college and started making big money all of a sudden i was able to get financed for 15k plus on a bike. but i just paid cash for my last one and was stupid to sell it so i could move back here.

Troll
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Keep in mind the price for insurance when you are talking about financing a bike.
As for your original post:
I've been riding about 4 years now. Started on a 2001 R1 with some light mods. I went through the same BS you are goin through with ppl tellin me to start on a 600 and I wont be able to handle a 1000, but lemme tell you it's just that...BS...
It's all about "you". If you put it in your head that a 1000 is too much bike, then it will be, but if you go about with confidence and responsibility than there is no reason not to start on a 1000. They way I looked at it was there was no way I was gonna buy a 600 just to sell it a couple months later when I knew I was gonna want a 1000. Get the bike you want.
As for your price range:
I just recently picked up my 2002 R1 so I've kinda had the price ranges on bikes scoped out a bit. 3k will not get you a decent Litre bike. 3600-4k will get you 1999-2001 Litre bike with mid-High miles. 4500-5500 can get you a 02-04 "nice" litre bike. Then above that you get into newer models which I havent really cared for to tell you the truth except the R1. My buddy has an 06 R1 and it is the shit. Don't get me wrong, you can always find that "awesome deal" out there, but chances are those are the prices you are going to be looking at. I found my 02 R1 with 10k miles for $4300 and to me that was a steal that I couldnt pass up especially because it has alot done to it.

And lastly for those that said a sportbike isn't comfortable at all....Most of the time I agree 100% but........who the hell buys a sportbike to be "comfortable"??
If you wanna be "comfortable" go buy a cruiser or dualsport bike and lemme know what I look like when I blow by you at a buck eighty.. (disclaimer: Do not attempt that without a couple years experience! haha)
Wasn't tryin to offend anyone, those are just my humble opinions. If you get a bike that you didnt really wanna get, you will regret it.

Feel free to Pm me with any questions you got man...and yes I still might be sellin the R1 i just picked up. Terry over at streetlethal has me convinced I need either a blower/turbo combo or a twin turbo on my cobra...haha

If you read my whole post....I was making a point in saying if you want to be comfortable on your bike, then buy a cruiser. I was stating that no one buys a sportbike to be totally comfortable... In no way, shape or form was I stating that I, myself drive around doing 180 in fact I've never gone that fast nor do I recommend going that fast at all which is why I have never laid a bike down nor been involved in a motorcycle accident in my riding days.
Apparently someone showed you how to copy and paste and make something look completely rediculous. You took a statement that was meant to be funny and tried bashing me for it...

Totally depends on the 16 year old....not the car...take my cousin for example, he recently turned 16 and gets to drive around a beefed up old charger with a shit ton of horsepower. His grandfather (no relation to me....which sucks haha) has a shop which for a decent amount of time my cousin got to hang around and see some badass cars and mess around with them. He respects the capabilities of the car he drives and does not get into trouble with it.

BUT as I stated before, these are my opinions. I did not want to start offending ppl as I know opinions vary. No need to bash my post...if you don't agree thats fine.

I did not mean to BASH your post and I did take one line out of context, but if YOU go back and re-read your first post, it sounds kinda cocky to me.

I've had sportbikes. Now, I have a cruiser. Yes, I still miss the handling, power, low-weight and speed. BUT, no need for you to mock me for wanting to have a cruiser and be "comfortable".

AND, this 18 year-old dude should not go buy a 600 or 1000 supersport. Period. I will argue with you about this to the ends of the earth. Good Luck. :rofl:

scott5
04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
yea goodluck arguing with troll.. you will lose.. sorry

Shorty429
04-17-2009, 12:02 AM
troll>god

period.

lol

stieny
04-17-2009, 02:55 AM
AND, this 18 year-old dude should not go buy a 600 or 1000 supersport. Period. I will argue with you about this to the ends of the earth. Good Luck. :rofl:

+1000, which has been stated a few times by myself. It has nothing to do with you "thinking" you can handle a supersport or saying if you're responsible then you will be fine on a 600 or 1K SS. It has everything to do with developing your riding skills which cannot happen very well if you're first bike is a modern or semi-modern supersport. Period.

There are only two kind of riders: ones that have been down and ones that will go down. Its just a matter of time so saying that someone has never been down is kind of a moot point.

Not to mention that going down is a learning point and part of the learning curve. You learn a lot about riding, your own riding capabilities and how to become a better rider by going down.

Now to answer the topic of finance and insurance: a dealership will finance you on a bike but be prepared to have full coverage on the bike if you finance it. A 18 year old with a SS will pay an extremely high price for full cover insurance. When I was pricing it on my 6R it was around $5000 - 6000 a year. Thats why I took out a personal loan and paid for mine in cash and only had liability on it which was like $425 a year. These were prices I was quoted when I was 18/19.

Doing what I did was a risk. If I wrecked the bike then I was out my money. It was a risk that paid off for me but isn't always the best choice so consider that as well.

JH03Cobra
04-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I know people that have been riding 15-20 years and have never been down.
Either way I'm done arguing on this point as we all could go on forever.

Troll: Didn't mean to sound cocky in that post, that line was supposed to be funny.
I have good friends that ride and agree with you guys that no one should start on a 1000 or even a 600. I personally dont agree is all. lol

scott5
04-17-2009, 08:46 AM
if you start on such a high cc bike. you dont develop your riding skills as quick or as well as you would on a lower cc bike. I started on a 600 and bought 2 750s up in NY and on the track at watkins glen i could blow past guys on 1k litre bikes that started out on them and have been riding way longer than me..

Shorty. Any interest in a 95 Vulcan 500? I could sell it to you for a lil less than what your looking to spend?

scott5
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
here is a pic of it
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/scottydc52000/Kawasaki21.jpg

ddmi-twin90gt
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
WoW! that's a clean bike for the year! How much anyway?

phillysrt4
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
If it were me, I would have to agree with Steiny's first post in this thread.

Going through what I went through in my riding experience, if you like the notion of learning to ride a sportbike, I would go with a ninja250 for the following reasons (most of which steiny touched on):

1) The power and handling characteristics are such that if you make a mistake in judgement or technique due to being an inexperienced rider you have a much better chance of coming out of it rubber side down.
2) When it comes to insurance, you are going to pay far less being a new rider since its only a 250cc bike.
3) In the context of the pre-2008 ninja250 (i.e. before the restyle), its a desirable bike due to (1) and (2). This means that you can buy a used one now and when you sell it at the end of the summer or the beginning of next year, you will lose next to nothing on the transaction because next year's new riders will want something they can learn on. Or you can use it as your summer daily and get a bigger bike for weekend warrior fun.
4) Its a reasonably well built bike.

If you're STILL not sure what to do, I suggest studying up and getting your permit and signing up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course. The advantage of this is that you review a lot of the safety notions in the "book portion" of the course and THEY provide motorcycles for the riding portion of it. If you pass the written and skills tests, you have your license at the end, a possible insurance discount, and a better idea of the power level that "intro" bikes have since thats what they use at the course.

I cannot endorse the MSF course enough for a rider with no previous experience whatsoever.

scott5
06-14-2009, 06:30 PM
you ever decide on a bike?

Shorty429
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm still looking for a good bike for a good price. i'm looking for an early 2000's late 90's 600cc bike at the most but can't find any around..it's a tough search. lol

scott5
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm still looking for a good bike for a good price. i'm looking for an early 2000's late 90's 600cc bike at the most but can't find any around..it's a tough search. lol

There is a buell blast up by my house for sale cheap. i think around 2k and the blasts are good start up bikes

scott5
06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp143/karnutz4/100_0669.jpg
Looks like this

Shorty429
06-15-2009, 09:22 PM
hmm. I'm fairly new to bikes and i haven't heard anything about buells. what cc is it?

04svtzx3
06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
i just got a 2007 ninja zx6r got 5100. It was my first bike ever. never owned dirtbikes or quads before. When i forst got it i was scared shitless, i would not take it past 55. Just give it time and like the others said do not hesitate. once you hesitate your done.

I have never dropped mine either (knock on wood).

just remember this one thing. ITS ONLY GONA GO AS FAST AS YOU GIVE IT THROTTLE. The more throttle you give it the faster you go and the less time you have to react to if somthing happens.

Just respect it and u will be fine

04svtzx3
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
if that buel is the one im thinking of its a 1200.

Its called a thunderbolt. It got a harley motor and its light as all hell. the gas tank is in the frame.

I dont sugguest that for a first bike,id do 600cc and under

04svtzx3
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
[quote=Shorty429;174113]do you have any idea about how much payments would be? maybe a shot in the dark? If not, i could run by this dealer on 22 on my way home from school tomorrow and ask them!

how old are u? im 22 nd i pay 70 a month full coverage

Shorty429
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
[quote=Shorty429;174113]do you have any idea about how much payments would be? maybe a shot in the dark? If not, i could run by this dealer on 22 on my way home from school tomorrow and ask them!

I'm only 18. I'll be 19 in October. I've had my license since the day i turned 16 1/2 and my record is clean, will this help me or since it's a bike does that have nothing to do with it?

scott5
06-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Who you have insurance thru?

if that buel is the one im thinking of its a 1200.

Its called a thunderbolt. It got a harley motor and its light as all hell. the gas tank is in the frame.

I dont sugguest that for a first bike,id do 600cc and under

NO its a blast and it only have 492cc and is the perfect beginner bike

SonofaBish
06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
at your age, you're going to pay a lot for insurance, unless you end up wiht a 250 Kawasaki...

I pay $120 a year on my R1, but that's for liability only. I would suggest getting Liability only and saving yourself some money. Here's why - i look at a motorcycle as a toy... if i were to get hit by someone else, they're insurance will pay for it. If i go and screw my bike up being a jackass, i'll just have to let it sit until i have enough money to fix it...

Just remember this - there's guys who have been down, and guys that will go down.... by being careful and responsible, you will limit your damages. WHen i was 17, i was hit on my dad's bike by the police chief of the town i was in ... other than that, i've been very lucky (knock on wood). Most beginner riders that lay their bike down are going to lay it down going very slow - either in gravel or turning in on a street or something. Thus, the damage you will cause will probably be less than your deductible if you have full coverage insurance - therefore further supporting the notion to get liability only.

I probably said it earlier in this thread at some point, but find a bike you like in your price range, make sure its reliable and not been rigged up at all, and go for it. My first bike was my dad's cruiser. My first sportbike was my TL1000R, and that was A LOT of bike to start on - but i was very responsible and ALWAYS respected the bike... i never underestimated it and the bike treated me great in the 3 years i owned it...

Do all of those things, and one day you'll be able to step up to a bike like my R1 and you'll be able to enjoy it even more, using the lessons and skills you've learned on your previous bikes.... However, if you wanted to start on a late 90's or early 2000's litre bike, there's no reason you couldn't... just don't be dumb and grab a handful of throttle...

04svtzx3
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
i got state farm.

I'm sorry all them buels look the same.

just take it easy and you will be fine. get a kawi there the best! :)

04svtzx3
06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
as long as your driving record is clean that will help, another thing that will help you insurance wise if if you take the motorcycle safty class. That will lower it too

mustang mark
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm looking to buy my first bike this summer or maybe next spring. Does anyone have a suggestion on what a good first bike would be? I've been on dirtbikes/quads a good bit but never a sport bike. I'm thinking about getting a used 600 but i don't want to spend more than 3k because i'm sure i'll dump it a time or two when i first start. any suggestions?supermoto or 600 i have 1 i might sale cbr-600 f4
year 2000 7000 miles yosh pipe k&n filter undertail kit

SonofaBish
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
get a kawi there the best! :)
bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah :rotflol::rofl:
the newer 636's are good bikes :goodidea:, but the older bikes are total junk... that's why people practically give them away... but it'd still be worthwhile to learn on and buy something bigger come next year....

as long as your driving record is clean that will help, another thing that will help you insurance wise if if you take the motorcycle safty class. That will lower it too
msf will help, but as i said earlier, a clean driving record isn't going to do you much when looking to insure a sportbike at your age... i'm an actuary - i do health insurance pricing - but as a part of my professional obligations, I understand how these types of products are priced... a basic population's historical experience is more reliable than a single individual's couple years of driving

supermoto or 600 i have 1 i might sale cbr-600 f4
this is a GREAT bike to start on... f4's and f4i's are very good beginner bikes

04svtzx3
06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
i wish i would of got a 636 i love those bikes. Dont get my wrong i love mine but the look of the 04-06 are the best. my next bike im getting a 04-06 zx10r.

Dude im sure you are not stupid or dumb. this goes with everything. (in this case a bike) It will only go as fast as you make it go. Keep in mind the repercussions and concueqences (spelling) for doing stupid things. everyone needs a little fear it keeps you on your toes.

A 600 is fine to start on, just dont be dumb. Don't do wheelies and endos that will get you into trouble. Trust me on this one!!!!

You dont buy a cobra thinking its gona get good gas milage. The same with a bike, you dont buy a streetbike for the looks.

Just be smart and dont be a dumbass, you will be fine.

Just make sure to find one in your price range.

Not everyone goes down. i have not (knock on wood).

One more thing to keep in concideration. If your financing the bike you have to have full coverage untill its paid off.

Shorty429
06-17-2009, 01:45 AM
supermoto or 600 i have 1 i might sale cbr-600 f4

PM me with a price! :jump:

And I have insurance through Erie/Kattan Feretti

SonofaBish
06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
PM me with a price! :jump:

And I have insurance through Erie/Kattan Feretti
Erie usually has the best car insurance rates, but state farm is definitely known to have the best motorcycle rates - problem is, they don't write motorcycle only policies (you have to have your car insured with them too) - unless you know someone of course :greedy:

Ask anyone who's been riding for more than a year or more than 2K miles, everyone has a bad experience... it comes down to your determination to get back on the bike and learn from your mistakes... if your like the guy above and think "not everyone goes down, i haven't... it probably won't happen to me b/c it hasn't happened yet," then you're definitely going to go down and get hurt... all b/c you're being too naive... sorry 04svtzx3, but you really seem to have a "it won't happen to me" attitude

Don't let my words scare you Shorty - but i've been riding since i got my permit as a 16 year old ... i'm 24 now, with about 45K miles under my belt on my 3 street bikes..... I've seen it all and I've even watched in my mirror what happens to guys when they get too brave ... i'm sure Dan (KBCobra) remembers what happens when someone who's not experienced tries to go outside of his limits... e.g., a couple years ago we were on a poker ride out in Indiana county... near then very end of the ride, a guy with only about a year of riding experience was behind me and we went through a "s" turn... i wasn't even pushing it in the slightest (hadn't even leaned off the bike an inch), and I watched in my rear mirrors as he went over the side of the road.. moral of the story: stay within your means and you'll be fine, but don't ever say "it won't happen to me" and begin to disrespect what the machine will do to you

KBCobra
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Erie usually has the best car insurance rates, but state farm is definitely known to have the best motorcycle rates - problem is, they don't write motorcycle only policies (you have to have your car insured with them too) - unless you know someone of course :greedy:

Ask anyone who's been riding for more than a year or more than 2K miles, everyone has a bad experience... it comes down to your determination to get back on the bike and learn from your mistakes... if your like the guy above and think "not everyone goes down, i haven't... it probably won't happen to me b/c it hasn't happened yet," then you're definitely going to go down and get hurt... all b/c you're being too naive... sorry 04svtzx3, but you really seem to have a "it won't happen to me" attitude

Don't let my words scare you Shorty - but i've been riding since i got my permit as a 16 year old ... i'm 24 now, with about 45K miles under my belt on my 3 street bikes..... I've seen it all and I've even watched in my mirror what happens to guys when they get too brave ... i'm sure Dan (KBCobra) remembers what happens when someone who's not experienced tries to go outside of his limits... e.g., a couple years ago we were on a poker ride out in Indiana county... near then very end of the ride, a guy with only about a year of riding experience was behind me and we went through a "s" turn... i wasn't even pushing it in the slightest (hadn't even leaned off the bike an inch), and I watched in my rear mirrors as he went over the side of the road.. moral of the story: stay within your means and you'll be fine, but don't ever say "it won't happen to me" and begin to disrespect what the machine will do to you

I sure do remember that. I believe you were leading? I was 2nd, then him... can't exactly remember. He went right into a corn or straw field or something, didn't have a scratch on him thank god. I seen that kid later that summer @ PRP. He was a little punk, was makin comments about me runnin 11.0x's all night on my stock R6 w/ a pipe, mean while he was sittin in the stands watchin...

Ughhh i gotta get my bike out, still haven't gotten a chance. soon!

04svtzx3
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
i wasnt trying to say i will never go down. i was just saying i have never been down so far. my bike scares me which keeps me on my feet. Thats why i said i believe everyone needs to be scared of there machine a little.

SonofaBish
06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I sure do remember that. I believe you were leading? I was 2nd, then him... can't exactly remember. He went right into a corn or straw field or something, didn't have a scratch on him thank god. I seen that kid later that summer @ PRP. He was a little punk, was makin comments about me runnin 11.0x's all night on my stock R6 w/ a pipe, mean while he was sittin in the stands watchin...

Ughhh i gotta get my bike out, still haven't gotten a chance. soon!
yea man - drop me a msg and we'll go riding... i found some nice new roads back behind sewickly toward wexford... can't really fly b/c they seem to be tightly watched, but a nice spirited pace would make for a nice quick ride....

Lots of riding out near Indiana if you're looking to go on a long ride too!

I wouldnt say 11.0x on a bone-stock R6 is bad... considering that the magz only got like mid-high 10's, 11.0's are pretty good .. gonna take A LOT of practice to launch a bike well enough to run great times

KBCobra
06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
yea man - drop me a msg and we'll go riding... i found some nice new roads back behind sewickly toward wexford... can't really fly b/c they seem to be tightly watched, but a nice spirited pace would make for a nice quick ride....

I wouldnt say 11.0x on a bone-stock R6 is bad... considering that the magz only got like mid-high 10's, 11.0's are pretty good .. gonna take A LOT of practice to launch a bike well enough to run great times

Yea i'll let u know. We should schedule a bike SCS ride or something maybe. My old man lives near there, right off the wexford 79 exit down bottom of hill off 910. He actually has a sewickley address I think, I know the area pretty well. And your right, those franklin park cops are dicks! I've hiddin in peoples driveways w/ the cobra around there on more then one occasion...:thmbsup:

And yes, launching a bike is a task lol.. I think the best 60' foot I ever had was a 1.9x, which means theres ALOT of ET left on the table.

ddmi-twin90gt
06-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Just get a bike that fits YOU! sit on them all and find one that you feel at home on. Legs, arms, hands, back and your ass, you have to ride it and if it doesn't feel good to you. You will not be able to ride it right and never feel comfortable doing so. After that, it's YOU that controls it and no one else. You will know if you can operate it or not. Not every body that has a motorcycle can really ride it. Like most like cars and bikes, they just operate them. Not really knowing how to do anything other than point it down the road and go. People that brag about how bad ass they are about riding a bike, really can't ride. I see it and hear it all the time. If your going to do stupid shit on it, it's your mistake and you will pay. Good luck on them, there all really nice bikes no matter what brand name they are. JUST get one that FITS YOU!

04svtzx3
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
im down for a ride i can get like 5-10 others to come.

ddmi-twin90gt
06-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Yea i'll let u know. We should schedule a bike SCS ride or something maybe. My old man lives near there, right off the wexford 79 exit down bottom of hill off 910. He actually has a sewickley address I think, I know the area pretty well. And your right, those franklin park cops are dicks! I've hiddin in peoples driveways w/ the cobra around there on more then one occasion...:thmbsup:

And yes, launching a bike is a task lol.. I think the best 60' foot I ever had was a 1.9x, which means theres ALOT of ET left on the table.

You know that for one Thing, bike like ours is not ment to be drag raced and gettin that not bad but, your clutch will be toast before to long LOL..

Come north with me and ride as fast as you want. I don't know how the hell anybody can drive anything fast down there and not get caught? Wast of time. I'll take you on some nice rides if you want too. I'm all ways up for a ride on the bike! Let me know!!!!

SonofaBish
06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
You know that for one Thing, bike like ours is not ment to be drag raced and gettin that not bad but, your clutch will be toast before to long LOL..

Come north with me and ride as fast as you want. I don't know how the hell anybody can drive anything fast down there and not get caught? Wast of time. I'll take you on some nice rides if you want too. I'm all ways up for a ride on the bike! Let me know!!!!
sounds good to me....

yes, you can't ride around the city at any sort of pace... there's a few places, but obviously nothing that will last very long... When i want a nice, long ride at a fast pace, I go back toward my parent's place...

I definitely would like to come up your way to ride... I'll try to figure out when I can go next... can't this weekend, but maybe next?

ddmi-twin90gt
06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I'm sure we can figure out something! Anybody else down for this?

04svtzx3
06-18-2009, 01:45 PM
count me in

travj31
06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
next weekend is thunder in the valley in johnstown... i suggest you guys make the trip (if you have never been there, its a nice event) and it would be a great ride from the burgh area. i'll def. be there and i believe scott said he would be also... maybe we can have an scs meet and greet???

scott5
06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
next weekend is thunder in the valley in johnstown... i suggest you guys make the trip (if you have never been there, its a nice event) and it would be a great ride from the burgh area. i'll def. be there and i believe scott said he would be also... maybe we can have an scs meet and greet???

heck yea. I was getting ready to pm you my number so we can get together before and ride in together

04svtzx3
06-19-2009, 02:59 AM
how far away are you guys from bridgeville? i'm not familiar with your location never been there

SonofaBish
06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
how far away are you guys from bridgeville? i'm not familiar with your location never been there
Johnstown is a good ways from bridgeville... i'd say it would be almost 2 hours - unless you take all major highways, which wouldn't be any fun on a bike...

04svtzx3
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
so where are alot of you guys from?

ddmi-twin90gt
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Butler 10 miles above it on route 268

travj31
06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
take the scenic route on a bike and it still wouldn't be too bad of a ride...id get on 40 near washington, take that the whole way to yough lake, cut across to get on 281 into somerset, and then old 219 into johnstown. that ride would probably be a little over 2 hours, but would be a nice ride...

Johnstown is a good ways from bridgeville... i'd say it would be almost 2 hours - unless you take all major highways, which wouldn't be any fun on a bike...

travj31
06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
live in uniontown now...

so where are alot of you guys from?