PDA

View Full Version : New project

wick
04-06-2007, 04:32 PM
As some of you know, this car was unmolested. Only thing done was a set of dealer installed motorsport shorties and a BBK pipe with cats. Thats it. Nothing else. I got it from the original owner and now it begins. Starting with a simple cam swap for now. As you can see in the pictures, I had some oil leaks. Now I know where from. the original cork VCG's were hard as a rock and the bolts were finger loose. A round with the welder to fill some holes and some paint and the engine bay should look nice. Did the drivers side last weekend. Cam this weekend and the rest this week while the thing is torn apart. Pice will be updated as I take them.

PS, Jarad, dont ever try this on your own!!!!

wick
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM
More.

Rodeheaver's
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
i wish ford would'nt have put all of those holes in there...

J-rod
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
ive helped with a cam before...hater!

P.S. if you going to insult me....spell my name right :)

INSANELY CRAZY
04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
man, those engines are so easy to build... i'd rather be working on a 5.0 then my 4.6

they make those fiberglass pieces to fit over strut tower to smooth out.. but they are like 100 bux....

after painted they look nice

lib88stang
04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Looks nice, maybe I'll do that to mine one day.

scott5
04-06-2007, 07:49 PM
looks good. keep the pics coming

wick
04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
More. I figured that since the gasket kit came with head gaskets, I might as well pull them too seeing as they sometimes go bad. Gave me a chance to check the valves and cylinders too. Still has the factory cross hatch and no ridge at all. This motor must have been babied...until I got it!!! HAHAHA My bud was fooling with the cam and caught me off gaurd.

wick
04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
HAHA Sorry Jared.

I know Tim, the holes suck real bad. Mow with the motor basically torn all the way down, I have a ton of room. I am going to re-do that side and fill the holes that I did not use for the coil bracket. I forgot I had the Fireball coil and that saves a few holes. Took everything off the firewall a little while ago. Prepping that tomorrow for the finishing touches. Passenger side I think has more holes than the drivers side did. I am gonna be there for a long time welding. Those long tubes go in the drivers side with the heads off. You think I need to pull the motor to do the passenger side? HAHA

George C
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
when i did the head gaskets on my notch at the time of 160k it still had the cross hatchs

fords seem not to wear bad at all

wick
04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
when i did the head gaskets on my notch at the time of 160k it still had the cross hatchs

fords seem not to wear bad at all

Thats what I was thinking too. My buddy that was here watching could not belive his eyes. The cylinders were almost new. Wish my parts were now so I could re-assemble. At least it gives me time to do the engine bay and make it pretty.

PunisherStang
04-07-2007, 01:18 AM
so what else you gunna be besides the cam, i never understood the holes in fox bodies

George C
04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
weight reduction lol.....

PunisherStang
04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
lol well shit in that case im just gunna drill holes all over my body when i get my car back

wick
04-07-2007, 08:39 AM
so what else you gunna be besides the cam, i never understood the holes in fox bodies

Nothing really. Not right now anyways. Doing alot to the house this year. We agreed that I will be doing a big motor build next summer. I am just basically doing the head gaskets because they come in the kit I bought and to have a piece of mind that they are new and good. Besides, number 5 cylinder metal ring did not look good. It was only a matter of time until it went.

J-rod
04-07-2007, 10:32 AM
not installing the ported E7's?

PunisherStang
04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
at least your motor will be fresh free of worries

wick
04-07-2007, 01:36 PM
not installing the ported E7's?

Nope. I actually put those on a band saw and cut one in half to see the ports and how much I had to work with. I am going to put some time in the other ones I have here and see what kind of flow numbers I can come up with. I gotta guy who will flow them for me for nothing. Just need to help him out some with his work. I have another iron in the fire for some heads that I will more than likely get.:rolleyes:

wick
04-07-2007, 01:36 PM
at least your motor will be fresh free of worries

Than was my thoughts exactly.

coralcoupe1993
04-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey, sorry I didnt call you today to bring that filter over. I am sick as a dog today :barf:

wick
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey, sorry I didnt call you today to bring that filter over. I am sick as a dog today :barf:

Thats allright. Your sick as a dog and my litle dog is not too good. She is supposed to go in for an operation on monday for kidney stones. She is only 2 years old. Poor thing. It has my stomach in a knot, I have not eaten a thing all day long.

coralcoupe1993
04-08-2007, 04:58 PM
How is she? Did you take her in for the operation yet?

wick
04-08-2007, 07:38 PM

No, tomorrow.

wick
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Some more...

383taman
04-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Looks good.:thmbsup:

wick
04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I got tired of filling the holes. I welded about 25 on the passenger side. The overspray on the wheel houses will be taken care of with new wheel houses.

wick
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM

HAHA I still have not had anything to eat. Getting worried now. She seems fine and keeps playing with my other doggie. Tomorrow will be another day though. She wont be home until Tuesday. The Vet wants to keep her overnight to make sure everything's allright. I cant imagine her in the vets office all night all by herself. When she was fixed we brought her home the same day. She probally should have not come home. She was not in good shape at all. My wife and I took turns staying up with her all night while the other doggie would not leave her side.

INSANELY CRAZY
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
yea comin along nicely

wick
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
yea comin along nicely

Thanks. My gaskets and ARP head bolts will be here tomorrow or Tuesday from Summit. I should have it running again by Saturday or Sunday.

wick
04-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh, hahaha this is how I spent my easter. My wife works today and I had nothing else to do but this and keep an eye on my pup. Anybody have any leftovers?:pepper:

383taman
04-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Lots of left overs still eating.:thmbsup:

wick
04-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Lots of left overs still eating.:thmbsup:

I'll be over. HAHAHAHA Wonder if Kings is open tonight?

George C
04-08-2007, 09:00 PM
i had fried kilbasse, it always sucks around here for holidays

coralcoupe1993
04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
HAHA I still have not had anything to eat. Getting worried now. She seems fine and keeps playing with my other doggie. Tomorrow will be another day though. She wont be home until Tuesday. The Vet wants to keep her overnight to make sure everything's allright. I cant imagine her in the vets office all night all by herself. When she was fixed we brought her home the same day. She probally should have not come home. She was not in good shape at all. My wife and I took turns staying up with her all night while the other doggie would not leave her side.

Yikes. Hopefully she will be ok :yes:

wick
04-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Yikes. Hopefully she will be ok :yes:

Same here man. Shes my baby you know. The personality she has is second to none. Next time you are over you can see her. She lays with me in the recliner, feet up in the air kicked back. Kinda like a person. My wife says she has more personality than most people she knows.

wick
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
i had fried kilbasse, it always sucks around here for holidays

Tell me about it George. I know what you mean. The fourth of July is the worst time of year for me. It will be 12 years this year since he's been gone.

wick
04-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Its alive!!!!!!!!! I need to get some pics of the finished project. I finally drove it last night. This thing flat out rips!!! Did not really go with many mods due to the earlier posts. Pup has made virtually a full recovery. 1 more appointment next monday and she is good to go. Basically, I cleaned up the engine bay, painted the firewall, rebuilt the top half of the motor, new oil pump,cam,rockers,push rods and more. I cant think of everything right now. Pics soon.

One Sweet Day
04-22-2007, 09:44 AM
nice, congrats....hurry with those pics!:awsome:

wick
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
More pics. More this weekend.

9002stang
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Looks like its comming together nicely! Do you have any exterior pics?

wick
04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Looks like its comming together nicely! Do you have any exterior pics?

Not really at this moment. I have some in the background from my quad. Took it to get inspected on Monday and it rained on my way home. I'll get some on the next nice day we have here. Still have some more to do under the hood. Just needed to stop for a bit and start enjoying the car. I shoulda started this back in December rather than playing on the net all night. HAHAHA

9002stang
04-25-2007, 09:16 PM
I know what you mean! I do remember seeing it in the quad pic come to think of it. ...... Have you ridden it much? (raptor)

wick
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I know what you mean! I do remember seeing it in the quad pic come to think of it. ...... Have you ridden it much? (raptor)

Went out a few times. Have not really had much time to ride. I take it to work (Bulger) every now and then. Supposed to ride this weekend I think.

gmkillr
04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
Did you cut the oil pan gasket & install the 2 new cork l-shaped corners at the bottom of the timing cover that connect to the front of the oil pan or did you just rtv the hell out of the oil pan gasket & leave it alone?
I debating on what to do w/ that now......

coralcoupe1993
04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Looks good!!!!! I will give you a ring when I get a new phone. Mine has been broken since Sat :rofl:

J-rod
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
here is only pic of wick's ride that i have saved
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/jcvince17/stang205.jpg

wick
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Did you cut the oil pan gasket & install the 2 new cork l-shaped corners at the bottom of the timing cover that connect to the front of the oil pan or did you just rtv the hell out of the oil pan gasket & leave it alone?
I debating on what to do w/ that now......

Nope, I just did it the hard, and correct way. I used the original 1 piece rubber pan gasket. I have some awesome sealant. It goes by many differebt names. Hondabond, yamabond, ford sealer, etc,etc. Its gray. I put a very light smear on the pan gasket just to make sre. For the timing cover, I put a tiny bit on the bottom ond top of the rubber gasket where it meets the face of the block right behind the cover. I have NEVER ever had an oil leaker. You will have one hell of a time getting the cover back on with the dowel pins still in there. LEAVE them in. I know you have probally read everywhere about taking them out because it makes the cover go on easier. It does, but it also aligns your lower crank seal to your harmonic balancer. You just need to take your time and work the pan gasket into the cover.:awsome:

wick
04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks Jared.

Colin, I guess that would explain your phone going right to VM then. HAHA That sucks.

gmkillr
04-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Nope, I just did it the hard, and correct way. I used the original 1 piece rubber pan gasket. I have some awesome sealant. It goes by many differebt names. Hondabond, yamabond, ford sealer, etc,etc. Its gray. I put a very light smear on the pan gasket just to make sre. For the timing cover, I put a tiny bit on the bottom ond top of the rubber gasket where it meets the face of the block right behind the cover. I have NEVER ever had an oil leaker. You will have one hell of a time getting the cover back on with the dowel pins still in there. LEAVE them in. I know you have probally read everywhere about taking them out because it makes the cover go on easier. It does, but it also aligns your lower crank seal to your harmonic balancer. You just need to take your time and work the pan gasket into the cover.:awsome:

You installed a new one piece oil pan gasket?? or you just left the one you had in ther alone and threw some sealer on it? I have no timing cover dowels in my car, wonder where I can find a set??

wick
04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
You installed a new one piece oil pan gasket?? or you just left the one you had in ther alone and threw some sealer on it? I have no timing cover dowels in my car, wonder where I can find a set??

I just re-used the original. It was in good shape so I added a very tiny smear of ford sealant to it and concentrated on the corners. Try dealer for the dowels. Dunno know where else to try.

wick
04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
BTW, what happened to yours?

scott5
04-27-2007, 09:26 PM
that car looks bada$$

wick
04-27-2007, 09:33 PM
that car looks bada$$

Thanks scott. It spent the first night outside since I got it last night. Its in the other side of the garage now. Had truck troubles and the Raptor was in the way.

gmkillr
04-28-2007, 12:55 AM
BTW, what happened to yours?

I wish I knew???
Either the car never had them or Timmy forgot to put them back in when he did the job last time.

Rodeheaver's
04-28-2007, 03:42 AM
I wish I knew???
Either the car never had them or Timmy forgot to put them back in when he did the job last time.
oddly enough they were not in there when i took it apart, so i figured don't fix what aint broke...