PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding the AC system

DRRummel
03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I am prepping my car for paint and I pulled the engine. I got a little carried away and have pulled most of everything out. All that is left is the power steering / brake booster and master cylinder / AC components. I am about to go out and pull the brakes and power steering pump. That leaves the AC parts. How do I recover the Freon (R-12)? If I have to discharge the system without a recovery system, I don’t see how that can be done safely for me or the environment.

Viper_ed
03-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Just let it bleed into the air and get the fittings to convert it to R-134a when you put it back on. Just remember to pump the lines down with a vacum pump before recharging the system.

You will have to pump the lines down at least twice to get all of the air and moisture out with the vacum pump. You'll know you've done it enough when it stops loosing vacum.

DRRummel
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I have read warning about frostbite. Is this a real problem? It a rapidity discharge the system how to I get the compressor oil back into the system? I thought the Compressor oil for R12 (mineral oil (5GS)?) is not compatible with the R132a oil (PAG?)?

Viper_ed
03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I have read warning about frostbite. Is this a real problem? It a rapidity discharge the system how to I get the compressor oil back into the system? I thought the Compressor oil for R12 (mineral oil (5GS)?) is not compatible with the R132a oil (PAG?)?

If you just crack the line open and let it bleed out, frostbite will not be an issue. This is assuming you don't hold your hand there after you do it! :doh:

Not sure on the oil question. I had a buddy that did automotive A/C work convert mine over. The connectors were the only thing I noticed different afterwards. I have since removed everything from the car, so I never had to recharge it.

Pure Stock
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Just let it bleed into the air .

Ozone slayer:sticktonge:

Viper_ed
03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Ozone slayer:sticktonge:

:twothumbsup:

loutheplumbr
03-14-2007, 05:14 PM
try to find R-414b aka Hot Shot by icor it runs a very simular pressure and tempatures as R-12 plus there is no oil compatibilty problems