PDA

View Full Version : EFI guys come in.... putting bbf in fox need lots of help

silver03cobra
04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello,
I am putting a 429 into my 1991 mustang. I have coast high performance EFI Spider plenum and fuel rails, how could I run the ignition off the factory wiring harness? I want to be able to switch it back to a stock 5.0 for emissions. Also I am doing this on a limited cash flow….
The motor is:
1969 429-460 block
3.590 stroke 429 steel crank
6.768 440 dodge rod. ARP rod bolts (Machined to fit).160 longer than stock 429
Speed pro rod and main bearings (STD.)
TRW 13.2:1 pistons (.03)
Speed pro file fit rings.
DOVE Heads ported big time! I=2.250 E=1.760
ARP head studs
Speed pro cam bearings
Racer cams 302/312. dur.@.50 I=.278 E=.282 valve lift=.656 lob sep=110
Com cam’s boss 302 solid lifters.
Fle-pro gaskets
Milodon HV oil pump
Milodon HV water pump
I don’t know what intake to buy... I was looking at a stealth.....
I did the math and piston speed will be a prob. after 6k rmp..
Also I am going to put a 150 shot on it.
I have no idea what size injectors I will need also. I have 38 lbs. per hour and 42 lbs. per hour. What size throttle body and mass air meter will I need? Is this imposable?

Does anyone know what piggy back system that would let you change firing order's the 302ho and 460 are diff.?

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 302 HO-351w
TO
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 429-460 (289-302 non HO)

burntire
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok guys help Seth out. He is one of the few AZ guys that does his own work. LOL

wick
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I would lengthen the wires for the injectors and let the distributor take care of the rest. Put the injectors where they need to be for the 460 firing order but still fire on the 302 order. Know what I mean?

somethingclever
04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I would lengthen the wires for the injectors and let the distributor take care of the rest. Put the injectors where they need to be for the 460 firing order but still fire on the 302 order. Know what I mean?

But wouldn't the computer still fire the injector for the 302 firing order?

I would megasquirt it or some other stand-alone.

wick
04-07-2007, 08:53 PM
But wouldn't the computer still fire the injector for the 302 firing order?

I would megasquirt it or some other stand-alone.

Yes it does. Thats why you put the injectors in the other holes. Hence, lengthening the wires fir the individual injectors.

Silverhatch
04-07-2007, 09:30 PM
That is a really good ideal. Just manipulate the spark plug wires and injectors. If the second plug fired on the 302 is #3 and on the 460 its #5, simply run the injector/ spark plug wire for the 302 #3 cylinder to the 460 #5 cylinder!! Can't see why it wouldn't work?:thmbsup:

wick
04-07-2007, 09:32 PM
That is a really good ideal. Just manipulate the spark plug wires and injectors. If the second plug fired on the 302 is #3 and on the 460 its #5, simply run the injector/ spark plug wire for the 302 #3 cylinder to the 460 #5 cylinder!! Can't see why it wouldn't work?:thmbsup:

Thats exactly what I was saying.:awsome:

silver03cobra
04-07-2007, 10:24 PM
i like the stand alone idea or a piggybacl set up... i will have to tune the car after i get it started....... have any ideas with that? What about injector size.

coralcoupe1993
04-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Great topic! A friend of mine has a 358 series he wants to put in a Fox. He wants to make it EFI.

silver03cobra
04-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I love the drivability of the 5.0 but I love the feel of a big block with some spray.

somethingclever
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Yes it does. Thats why you put the injectors in the other holes. Hence, lengthening the wires fir the individual injectors.

AHHH...IC....good idea!

Silverhatch
04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
No need to swap injectors, just switch the connectors.

wick
04-09-2007, 08:32 PM
No need to swap injectors, just switch the connectors.

Yep.

itow
04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I had a 460 in my 88GT the 1st time around.. I can save you allot of headaches and tell you up front to save your $$ and build a small block.. You wont be able to keep it cool enough to daily drive it (I tried EVERYTHING: 5.5" cowl hood, stalker frontend and cut it open more, biggest aluminum rad I could get in there, SEVERAL electric fans, wrapping the headers with heat insulation, EVERYTHING. It would stay cool driving, even driving slow, but if you try to idle it or ride around town slow, it WILL get hot. Talk to D&D performance in PA, they have done many of them). I could never get mine to hook either.. ALL it did was spin and spin BAD. Way too much weight on the front end. I had lightened the front end as much as I could, (fiberglass hood, stalker front end with NO inner supports, bumper or braces, tubular front suspension with coil overs) the only thing I could have done more was cut the car up or get aluminum heads which I dont think would have helped much more.

As far as the best way to go EFI with it, for hood clearance sake, I would run a SPYDER EFI lower with one of the billet throttle body's that look like a holley carb. As far as the EFI itself, I would run something like the AEM system. Yeah, its $1700, but no matter WHAT engine or combo you ever think up, it WILL do it and do it better than anything else out there. I have one on my car and LOVE it.. You can set it up for ANY type of injector's, coils, or anything else you can think of. Literally! The AEM is AWESOME.. Ask a few of the other guys on here (Mikey Mustang and Mark Lowrey).
As far as the engine install, I used custom mounts, the Ford Motorsport oil pan kit, and Hooker Headers which all fit fine. I have a custom driveshaft for a C6 trans if you are interested. It worked fine and was balanced fine also. Anything else your curious about let me know..

Scott

somethingclever
04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I had a 460 in my 88GT the 1st time around.. I can save you allot of headaches and tell you up front to save your $$ and build a small block..

dollar for dollar the cubes will win!!!! :yes:

itow
04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
dollar for dollar the cubes will win!!!! :yes:
Depends on what your looking for.. If you just want the coolness factor, to "say" you have a 429/460 in your fox body and to fry the tires, yeah, but if you want performance, no... I'm not the only one who's already tried that route.. If it was "the way to go" dont you think you'd see alot more street cars with that setup.. Pretty much the ONLY guys with 429/460s in fox's are strictly drag cars that are heavily modified with back halved cars... There's a reason for that man. The parts to do the swap are easy to come by so it's not the cost factor. It's the combined difficulty of overheat plus lack of traction/weight distribution...
Now, if you want to talk bolting an engine on a dyno and comparing torque/HP #'s, then yes, dollar for dollar you can make more power easier with a bigger cube'd engine, but you gotta get it to the ground or it aint no good. :goodidea:

silver03cobra
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
i have had a 306,347,and 408 in the car.... I want something new! The car wont be a dd. I have my 03 Cobra....

JETHRO
04-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Thinking outside the box here. What about a cam that switched for you. For example,say you waste the motor in your mustang and you have (I think its pre 94) 302 out of a truck sitting there. All you would have to do is put the cam from a Mustang in the truck 302. Ive done something similar except it was backwards. I put a 302 from a Mustang in a 92 F-150 and did the injector harness thing. I dont know if they would even make a cam like that but it might be worth checking into. May be more cost effective. Definitely not cheaper than the harness thing but Ford changed the firing orders on the trucks for a reason. It was putting to much load on the front main bearing because 5 fired right after 1 and they are directly across from each other.