PDA

View Full Version : What makes power brakes "power" ?

Troll
04-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Forgive me. I am not a mechanic. Oh, I do oil, brakes, exhaust, maybe an intake, but nothing inside the engine or tranny. I know all the fundamentals and basics, but just never done it. I just buy 'em and drive 'em and take 'em somewhere like Rodeheaver's when they stop working. :cutie:

Anyway, I kinda know how the power steering works with the pump running off the serp belt, but how do power brakes work?

Thanks.

Silverhatch
04-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I believe the brakes, on a Fox anyway, are given assistance in the form of vacuum. The vacuum helps "pull" while your foot "pushes" making it easier to apply the brakes. This is why when one gets a wild lumpy cam, they lose some vacuum and the brakes aren't worth a shit. The newer Cobras have hydroboost, which has been around a long time as well, but it actually uses your power steering pump to assist in braking. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Pure Stock
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
I believe the brakes, on a Fox anyway, are given assistance in the form of vacuum. The vacuum helps "pull" while your foot "pushes" making it easier to apply the brakes. This is why when one gets a wild lumpy cam, they lose some vacuum and the brakes aren't worth a shit. The newer Cobras have hydroboost, which has been around a long time as well, but it actually uses your power steering pump to assist in braking. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Quit tellin' stories:p

TheGreatWhite
05-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I believe the brakes, on a Fox anyway, are given assistance in the form of vacuum. The vacuum helps "pull" while your foot "pushes" making it easier to apply the brakes. This is why when one gets a wild lumpy cam, they lose some vacuum and the brakes aren't worth a shit.

I 2nd that

Silverhatch
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Two naysayers, but as usual, no useful information to give.:flip:

You could have made me look bad and posted this

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm , but I guess you were

lazy....:laughing1: