PDA

View Full Version : Audio Upgrade in a Fox

DRRummel
03-30-2007, 12:01 AM
I would like to see how others have upgraded their Fox’s stereo system. I want to add a CD/MP3 disk player to my 87 Fox. The problem is I want to keep the factory look. I have seen people cut a plastic panel to fill the radio and EQ space and then stick a standard rectangular radio in that panel. I was hoping to do something looking a bit more professional. Let me see what you have done, post a picture!

coralcoupe1993
03-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I did a Pioneer head in the notch. Upgaded all speakers with rockfords and amped everything with a rockford 400. I will be taking the amp out soon.

In the Vert, I did everything pioneer. I put a 10" JL sub in the vert with a punch 250 (i think).

White5.0
03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Installing a new head unit isnt hard, and there is no need to cut plastic yourself...you can go to best buy and find the wiring harness and the in-dash plastic bezel to intall a new head unit yourself...all you need to do is wire the wiring harness that you buy into the wiring on the head unit, then plug it in to the factory wiring harness on the car....but DO NOT cut the car's wiring harness

here is a pic of my panasonic headunit with the plastic bezel you can get at best buy or circuit city (this is on my '90 vert)

it also still has the little shelf underneath the head unit just like the stock one

DRRummel
03-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Installing a new head unit isnt hard, and there is no need to cut plastic yourself...you can go to best buy and find the wiring harness and the in-dash plastic bezel to intall a new head unit yourself...all you need to do is wire the wiring harness that you buy into the wiring on the head unit, then plug it in to the factory wiring harness on the car....but DO NOT cut the car's wiring harness

here is a pic of my panasonic headunit with the plastic bezel you can get at best buy or circuit city (this is on my '90 vert)

it also still has the little shelf underneath the head unit just like the stock one

First of all, thanks for your reply. I thought that there would have been more people upgrading their radios…
I have the premium sound system which has the EQ under the radio (No big deal), BUT it also has the football amp on the console. If I use the original harness, won't I be also running though the factory amp?

J-rod
03-31-2007, 11:59 AM

i just finished the same install this week on mine.

White5.0
03-31-2007, 03:56 PM
First of all, thanks for your reply. I thought that there would have been more people upgrading their radios…
I have the premium sound system which has the EQ under the radio (No big deal), BUT it also has the football amp on the console. If I use the original harness, won't I be also running though the factory amp?

i've been told that if you have premium sound you will have to bypass the amp...mine did not have this so it wasnt an issue for me. I think that the problem is that almost all headunits have internal amps and having that and a second one (the football amp) screws it up and it will turn on but not output sound. I'm not sure how you are supposted to bypass the amp but maybe someone can chime in and help out?? If not, then you can have best buy install or circuit city install the headunit for you. I think its like $50 for installation at bestbuy and at circuit city its free if you buy your headunit there and it costs a certain amount or more.