PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade

burntire
02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Ok Lou is paying me off big time to upgrade SCS.

Those of you on my site stop by a take a look at the new vbulletin software.

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/

Let me know about things you like or dislike as the same software version will be coming to SCS soon.:thumbsup:

u1arunit
02-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks good bring on the upgrade!

Martin0660
02-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Not a fan of the new vbulletin look / feel for some reason. What the heck do I know though, my favorite site is still running UBB Classic :D

Mitternacht
02-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Not a fan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

burntire
02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Not a fan. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lou is the boss and he want's an upgrade.

Can you be more specific on what you don't like?

Ignore my banner ads on the left.

pop's stang
02-21-2010, 01:02 AM

I think the new skin looks good guys. I like all the extra mod's that are install on your site. Very nice. :goodidea:

Mitternacht
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm just not one for change. I like the layout and feel of this forum better is all.

speedracer
02-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm just not one for change. I like the layout and feel of this forum better is all.
:iagree: everything here works and it loads quick. No touchy!!!

KBCobra
02-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Everything about it appears ugly. Layout, bigger fonts are terrible, ugly colors, I realize thats stuff that can likely be changeg though. Don't like how the the page is "centered" so to speak. The SCS we have now is perfect in my opinion, simple, basic, easy to view, straight to the point!

97LaserRed
02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Agreed... with the no touchy fellow.

billyNOTnice
02-21-2010, 12:10 PM
god please don't make it look like the corral... i still have feelings about that switch grrr...

Hawkeye
02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Not sure how that site will translate to this site, but I like SCS way better the way it is now. It's alot easier on the eyes.

Sonic03snake
02-21-2010, 04:48 PM
We need to upgrade, our stuff is out of date, the calendar doesn't work, we don't have a garage/timeslip area, ETC. The layout we have can remain closely the same I believe, right, Jeff?

speedracer
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
We need to upgrade,
hope and change was supposed to be an upgrade...

our stuff is out of date,
you mean classic

the calendar doesn't work,

I have one here

we don't have a garage/timeslip area, ETC.
I know how fast my stuff is ECT...

The layout we have can remain closely the same I believe, right, Jeff?
again... hope and change

Martin0660
02-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Lou, it's your little part of the world but ....

I don't see those features making it worth dealing with a site like the link provided as an example. I would never go there .... site loads headers, crap ads, banners, etc, then the forum... so much crap there you have to scroll down a page to even find the forum. I hope that isnt what is planned here.

dpstang98gt
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
i like how the site is now but if it does change maybe think about putting a message board on top of the site like how buckeyestangs has theirs, if its even a option?

wick
02-21-2010, 07:05 PM

I don't see those features making it worth dealing with a site like the link provided as an example. I would never go there .... site loads headers, crap ads, banners, etc, then the forum... so much crap there you have to scroll down a page to even find the forum. I hope that isnt what is planned here.

Yes, exactly. And the Corral comment, I couldnt agree more. That place really sucks now!!!!!!!!!!!

John4cam
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes, exactly. And the Corral comment, I couldnt agree more. That place really sucks now!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, this site is so easy to use, and it works.

pop's stang
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Everyone, you need to keep a site like this up to date with the latest upgrades. Sometimes its just better to get a better program rather than trying to update the one you have. Lou and his web designer will put together a site im sure everyone will like. :)

u1arunit
02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Right! There are a lot of security holes in the old program to think about as well.

wick
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Then we can add Car of the month and trader feedback and such. :thmbsup:

Sonic03snake
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I have no plan to add side banners, and all the other stuff. Maybe one small google bar in the middle of the posts to generate a few bucks for the site to recoupe the expenses incoured for these upgrades. Mark (U1ARUNIT) brought up another good point, the security issues with spam bots keep me checking every registration before letting them in. The other plus is easier picture posting and auto resizing.

John4cam
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Then we can add Car of the month and trader feedback and such. :thmbsup:

Good idea here...

cwh19
02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Trader feedback would be cool like mentioned above.

burntire
02-21-2010, 11:14 PM
The layout we have can remain closely the same I believe, right, Jeff? Yes for the most part.

Sonic03snake
02-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes for the most part.
How about the trader feedback?

burntire
02-21-2010, 11:19 PM

I don't see those features making it worth dealing with a site like the link provided as an example. I would never go there .... site loads headers, crap ads, banners, etc, then the forum... so much crap there you have to scroll down a page to even find the forum. I hope that isnt what is planned here. When members register on my site the banners get smaller and you don't have to scroll down to see the forums. All that crap helps pay the $1,500 yearly bill.

burntire
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Everything about it appears ugly. Layout, bigger fonts are terrible, ugly colors, I realize thats stuff that can likely be changeg though. Don't like how the the page is "centered" so to speak. The SCS we have now is perfect in my opinion, simple, basic, easy to view, straight to the point! Blue Carbon Fiber is Ugly? Bigger Fonts??? Do you hear that Lou he says the font is too big after you told me the opposite. Maybe Lou needs glasses. LOL:rofl:

burntire
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
How about the trader feedback?
They do have a mod for that.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=232044

burntire
02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
This works well on killing the spammers.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=236117

Wolfpack Speed
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I think a software upgrade is an excellent idea! It doesn't necessarily have to change the look and feel of this site. It's worth it for the security upgrades alone but the time slip and jpeg resizing, amongst other features, would be nice features to add. I post a lot of pictures on here, resizing to post is a real pain in the a$$!

TooFast98Cobra
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
looks like buckeye stangs, not a good idea

burntire
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
looks like buckeye stangs, not a good idea This site is getting updated. This was not a should it be updated thread. I am looking for feedback. What do you not like about buckeye stangs?

This software is a few years old. There has been a ton of security updates since I lasted updated things here. A hacker gets it and its all over site gone, everyones emails and password exposed, then a bunch of work to get things restored. This version of vbulletin will eventually become unsupported (no updates) and it will be updated to the latest version.

burntire
02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I think a software upgrade is an excellent idea! It doesn't necessarily have to change the look and feel of this site. It's worth it for the security upgrades alone but the time slip and jpeg resizing, amongst other features, would be nice features to add. I post a lot of pictures on here, resizing to post is a real pain in the a$$!

We can add all that stuff. :thmbsup:

scott5
02-22-2010, 05:34 PM
how about a way to change the title of a thread you posted?

for example i posted about selling my suspension as a whole but changed my mind and would like to change the title to parting out suspension etc etc...

That possible?

burntire
02-22-2010, 07:41 PM
how about a way to change the title of a thread you posted?

for example i posted about selling my suspension as a whole but changed my mind and would like to change the title to parting out suspension etc etc...

That possible?

That can be done.

AdamantiumSilvr
02-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Keeping it up to date with the years a bit and having a newer fresher look wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do.

Sonic03snake
02-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Keeping it up to date with the years a bit and having a newer fresher look wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do.
Im not much for changing things that work either but we need to do this for preventative maintainence.:thumbsup:

97LaserRed
02-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Can anyone explain the reputation points to me and what they do and/or used for?

John4cam
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Im not much for changing things that work either but we need to do this for preventative maintainence.:thumbsup:

I never realized it would make the site that much more protected. If thats the case then I don't blame you at all.

I guess after a while you get used to something and don't want change...

AdamantiumSilvr
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
True that Lou, its always good to keep the site protected n safe from online viruses/bugs and what not.

Sonic03snake
02-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I copied this from another board, haven't had time to do my own but everyone is curious.

What is reputation?
Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.
Reputation may be positive , negative, or neutral. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.
How do I give reputation?
To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?
You can view the reputation that you have received in your (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.
How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?
You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.

burntire
02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
The site is now upgraded to the newest 3.8 version. The 4.0 version will come in the future.

wick
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM
This isnt bad.

scott5
02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
It too late to have a suggestion?

I seen lou added a non ford muscle section, any chance a two-wheeled section be added? So people with motorcycles/dirtbikes and other toys have a chance to go and not clutter off-topic?

Sonic03snake
02-26-2010, 10:57 PM

I seen lou added a non ford muscle section, any chance a two-wheeled section be added? So people with motorcycles/dirtbikes and other toys have a chance to go and not clutter off-topic?
Im working on it. :thumbsup:

KeystoneJohnny
02-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I say whatever it is Lou we will get used to it. No big Deal. Trader Feedack definately a good idea.

scott5
02-27-2010, 05:16 AM
im liking it..

wick
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM

Isnt that what "In the dirt" was.

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

scott5
02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Isnt that what "In the dirt" was.

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

you cant ride a motorcycle in the dirt:sticktonge:

actually i totally forgot about that section cause no one uses it..
:duh:

Sonic03snake
02-28-2010, 12:13 AM
you cant ride a motorcycle in the dirt:sticktonge:

actually i totally forgot about that section cause no one uses it..
:duh:
Bike section will be up shortly.:awsome: