PDA

View Full Version : Nelson's Ledges Track Day Oct. 10

Mark Aubele
09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
There is a track day coming up at Nelson's Oct.10. The ohio SVT club is hosting it, so I imagine there will be plenty of mustangs there. I will be in my Cobalt, may even try to coax my wife out on track in her Fusion Sport. Only $100.

http://www.torquedracingsolutions.com/

venom
09-20-2010, 02:35 PM
$100 is a deal!!!

I havent been there in years.

95V6
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
My dad raced there in the late 60s early 70s. Ill have to post of some pictures of his Lotus 18, Brabham and other goodies.

no1sirbutler
09-20-2010, 05:32 PM
any restrictions? I wanna come play

03 OW SVT
09-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Years ago I dated a girl that went to Hiram College and I would go to Nelson Ledges for a day on the wkend. Man did that piss her off. I may try and come up to this. Thanks for the info.

TYR FRYR
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I'll be there.

Barry - Cool memories!

no1sirbutler
09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll be there.

Barry - Cool memories!

any special licensing needed and what do I need to do to the car(tape lights and such)? Im planning on coming

95V6
09-22-2010, 12:51 AM
I'll be there.

Barry - Cool memories!

Defently, I might try to drag him out to this event. I am sure he has not been there in 20 plus years.

venom
09-22-2010, 07:02 AM
any special licensing needed and what do I need to do to the car(tape lights and such)? Im planning on coming

It's been years since I've been there, but back then you only needed a helmet and money. They would give you a wrist band to show that you paid. Based on your track expirience they would separate everyone into 3 groups. After the groups are established, fire up the car, and tear it up. That's all.

no1sirbutler
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Ill be there....hope to see some of you there.

03 OW SVT
09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Ill be there....hope to see some of you there.

Did you sign up already??

no1sirbutler
09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
just did!!!!!!!!!!

03 OW SVT
09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Just signed up. Looks like there's about 13 cars so far.:thmbsup:

no1sirbutler
09-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah I saw that. If not many cars show should be even more track time.

03 OW SVT
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah I saw that. If not many cars show should be even more track time.

If you've never been to one of these before make sure you have enough gas. When i went to my 1st one i went through almost a full tank of gas within 4 sessions.

no1sirbutler
09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
If you've never been to one of these before make sure you have enough gas. When i went to my 1st one i went through almost a full tank of gas within 4 sessions.

thanks...its my first one and I was actually planning on filling up right before I head in

somethingclever
09-23-2010, 11:49 PM
<---- Has ran out of gas last session of the day....

Mark Aubele
09-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Only 13 so far? We haven't signed up yet, I am about 60&#37; there convincing the wife to do her first track day. I'll be there in the Cobalt on junk tires, should still be fun. No1SirButler, have you ever done a track day?

Mark Aubele
09-24-2010, 08:30 AM
thanks...its my first one and I was actually planning on filling up right before I head in

Sorry, I should read more.

03 OW SVT
09-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Is anyone trailering there car besides me?

Mark Aubele
09-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Is anyone trailering there car besides me?

We aren't trailering (no reason both cars are stock down to the air filters) but a bunch of people usually do. Are you worried about room to park? They have PLENTY.

03 OW SVT
09-25-2010, 09:22 PM
We aren't trailering (no reason both cars are stock down to the air filters) but a bunch of people usually do. Are you worried about room to park? They have PLENTY.

No! just worried about breaking the car and not being able to get it home. Its over an hour drive for me. I don't want to pay the tow bill.

See ya there:goodidea:

no1sirbutler
09-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Im driving 3hrs to get there and doubt ill break anything dont plan on pushing it that hard.

Mark Aubele
09-26-2010, 12:03 AM
No! just worried about breaking the car and not being able to get it home. Its over an hour drive for me. I don't want to pay the tow bill.

See ya there:goodidea:

Tow 'er then! :hyper:

03 OW SVT
09-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Im driving 3hrs to get there and doubt ill break anything dont plan on pushing it that hard.

I do! I'm gonna drive it like i stole it.

no1sirbutler
09-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I do! I'm gonna drive it like i stole it.

haha thats great to hear. I prolly will once I warm up a lil and get used to how things are susposed to go out there.

somethingclever
09-26-2010, 10:07 PM
haha thats great to hear. I prolly will once I warm up a lil and get used to how things are susposed to go out there.

That's the ticket.....only drive to your comfort level. :goodidea:

It keeps you and everyone else out there safe.

Mark Aubele
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I will be happy to take anyone that is interested out on track, I am not instructing for them or anything, but I would be happy to help anybody out. If you want to see the track at speed first, anyone that wants can jump in the Cobalt with me. Not really sure the level of instruction available, the times I have been at Nelson's were pretty much a free for all, but the usually do separate driver's by skill level, i.e. beginner, intermediate and advanced run groups.

03 OW SVT
09-27-2010, 03:53 AM
I will be happy to take anyone that is interested out on track, I am not instructing for them or anything, but I would be happy to help anybody out. If you want to see the track at speed first, anyone that wants can jump in the Cobalt with me. Not really sure the level of instruction available, the times I have been at Nelson's were pretty much a free for all, but the usually do separate driver's by skill level, i.e. beginner, intermediate and advanced run groups.

Mark, I'd prefer to have an instructor go with me the 1st time or too, only because I've never been on that particular course. Once I learn the grid it's balls to the wall.:biglaugh:

Mark Aubele
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Mark, I'd prefer to have an instructor go with me the 1st time or too, only because I've never been on that particular course. Once I learn the grid it's balls to the wall.:biglaugh:

I'm not even sure if they have any. I am at the very least going to try and take my wife around before she drives out there, just to show her the track. I have some video around here somewhere, and I think there is something on youtube from 5 years ago. I will try to find it. Track is pretty easy, and way easier on the car than BR.

03 OW SVT
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm not even sure if they have any. I am at the very least going to try and take my wife around before she drives out there, just to show her the track. I have some video around here somewhere, and I think there is something on youtube from 5 years ago. I will try to find it. Track is pretty easy, and way easier on the car than BR.

There's a vid. on there website that i've watched a couple times just to get a ruff idea of what that track is like.

Yeah BR can be very hard on the car, especially the left front tire.

no1sirbutler
09-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Im in the same boat as you. Im hoping I can just start in the back of the pack and feel out the course just like on a new mountain back road. If you have time Mark I would love some pointers. I figure after a couple sessions Ill pretty much know the course and how things are supposed to go(at least I hope it goes this way lol)

Gastrader1
09-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Very fun track in the dry. It is remarkably fast for having pavement in the conditions they have. However, in the rain, be careful. More than one person on this board has found there car parked on top of the tire walls.

Mark Aubele
09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Very fun track in the dry. It is remarkably fast for having pavement in the conditions they have. However, in the rain, be careful. More than one person on this board has found there car parked on top of the tire walls.

I have been lucky enough to have kept it off of the tire wall in the wet, but I have found the grass on a couple occasions!

venom
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
More than one person on this board has found there car parked on top of the tire walls.

I've hit the tire wall before!!!

:thmbsup:

03 OW SVT
09-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the tip. I don't think they are going to let us run in the rain. There is a rain date on the 16th i believe.

Mark Aubele
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. I don't think they are going to let us run in the rain. There is a rain date on the 16th i believe.

I saw that too, weird. Track days rarely get cancelled for rain.

03 OW SVT
10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Looks like 17 have registered so far.

Weather is looking good for the 10th also. I hope it stays that way.:woot1:

TYR FRYR
10-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm already signed up and so is my 18 year old daughter.
But, I broke a tie rod and hit a guardrail at BR today, so now I'm not sure if we'll make it.
I should know tomorrow.

Mark Aubele
10-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm already signed up and so is my 18 year old daughter.
But, I broke a tie rod and hit a guardrail at BR today, so now I'm not sure if we'll make it.
I should know tomorrow.

Good luck! Good thing it wasn't way worse. Where did you go off?

no1sirbutler
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow that sucks...how bad was the damage?

TYR FRYR
10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Turn 7 - in full view of everyone, of course.
Cold, wet track, and I lifted at the wrong time.
Once I hit the wet grass, I slide for a long time before finding that guardrail.
Here are some pictures:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/LKS613/6ece039d.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/LKS613/e0b12e27.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/LKS613/0bfc78e7.jpg

Also got both wheels, passenger side mirror, and the tie rod.

Mike - how are going to Nelson Ledges? MapQuest has me going up Ohio 11 to I-80.
I was going to ask if you wanted to caravan, but it may be a moot point!

no1sirbutler
10-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Mapquest has me hitting OH 11 but only like 3 miles from the track. Ill goin in from north of Pittsburgh. Since its a 3+ hr drive, Ill be coming up saturday evening and getting a hotel room.

Hope you can get it fixed enough to make it.

03 OW SVT
10-04-2010, 04:09 AM
^^Sorry to see that man. Hope you can get it temporaily fixed to run on Sunday. Turn 7 can be a bitch. Did you break the tie-rod when you hit the guardrail or was it the cause of the tie-rod breaking that caused you to wreck.

03 OW SVT
10-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Edit

TYR FRYR
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Mapquest has me hitting OH 11 but only like 3 miles from the track. Ill goin in from north of Pittsburgh. Since its a 3+ hr drive, Ill be coming up saturday evening and getting a hotel room.

Hope you can get it fixed enough to make it.

Thanks, Mike, so do I! I guess I could bring the Camaro, but I hope not!
Safe travels.

TYR FRYR
10-04-2010, 11:36 PM
^^Sorry to see that man. Hope you can get it temporaily fixed to run on Sunday. Turn 7 can be a bitch. Did you break the tie-rod when you hit the guardrail or was it the cause of the tie-rod breaking that caused you to wreck.

Good question. One of the (many!) problems I'm having it feeling what is happening soon enough to react correctly. I have no experience, so I could be way off.
There was a loud 'thunk' on Turn 1, but steering was fine until 7, so I am not sure if that was anything.
I think it may have broken when I went off the edge of the pavement. The damage to the front end and wheel just doesn't seem bad enough to have caused the break on impact.

Parts will be in on Wednesday and I'll post some pix when she is in the air.

no1sirbutler
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Anyone wanna pit together for this? I think it would make the day even more enjoyable.

Mark Aubele
10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone wanna pit together for this? I think it would make the day even more enjoyable.

Everyone will be pitted together. If you want some company, look for the black Cobalt SS and Fusion Sport.

no1sirbutler
10-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Will do. I would like to meet you esp after we have talked on here for so long.

no1sirbutler
10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
BUMP

Tyrfryr....did you have any luck getting your car fixed?

TYR FRYR
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Yes, Shelby is ready to go; I hope I am.

They released new info this morning with a schedule:

Mike and I made the front page for pictures and 28 are signed up so far, including a Grabber Orange Roush.

I think it would be good to pit close together. I've met Mike a couple of times, but it would be nice to put faces with cars and names. Are there 4, plus 2 'guests' from SCS going?

03 OW SVT
10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes, Shelby is ready to go; I hope I am.

They released new info this morning with a schedule:

Mike and I made the front page for pictures and 28 are signed up so far, including a Grabber Orange Roush.

I think it would be good to pit close together. I've met Mike a couple of times, but it would be nice to put faces with cars and names. Are there 4, plus 2 'guests' from SCS going?

Shhweet!!! glad you got it fixed at least enough to take it there. I'll be there with the car in tow around 7AM or so. Should be a good time. Weather is supposed to be perfect.:thmbsup:

Mark Aubele
10-08-2010, 04:26 PM

My wife and I are registering tonight, we will be there. Black fusion and cobalt.

no1sirbutler
10-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Me and the g/f will be there right around 7-730....cant wait

Mark Aubele
10-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I think we are going to grab a hotel room. Driver's meeting at 8, WTF.

no1sirbutler
10-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Im doin the same. Headed up this afternoon to get a room and a decent dinner. That way Im not up at 3am to drive up there lol

no1sirbutler
10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Just arrived in warren at the days inn. actually pretty nice and cheap. see you all in the morning

03 OW SVT
10-10-2010, 05:27 AM
On my way.:D

Mark Aubele
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Good to put faces to No1sirbutler, CST03, TYRFRYR, and her daughter Leah (Danica Patrick?). Had a great time with you guys today, hopefully we can all hit up another funday next year.

no1sirbutler
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Good to put faces to No1sirbutler, CST03, TYRFRYR, and her daughter Leah (Danica Patrick?). Had a great time with you guys today, hopefully we can all hit up another funday next year.

No doubt man...you are a freakin driving machine. Im completely amazed at what you had the cobalt doin out there. I had a blast and learned alot. Nice meeting the new people I havent and cant wait for the next one.

03 OW SVT
10-11-2010, 03:49 AM

Good to meet you to Mark, and your wife and the others. Sounds like a plan to me, going to another fun day. These people that only do that 1/4 mile stuff don't know what there missing.

Btw Mark, you are a driving m-fer.

speedracer
10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
These people that only do that 1/4 mile stuff don't know what there missing.

Road racing and circle track racing take 100x the talent and stones as drag racing.

OliveU2
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
It was great meeting everyone as well. I had a blast, even though all I did was watch from the sidelines. I think the bug bit me pretty hard when Mike finally took me out on the track in his car. Definitely consider us in for this sometime next year, and I'll make sure I have a car there to run as well.

no1sirbutler
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
SpeedRacer...you should come to one of these. I had a blast and wish it wasnt the end of the season.

speedracer
10-11-2010, 10:53 AM
SpeedRacer...you should come to one of these. I had a blast and wish it wasnt the end of the season.

I would like to... My car needs a few things before I do anything at the track.

no1sirbutler
10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Not necessarily...Mark destroyed the track in his cobalt and fusion. That man can flat out drive and it was amazing to watch.

speedracer
10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I need new brakes... And some new tires. Maybe a cooling mod or two also.

TYR FRYR
10-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Leah and I had a great time, too. I struggled, but she did not!
After the last session, she got out with the comment that she was out of gas. Just as she said that, they announced another session. I handed her the Shelby key and she got a little taste of snake venom.
Here is a crappy cell phone video of a few laps. The first two laps are earlier in the day and she is just behind Mike, the next three are her in the GT500. She spins out at about 1:30 on the video.
Leah.mp4 video by LKS613 - Photobucket

03 OW SVT
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I would like to... My car needs a few things before I do anything at the track.

Greg, in all seriousness all you need is a good set of brake pads. I have Hawk Performance Plus pads and they never fadded on me.

03 OW SVT
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Leah and I had a great time, too. I struggled, but she did not!
After the last session, she got out with the comment that she was out of gas. Just as she said that, they announced another session. I handed her the Shelby key and she got a little taste of snake venom.
Here is a crappy cell phone video of a few laps. The first two laps are earlier in the day and she is just behind Mike, the next three are her in the GT500. She spins out at about 1:30 on the video.
Leah.mp4 video by LKS613 - Photobucket (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/LKS613/?action=view&current=Leah.mp4)

She did a nice save on that. At least she didn't end up in the tires like the guys in the Porsche and Lotus.

no1sirbutler
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Pretty nice video....so when is she getting a Shelby? lol

somethingclever
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
cool vid and nice save in the shelby....When I was there last fall crewing for my buddy's bike race, I liked going down to the tire wall and watching the bikes coming on the front straight and wheelie-ing over the little hump at the beginning...looks like a fast track but I've never been around it. (but plan to in the near future)

no1sirbutler
10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
They say its the fastest road course in the country.

Gastrader1
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
It is insanely quick for having such a hodge podge of pavement. However, I would not say it is the fastest. I have never got out of 4th gear there, but at Road America, Monticello, and VIR to name a few I have to use 5th gear, At Monticello I could have used another gear if I had it. Nelson Ledges is a blast to run int he dry though.

Mark Aubele
10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Not necessarily...Mark destroyed the track in his cobalt and fusion. That man can flat out drive and it was amazing to watch.

Thank you for the kind words! But the Fusion driver was my wife at her first track day. I was amazed at how well she was driving having only done a couple autocrosses. I was driving the cobalt though :goodidea:.

no1sirbutler
10-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Def want to do a ride along w/ you on the next one. I have a feeling you could teach me a lot in one session.

Mark Aubele
10-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Def want to do a ride along w/ you on the next one. I have a feeling you could teach me a lot in one session.

Sure man, anytime. Hopefully I will be there in something a bit more interesting next year.

Mark Aubele
10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Here are a couple links to the event from Nelson's. CST03, No1Sirbutler, TYRFRYR and my wife's Fusion pics are in here, Cobalt is mysteriously absent in all but a couple!

http://media.torquedracingsolutions.com/Track-Days/Nelson-Ledges-October-2010

http://markus.smugmug.com/Track-Day-Automotive-Photos/2010-Open-Track-Days/SVT-Day-10102010/14133474_eNAfC#1042227939_7WQbg

Ton of pics in here. No1Sir, my wife, and TYRFRYR/Leah were in group C, CST03 was in B, I was in A.

03 OW SVT
10-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Thanks for posting that Mark. I saw that on the website. I think there gonna post a vid too.

TYR FRYR
10-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry for the bump, but I haven't been here for awhile.

I downloaded 42 pictures with one of us in it, but only saw one with a black Cobalt.

Leah is at Lime Rock today, lucky girl. She goes to school in MA and had about 1.5 hours through the hills to the track this morning.

If you are going to ride along with Mark, be sure to tighten your big boy panties...
"umm, tires are cold..." Yeesh

Sounds like your car does need a few parts now, Greg (sorry, btw), but don't forget new brake fluid. The best pads won't stop you if your fluid looks like coffee.

AdamantiumSilvr
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Ahhh that Red 95 GT is the guy who raced me first round in the NMRA BracketIII's out at National Trail. We BS'd in the staging lanes with him and his buddy that u see in those pics in the 99'-04' Blue GT w/ the Kenne Bell. If you look in the MM&FF January 11' issue I saw Mike with the Red 95' GT in the readers rides Snap Shots section! Its a HUGE world but yet ssooooo small, lol!