PDA

View Full Version : no self tuner for fox?

J-rod
04-07-2007, 01:38 PM
i know all the SCT X-cal's are for OBDII systems so that rules those out? is there anything else?

i tried to get a mail order tuned chip from the SCT guy i always use and he said he needs to see the car....well seeing as how he is 18+ hours away and not going to an FFW evens thats out....so now what can i do?

id like to have the cats shut off....fuel and air tuned. shift points changed in the ecu, and correct for 3.73 (yes i have speedo gear already)

im going to try and bump my timing next week too. got to buy a timing gun

(man you all must thing im a total tool)

blkp42e
04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
www.tweecer.com or anderson PMS.

Killercanary
04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I too would look to a tweecer or PMS or contact LaSota's.

Chris00GT
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
You can also go with the SCT pro racers package. This will give you a chip and burner along with SCT software to tune your car. The nice thing is you can have any SCT shop can tune the car and if there nice they can give you a copy so you can make tweaks to it. If SGS wasn't so close I'd would have bought it along with a good wideband 02 sensor for tuning.

Martin0660
04-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I know there is much more support for TwEECer with the A9L, and I use it myself, BUT, you really need to know what you are doing / changing with it. Its great that you can change anything, but its also dangerous that you can change it all ;) I really love Tweecer for my stuff, but its not a cut and dry solution.

Bob Myers

J-rod
04-07-2007, 10:14 PM
wow - im getting owned left and right.

the teecer is $400...i could get a dynotune for less. :dunno: since i dont have mods to warrant that right now. i was just looking for something basic like a mail order chip, but my sct guy wont do it.

and im not buying a timing light now....$60 is cheapest...for something ill use a couple times...

Troll
04-07-2007, 10:16 PM

the teecer is $400...i could get a dynotune for less. :dunno: since i dont have mods to warrant that right now. i was just looking for something basic like a mail order chip, but my sct guy wont do it.

and im not buying a timing light now....$60 is cheapest...for something ill use a couple times...

can't you "borrow" one from Advance Auto or somebody?

J-rod
04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
autozone may rent one...ill call on monday. im going to try and do it myself..... wait until i fvck it up to flame me.

Martin0660
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM

I hope you didnt take my comments that way. What I was trying to say, is that the TwEECer is a powerfull tool, but you really do need to understand EEC code, how it works, and how things interact to use it. It isnt like some of the other tools that say "do you want to raise shift RPM" you have to know that adress, go there, and make the change, even though it may not be in RPM, but rather pulses or load from a table. Same with fuel or timing, and these arent a simple fatten, or lean it, the tables (I know) are based on load, so you need to calculate load to adjust the right areas.

The Tweecer software is free, if you are at all interested in it, download it from their site, and it has a A9L bin file you can play with, without ever connecting or buying anything. As I said, my experience is with the 2.3 processors, and the deffinition files are clearly lacking in some areas.

BTW- I always have my timing light at the track, and will also have the TwEECer stuff loaded on my laptop. You can use either if you are ever there.

Like I said, I didnt mean that as a slam on you, but TwEECer is not a straight forward deal like some of the other solutions, especially if you dont have EEC code experience.

Bob Myers

gmkillr
04-08-2007, 11:01 AM
www.lasotaracing.com
Great guys to deal with!:awsome:

blkp42e
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
i think you should hold off until you get some more serious mods and then go for a dyno tune. or if you get a pretty common setup, pick up a mail order tune

5k#Eaton
04-08-2007, 11:45 AM
i think you should hold off until you get some more serious mods and then go for a dyno tune. or if you get a pretty common setup, pick up a mail order tune

x2 don't always go with the cheap way out there is really no need to tune the car now wait until you have serious mods that a tune wil benefit from. I don't think a tune can pull more out of a mostly stock auto

J-rod
04-08-2007, 11:48 AM
martin - no slam taken.....its just not as easy like the sct x-cal's are. i thought it be like those. i will be at prp on the 21st.

i tried getting a baisic mail-order tune but the guy i always deal with wont make one for my car.

blkp42e
04-08-2007, 01:41 PM
martin - no slam taken.....its just not as easy like the sct x-cal's are. i thought it be like those. i will be at prp on the 21st.

i tried getting a baisic mail-order tune but the guy i always deal with wont make one for my car.

like i said wait for some more mods. SGS or any other Superchip dealer could burn you a chip off a pretty generic setup.

the chips alone are about $300 and then if they charge anymore for a tune.

try www.modularpowerhouse.com i think they could do a superchips mail order for around $350 or so??

J-rod
04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
no way id pay $300+ for a damn chip. the handheld tuners are about that....guess ill just suffer through until i get enough mods for a dyno tune

gmkillr
04-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I *think* Lasota's mail order sct chips are $269

J-rod
04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I *think* Lasota's mail order sct chips are $269

still $300 for a plug in one tune chip. i had always paid $150 for my last 3.

gmkillr
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
still $300 for a plug in one tune chip. i had always paid $150 for my last 3.

No, I think its a 4 tune chip. Hey man thats the going price for a tune nowadays!!:goodidea:

Chris00GT
04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Even back when we started, the old autologic chips were $275 and could do 3 tunes. If you go to SGS your looking at around $500 for a dyno tune. That includes the chip and dyno time. The nice thing about a fox body is alot of the times you don't need a chip. Play with the timing and install and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Usually with fuel pressure and timing you can tune the car yourself. The only real reason I needed a chip was to fix some idle issuse from the car and to raise the rev limiter for the new heads.

sutyak
04-09-2007, 07:35 AM
You could probably do just fine with an off-the-shelf A/F meter and an adjustable FPR.
You really don't need a wideband A/F since you're NA and that's what the narrow band meters are designed for.
I personally wouldn't leave it hooked up because I think it would get annoying.

blkp42e
04-09-2007, 07:41 AM
no way id pay $300+ for a damn chip. the handheld tuners are about that....guess ill just suffer through until i get enough mods for a dyno tune

wanna play? gotta pay!

J-rod
04-09-2007, 08:40 AM
just doesnt seem right that not even 6 months ago i got a 2 tune chip for $150....now the fox's are higher.....ill just wait for more mods and dynotune the sob.

blkp42e
04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
2 tune chip through who?

J-rod
04-09-2007, 09:01 AM
SCT vendor. my buddy in florida is the #1 selling/tuning SCT vendor. thats what he used ot charge, but he wont make one for the fox since he hadnt done enough of them to have a good base file.