PDA

View Full Version : Finally some progress

Martin0660
03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I've finally been home long enough to make some more progress with the Capri :thumbsup:

AEM Wideband O2 sensor installed, Disco light AF gauge removed :D

I ran all the wires for datalogging the wideband, RPM, MAP, and ultimately MAF.

New shifter handle with line lock button installed and all the wiring run for that. The upper intake has to come off to install the line lock, so i'm going to open it up for a Super Coupe 65mm TB I have laying around. I will need to redo the cold side plumbing for the MAF anyway, might as well get that on there ;)

Spec Stage 3+ clutch goes in Saturday. I will also throw the rear Eibach launch springs in, and change the rear shocks to pin mounts while i'm in there.

After the clutch swap, I can put the interior all back in with new carpet.

I'm going to wait to get some baseline runs with this cam, then will swap in the A237 on its own so we can see what its really worth.

Its starting to come together.

Bob Myers

lib88stang
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Can't wait to see it Bob, I thought it was very impressive last year. Got mine coming along also, should have the motor and tranny in this weekend.

lib88stang
03-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Also wanted to ask, whats the difference in the ranger roller and the a237?
and what downpipe are you running? where did you get it?

turbo83coupe
03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
:pepper: :pepper: :goodidea:

Martin0660
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Also wanted to ask, whats the difference in the ranger roller and the a237?

The ranger roller is a stock ranger cam, its really mild, but the events really favor the turbo engines, its nothing fancy, just a cam that doesent do anything "wrong". Its got good bottom end, but some claim its a little dead up top (not my experience)

The A237 is an OLD Ford motorsport piece, a bunch more lift, and a little rough on the idle. Probably not the best turbo cam by todays standards. Its intersesting to me as its a 3500 - 7000 rpm cam, might let me run 1st and 2nd gears out a little further. With the 3:97 1st and 3:73 rear, I'm shifting as fast as the car moves ;)

and what downpipe are you running? where did you get it?

My exhasut is 3" from turbo to back bumper. Its a Sacremento Mustang 3" downpipe, I made the intermediate pipe, a Hooker aerochmaber muffler, and a 3" flowmaster tailpipe on the drivers side.

Bob Myers

sutyak
03-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Bob I've always heard a chambered muffler is no good for a turob application..
Isn't the aerochamber a chambered muffler?

On a side note you make me want a Capri to play with! :)

yeahloh95
03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
GLAD to hear its coming along, if you need help with the clutch let me know i'm not that far away and would be glad to help.:goodidea:

Martin0660
03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Bob I've always heard a chambered muffler is no good for a turob application.. Isn't the aerochamber a chambered muffler?

On a side note you make me want a Capri to play with! :)

You are VERY correct that chambered mufflers are bad with turbo's, but Hooker did a terrible job naming these things. Mine is a 3" offset / offset muffler, and I can stick a yard stick straight through it :D The "chamber" part comes from the enlarged chamber on the outlet end that mellows the sound. Its not "chambered" like Flowmaster or MAC mufflers. Whats bad is mufflers designed to bounce sound waves around inside a "chamber". The turbine removes all those pulse and they just act as a flow restriction.

Stay away from Capri's, they are the Mustang's evil twin ;) I cant count how many times I've been asked what year my Mustang is, or what kinda tail lights are those on my Mustang, or where did I get the flares for my Mustang. Nobody has ever heard of them.

GLAD to hear its coming along, if you need help with the clutch let me know i'm not that far away and would be glad to help.:goodidea:

I appreciate that, but I think I got it. I just put a clutch in last spring and anti-siezed all the bolts, it should go pretty easy. I've got a local buddy going to help too.

Bob Myers

yeahloh95
03-22-2007, 06:33 AM
i can't wait to hear how that clutch is, as thats the one i think i want to go with .:goodidea:

Killercanary
03-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Bob, its nice to see that you are makingf progress. Good luck and keep us posted!

I do have one question for you. I'm about 90% sure that sometime down the road I will be running an AEM stand alone in my car. I want to buy a wideband this year for the car and would like to get the AEM but I'm not aware of it being able to datalog without the AEM ECU. Can you tell me more about how you are datalogging with it? If there is a way to do it then it makes my decision much easier to buy the AEM wide band.

Martin0660
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
i can't wait to hear how that clutch is, as thats the one i think i want to go with .:goodidea:

I know two guys with them behind 2.3's and they seem to be working well. We will see, its pretty expensive (>$400.00) but rated for 525 ft/lbs of torque. Too many guys are trashing the Spec 3's behind 2.3's for my liking.

Can you tell me more about how you are datalogging with it? If there is a way to do it then it makes my decision much easier to buy the AEM wide band.

There are a bunch of good points to the AEM wideband. Its pretty reasonable in price considering it has a gauge with it, and replacement sensors arent too bad. There are two ways to datalog off of it. Off the gauge itself, there are two outputs, one 0-5V and another serial.

You can make up a simple serial connector and datalog right to a laptop, no software, just a windows utility (not how i'm going).

You can use the 0-5V signal and measure it any number of ways. You can use a voltmeter that records (fluke makes good ones) or you can take it to any number of other devices.

I am using a really inexpensive sensor interface from Innovate http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ssi_4.php
With this, I have RPM in channel 1 (must be there), 0-5V from Wideband into channel 2, 0-5 from a 3 bar map sensor into channel 3, and will be using channel 4 to datalog MAF voltages when I'm playing with that. After its done tuning, it will be changed to TPS. The neat thing is, Innovate uses one software package for all of their products, and you can add devices from them via serial daisy chain.

If you want to go a step further, the AuxBox is really cool, just more than I wanted to get into. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lma3.php
It has onboard MAP, and takes thermocouple inputs if you have a need. The other real tool is the built in 2-Axis Accelerometer, that would help to street tune a stand alone if desired.

You could always go with the Innovate wideband and XD-16 gauge, I just didnt get a warm feeling about them ,and the AEM was a less upfront cost.

Bob Myers

Martin0660
03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I got the Spec 3+ clutch installed today, it a grappy SOB, but should smooth a little after break in (I hope). Welded full length subframes done, rebuilt and re-enforced torque boxes done too (PITA). Got my bung for my wideband welded in so thats working. Swapped the rear springs for a set of Eibach launch springs, and tossed on a set of adjustable shocks I have here. i'm tired, but thats a lot of my list done :D

I'm going to start putting the interior back together tomorrow (if I can move).

Bob Myers

lib88stang
03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
awesome Bob, I got the motor in my car today and putting the tranny in tomarrow. then the fuel pump one day after work. Then all i need is to wire it up, and get exhaust.

yeahloh95
03-25-2007, 12:27 AM
glad to hear you got it all back together :woot1:

Martin0660
03-25-2007, 11:19 AM
awesome Bob, I got the motor in my car today and putting the tranny in tomarrow. then the fuel pump one day after work. Then all i need is to wire it up, and get exhaust.

Glad you are making headway too. How about your Dad's?

glad to hear you got it all back together :woot1:

"all back together" is pushing it, the interior is still all in my basement ;) I will be working on that this week, and it should be ready to start driving by next weekens (I hope). I hope to have enough of miles on the clutch to be able to go to opening day at PRP to shake it down again.

After I get some baselines, LA3 swap happens. cam swap, and we can start tuning the mass air on the car for real.

Bob Myers

Sonic03snake
03-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Sounds good Bob but, :needpics: :goodidea:

lib88stang
03-25-2007, 05:34 PM
My dads car is coming along too, he got his motor back and detailing the engine bay and such. I just can't wait to drive mine so I'm not being as peticular as him but it should still be cool. Let me know when your heading to the track I'd like to check your car out again.:thumbsup:

Martin0660
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Sorry Lou, no pics....I was to occupied with actually getting it together than taking pictures, besides, I think you all have seen a clutch, subframes, and torque box re-enforments before :D I will get some pics of the interior when it goes back in ;)

Glad to hear it Shaun, I am hoping to be there for the opening weekend shaking things down if I can get ~500 miles on this clutch before then. The only real hurdle is cutting the carpet, and remembering where all the little
screws go :D

fast4ord
03-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds good Bob :thmbsup:

Martin0660
03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
AEM wideband display:

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/2088/2485882470066453426S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2485882470066453426RcbiTQ)

And Innovate datlogger along with selector for TwEECer.

http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/3336/2048805710066453426S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2048805710066453426bgTEzq)

Nothing exotic, just a little more progress. The interior is all back together, so I should be able to start driving it again this weekend.

Bob Myers

fast4ord
03-28-2007, 09:49 PM
very sweet :goodidea:

Martin0660
03-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, I got it out of the garage tonight, and took it for a nice drive. Car is super tight, found a few new rattles ;) Man it feels good to be moving again :D

Bob Myers

yeahloh95
03-31-2007, 10:56 AM
thats great :pepper: i hope to get the svo out today and finish up the interior plastic.

map351
04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Bob likes drivin Pinto's too!
Frank is a witness... :yes:
I see a pinto next to the Capri next year in Bob's garage! :biglaugh:

Martin0660
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Bob likes drivin Pinto's too!

I've been waiting for this to start :biglaugh: Hello, my name is Bob, yes, I drove a Pinto, but only ONCE, and I didnt inhale. I'm pretty sure the next time will be when you are complaining it wont ET, and I'll have to get in there again to show you how its done :laughing1: I told you guys you should have gotten a picture 'cause it wasnt going to happen again.

Glad you got it sorted out anyway. Move the gas pedal and I might try it again :3gears:

Bob Myers

turbo83coupe
04-06-2007, 02:59 PM
haha! Mike, I think from the look on his face when you told him to take it for a run, that he really enjoyed it! His eyes lit right up, and you didnt have to tell him twice! :rofl: :rotflol:

Glad to hear you got it figured out :goodidea: I am excited to see all these 2.3's running and making lots of steps forward! :woot1: :pepper:

Frank M.

Martin0660
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
haha! Mike, I think from the look on his face when you told him to take it for a run, that he really enjoyed it! His eyes lit right up, and you didnt have to tell him twice!

Thats the same look I get right before I :barf:

If you dont have pictures, it never happened :biglaugh:

Bob Myers

BTW Frank - Yours is still slow :laughing1:

map351
04-06-2007, 07:22 PM
If you dont have pictures, it never happened :biglaugh:
Bob Myers
Frank
Bob's out voted 4 to 1 Bub was watching too!
He's still trying to convince himself he didn't enjoy drivin the pinto!
He'll have one next year you'll see.:hyper: Wifeie said he's cleaning the garage makin more room for the new arrival..:rofl:

Martin0660
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
He'll have one next year you'll see.:hyper: Wifeie said he's cleaning the garage makin more room for the new arrival..:rofl:

Ha.......I can assure you thats NOT happening ;) Now a Mustang II or a Fairmont............

Bob Myers

map351
04-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Mustang II is a Pinto with a New Suit...:rotflol: