PDA

View Full Version : 347

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 01:35 AM
What would be the best way to go with a 347, id like to make atleast 500hp, but yet still find the best deal on the things to do it, im looking for a bang for my buck, any help ???

Killercanary
04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
How do you want to obtain your 500hp? If you want to do it NA its going to take a KILLER combo, but given enough RPM it is within the relm of possibility. I'd immediately start thinking of a dart based shortblock, all internally balanced and lightened internals, solid roller cam, as high of compression as you could run, monster heads that flow like a hurricane, an intake like a spyder r trick flow R box that's been ported, etc. and rev it to the moon.

If you want to do it for less money and more than likely less headaches I'd just just build a relatively mild setup and put a blower on it. It could be amazingly tame, yet put down the numbers you seek. Either way, you should highly concider an aftermarket block if you want to approach the 500hp range. It can be done on the stocker, but its a guessing game as to how long it'll last. Some steps to help it live would be to keep the rpm's low and not beat the snot out of it at every light. If you do go with an aftermarket block, theres very little reason NOT to go with a 364ci setup utilizing a 4.125" bore. Plan on spending at least $5000 on the shortblock itself though.

Rodeheaver's
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
NA 500hp 347 is a little tricky for the street, you need big compression or to spin it to the moon, so the safe way is to build a super strong engine and spray it a little or boost it, the choice is up to you and your check book... I can build a low10s small block easy, but it will not like pump gas to much or street driving...

scott5
04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
i thought you had a 408 already?

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
i got two 351W roller's ones complete running still in the ride, and i do got a 351 at the machine shop i got bored

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 12:57 PM
i dont feel like messing with the exhaust and all that crap by putting a 351w in it

itow
04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Man, if you want cheap reliable horsepower your a fool not to go with a 351 based engine.. NOTHING is easier/cheaper to make power with than starting with more Cubic Inches.. Heck, even putting in a BONE STOCK 351w is more cubes than if you bore stroke a 302 to a 347.. Think of it this way, the cheap way to build a 347 would be a cast crank, sportsman type rods (not much better than stock, probably would not handle any more horsepower than stock 351w rods with good bolts and fully floated) etc.. So, but putting in a bone stock 351w, youd have basically the same "quality" parts, and still have more cubes with only a very few pounds more weight. So if you were going to invest the same amount of money into a 351w based engine, you could have a 393 or 408 for the same money and definitely have more power potential and a stronger overall combo. If a guy is building something from scratch, I dont see why anyone would build a 302 based engine UNLESS they wanted to run in some type of class with rules that only allow that. Even if you have a premium 302 intake, sell it and buy a 351 one.. Its like a no brainer to me???

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 02:43 PM
i just want a 10second street car, dont matter if i gotta go 429/460.. if it dont cost to much and will work ill do it..lol

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Whats killing me if my budget right now...i got $4,000 to just blow on the car, and i gotta hide my tax retunr when it gets in for the car which will be $800-$1000..... but i bought a house the paper work n stuffs goign through, i gotta get my motor built and everything before my old lady finds out how much im spending on this stuff...loll

itow
04-03-2007, 02:50 PM
i just want a 10second street car, dont matter if i gotta go 429/460.. if it dont cost to much and will work ill do it..lol
Ok, cheapest, easiest way is something like my last Combo..

*Stock 351w block (get an early one, 70 - 74 are the best, THERE IS a difference, but even the later ones will work, just wont take as much abuse).
*CHP 408 Streetfighter kit (I would spend the extra little bit of money and get the dominator kit with the better crank and rods though)
*Your pick of heads (or you might already have a set?) I would go with AFR's for out of the box flow potential..
*Good roller cam setup (hyd or solid, I like solids but they are ALLOT more upkeep and work)
*Victor or Super Victor intake (I like the Spyder if your going Fuel Injected)

Easy RELIABLE (considering its a cheaper route) 10 second combo... You want 9's throw a little juice on it (NOS)

If you cant afford it all at once, build the lower end up, put it in with some ported stock 351w heads and buy better heads down the road...

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
How much to run that setup???

itow
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Whats killing me if my budget right now...i got $4,000 to just blow on the car, and i gotta hide my tax retunr when it gets in for the car which will be $800-$1000..... but i bought a house the paper work n stuffs goign through, i gotta get my motor built and everything before my old lady finds out how much im spending on this stuff...loll
Ok, you got 5k

Stock block with all necessary machine work = $700
408 streetfighter kit = $1100 (or less)
AFR 205's = $1700 (or less)
Super Victor Jr = $300 (or less)
GOOD cam setup with everything = $700 (or less)
that leaves you $500 for anything you dont have that you might need (headers, swap oil pan, etc)
BUT all joking aside, I bet you can get better deals on most if not all this stuff so you can do it, have a GOOD combo, and be under your $5k easy..

itow
04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
We have a stock block 408 (just like I said above) in my brothers car (95 mustang GT), and ran a 11.1 at 130 mph last fall Spinning BAD (easily a mid 10 second MPH if we get it to hook up and not spin) with no power adder and a single holley carb on street legal tires through the mufflers..

itow
04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Heck, do that same combo with used heads (you can get a GOOD set of used heads for $1000) and you save $700 plus right there!

itow
04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I bet you could build a 10 second RELIABLE 351w based setup for $3500 pretty easy if you took a little time and did a little shopping around for parts.

Inkdcountryboy
04-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds good, but i rarely find good deals on stuff, i end up paying topdollar for stuff, the heads different peoples telling me different stuff between AFR 2.05's and trick flow high ports and edelbrock victor jr's...im like lost in the dark with this stuff, like would i be better off taking the drive to summit making a list and just one stop shop it or ? no clue dude

mlowry1260
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
We have a stock block 408 (just like I said above) in my brothers car (95 mustang GT), and ran a 11.1 at 130 mph last fall Spinning BAD (easily a mid 10 second MPH if we get it to hook up and not spin) with no power adder and a single holley carb on street legal tires through the mufflers..

Scott,

Will's car traped at 130 mph??

itow
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
11.1 @ 132 was his best so far (out of 3 times taking it down). We are hoping with the suspension changes and the switch over to Auto that we can get it to hook this year and see what it will really do

Killercanary
04-03-2007, 11:46 PM
That sounds like one wicked '95! I'd love to see that car!!!

itow
04-03-2007, 11:55 PM
That sounds like one wicked '95! I'd love to see that car!!!
We just put a C4 in it to try to get it to work better. I cant wait till we get it to hook up once!:awsome:

Inkdcountryboy
04-04-2007, 11:10 PM
ok, ive decided to do a 393. but i found the kit onsale on coasthigh.com, where do i start like planning the rest? do i gotta pick a cam first then heads or ???? im lost, last motor i built was a 383 chevy stroker, it was cake 580lift cam camel back heads and a edelbrock intake n carb and down the road i went, but theres to many choices now, im lost in it all

mlowry1260
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
ok, ive decided to do a 393. but i found the kit onsale on coasthigh.com, where do i start like planning the rest? do i gotta pick a cam first then heads or ???? im lost, last motor i built was a 383 chevy stroker, it was cake 580lift cam camel back heads and a edelbrock intake n carb and down the road i went, but theres to many choices now, im lost in it all

What's your budget, intended use or goal & what's it going in? For the money a set of AFR 205's are hard to beat.

Why don't you call up get a long block from coast if you're lost?

Inkdcountryboy
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Want a fast street car for the track, mostly street racings, budget is set at between $4,000-$5,000. thats whats killing me at this point

Inkdcountryboy
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Its going in my 1993 GT, the shortblocks dont come with the cams anyhow so im still in the dark with what to go with..

Killercanary
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I and others have had GREAT success with our cams from Ed Curtis at:

http://www.flowtechinduction.com

My only suggestion is to wait and email him after you know for sure what you are doing with the shortblock and you know exactly what you want out of it in terms of performance, RPM range, and drive-ability. Ed's customer service is second to none once you are a customer of his. I can't say enough about him and the experiences I and my family have had with him.

itow
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I too am using Ed for my latest build. Just sent my heads to him yesterday as a matter of fact..
Also, you can call Probe (Coast High Performance) and talk to the tech guys there, they are VERY helpful and VERY knowledgable and can help you figure out what you are wanting also. Talk to Eric in sales, SUPER nice and super smart guy.. He's their top guy. I will tell you, I bought my 427 dart block setup from them as an assembled short block, I normally do ALL of my checking, clearancing, and assembeling ALL myself and have my machine work all done at a place I know and trust well locally. But, Coast did all of that on this engine for me and actually, if I had to buy all of the parts seperately, and pay a machine shop to do the block work I would not have saved a dime and would had to have done all of the work myself! My point is, call Coast as your next step and see what they can do for you! Remember, stroker engines is ALL they do for a living and they are a multi million dollar company, so they know what they are doing!

Rodeheaver's
04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
BUY NICE OR BUY TWICE, the best deal isnt always the best route to take.

J-rod
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM

wish i coulda waited a little longer to swap suspension. i'd gone coilovers then.

mlowry1260
04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
That's a pretty tight budget for a 351w swap. Although bigger is better, you may be better off with a 347 in this instance. Would you do the swap yourself? You'd better add up all the accesories you need for a 351 swap, it adds up quick.

itow
04-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Not sure if your referring to CHP's quality of parts, but if so, they are as straight up a company as you will deal with today. I have bought/built 4 engines with their parts and know countless others who have also with great luck.. :awsome:
It follows the common sense rule though of course.. You cant buy parts designed to make 400 horsepower and try to make 900 with them.. Cause they aint gonna live long if ya do! :rofl:
Thats why I recommend him calling CHP and talking to Eric about what he wants to do.. Look at it like this, the probably sell more engine combo's in 1 month than ALL of us on this entire forum have built and will build in our lives put together, so, they DEFINITELY have the upper hand as far as knowledge, testing, and expierience goes!

itow
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Inkd. Check out this thread on the Corral with for sale parts.. He has ALOT of decent SBF ford stuff at good prices.. $1500 for a set of AFR 205's with 2 dyno pulls on them. I dont think I'd drop $1000 on his short block setup, I still think putting $1500 to $2000 into your own 393 would be better for what you want.. But offer him $1300 or $1400 on the heads and I bet he takes it!

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=898867

Rodeheaver's
04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Not sure if your referring to CHP's quality of parts, but if so, they are as straight up a company as you will deal with today. I have bought/built 4 engines with their parts and know countless others who have also with great luck.. :awsome:
It follows the common sense rule though of course.. You cant buy parts designed to make 400 horsepower and try to make 900 with them.. Cause they aint gonna live long if ya do! :rofl:
Thats why I recommend him calling CHP and talking to Eric about what he wants to do.. Look at it like this, the probably sell more engine combo's in 1 month than ALL of us on this entire forum have built and will build in our lives put together, so, they DEFINITELY have the upper hand as far as knowledge, testing, and expierience goes!
not at all, i jsut meant not to buy a 600$ stroker from ebay and try and make big power and expect it to live long, thats all.

itow
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
not at all, i jsut meant not to buy a 600$ stroker from ebay and try and make big power and expect it to live long, thats all.
Ah-hah! I TOTALLY agree! I have seen several of those Ebay stroker kits... I would stay away, FAR away from that kind of stuff. Sort of like how guys around me used to build "race motors" out of JC whitney kits when there stuff was TOTAL generic cheapo stuff.. Needless to say, they never lived long...

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
CHP told me that a 347 will make more power than a 393, be a better engine and i can go all forged in the 347 compared to the same money in just a forged pistoned 393

J-rod
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
CHP told me that a 347 will make more power than a 393, be a better engine and i can go all forged in the 347 compared to the same money in just a forged pistoned 393

hell, rodeheavers got a nice 347 kit for sale. if you gonna go that route. :goodidea:

http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307

itow
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Well, there ya go! Like I said, they sell/build more engines than any of us so I'd listen to them over any of us! lol

Me personally, I suppose I'm just a hard head, but I (just me) would still do a 351 based engine but I would just save up untill I could afford to do it right (4340 crank and rods, good pistons, dart block, etc)

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Yea but me and saving up dont work, money burns a hole in my pocket. if i could sell the 5.0 out of the car and one of my shotguns id go full bore on a motor, but id also like to do a tubeular k member and coil over's, theres just so much i wanna do and not enough money lol, once my shop gets more business it wont be a problem, but now im pinching to buy car stuff

itow
04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Yea but me and saving up dont work, money burns a hole in my pocket. if i could sell the 5.0 out of the car and one of my shotguns id go full bore on a motor, but id also like to do a tubeular k member and coil over's, theres just so much i wanna do and not enough money lol, once my shop gets more business it wont be a problem, but now im pinching to buy car stuff

Ahhh, ok.. Understood...
BUT, just remember the MAIN thing most people forget (I dont know you or your car so I am assuming your starting with a pretty stock setup)....
You cant JUST build a bad ass motor/trans combo and have a cool/fast car.. You need to upgrade EVERYTHING (brakes (no sense going fast if ya cant stop at the other end!), steering (what goods a fast car that wont turn/handle if your gonna drive on the street), suspension (better front and rear suspension is a must if you wanna drag race it), and MOST IMPORTANTLY the safety factor (roll bars, seats, harnesses, etc)...
Maybe think about all that stuff too and do some of that stuff first or along with the engine deal???
None of us build our cars overnight! LOL Heck, I've been over 6 years on mine and been through 3 different engine/trans combo's and probably only put 1000 miles on it the whole time! LOL

Pure Stock
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with the 347 making more power than the 393 *if* both engines were maximized. No replacement for displacement. Perhaps finding a cylinder head that will maximize the c.i.d.'s the 393 possesses with take more money. And the 3.85" stroke in the 393 will most definitely offer increased mechanical advantage over the 3.4" stroke in the 47 *if* the 4.03" bore is chosen. Hypothetically, if both engines generated 1.75 FWHP per c.i.d. the 347 would make 607.25 and the 393 would produce 687.75.

itow
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with the 347 making more power than the 393 *if* both engines were maximized. No replacement for displacement. Perhaps finding a cylinder head that will maximize the c.i.d.'s the 393 possesses with take more money. And the 3.85" stroke in the 393 will most definitely offer increased mechanical advantage over the 3.4" stroke in the 47 *if* the 4.03" bore is chosen. Hypothetically, if both engines generated 1.75 FWHP per c.i.d. the 347 would make 607.25 and the 393 would produce 687.75.

Sort of like I said, I'd still go with the 351 based setup

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
My car got 3:55's weld in subframes, Front and rear springs, i was thinking just get my stalker front bumper,new gt rear to do away with the gay pipes coming out of them, torque thrust 2's 16x8's, having it all repainted, doing a k-member n coil overs, and just boring my 302 out .30 over and putting probe forged pistons in, and converting over to carbed with a 100 shot for right now, but im scared to have the car painted then do engine swaps i dont wanna mess the paint up once its done, i really dont want a caged car, i know after 11.99's at the track you gotta have one but id race it on the street more than track.... i know having good stuff takes time but i hate waiting lol i was gonna do the 5lug swap and mooser's axles too

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
i wish i could find a good built motor someone ran and went bigger and got a deal like that, but hard to find, i screwed up when i built my 85 z38, i had a built 350 in it, then i had a 383 built to go in its place i had a complete shortblock all it needed was heads in take and carb to finish, i had $3,000 in it and got tired of the car and ended up selling the 383 for $1500 to a guy in wv for in a nova, wish i still had the motor i woulda dumped it into my fox.. lol

itow
04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Why not buy a nice used blower setup for it for now??? I see LOTS of good deals on the on the Corral ALL the time!
You got gears, put a blower on it with a good intake and get some good exahust on there and you'd be suprised!

itow
04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
wish i still had the motor i woulda dumped it into my fox.. lol

You put a blowtie in a Ford and I'm gonna quit talkin to ya and start makin fun of ya!
:laughing:

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
lol, i should just sell both my stangs and buy one built one...but hard to find people with money to buy cars anymore, i just seen a green hatch like mine with 10,000 less miles on with gray interor go for $7000 on ebay, and im having a hard time getting $5,000..

itow
04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
lol, i should just sell both my stangs and buy one built one...but hard to find people with money to buy cars anymore, i just seen a green hatch like mine with 10,000 less miles on with gray interor go for $7000 on ebay, and im having a hard time getting $5,000..
Patience.. You GOT to have patience with this hobby.. I buy and sell cars all the time and parts.. If your in a hurry, chances are your gonna lose! But, if you take your time, look around, and try all your avenues as far as selling, you'll do ok.. If money burns a hole in your pocket, open a CD at the bank, like a 9 month one. That way you cant touch it till fall, and youll gain interest on it, or just open a seperate savings for your car money and use it when you find a good deal on something.... Just TEACH yourself to not be in a hurry all the time!

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Yea true, but i dont deal with banks lol, i deal in all cash, i got no checking account and no credit cards...another thought i had instead of doing redoign the 302, just boring my 351w out .30 over n gettings set of heads n intake for it, i dunno so many ideas.. so many choices

mlowry1260
04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Patience.. You GOT to have patience with this hobby.. I buy and sell cars all the time and parts.. If your in a hurry, chances are your gonna lose! But, if you take your time, look around, and try all your avenues as far as selling, you'll do ok.. If money burns a hole in your pocket, open a CD at the bank, like a 9 month one. That way you cant touch it till fall, and youll gain interest on it, or just open a seperate savings for your car money and use it when you find a good deal on something.... Just TEACH yourself to not be in a hurry all the time!

Taking the time to think through these decisions saves money too. There's no sense in buying a 393 or a 347 if you can't afford all the accesories required. What kind of miles on on your existing motor?

Inkdcountryboy
04-05-2007, 04:49 PM
around 120,000, but when i had the topend and cam swap done i checked the pistons they didnt have slop and it doesnt smoke at all