PDA

View Full Version : Starter heat soaked??

Dan B.
05-12-2012, 09:32 PM
This is not Mustang related but rather it's my 351W Ranger that's got the problem. The headers are VERY, VERY close to my starter....enough so that I had to swap to a mini and still dent the collector tube. Also wrapped it in a resistent shield to try to deflect some of the heat.

When it's cold the starter cranks fine. But after the engine is warmed up, the starter cranks VERY slow and usually not fast enough to even fire the motor. This is a major PITA and the reason I don't use it for more running around. I'm thinking the starter is heat soaked and causing the problem. The CR is nearly 11:1 but I'm running normal base timing and have a 1000 CCA Interstate battery.

Any input??

venom
05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I think vitaleffects is having the same issue. He is searching for a solution.

Dan B.
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I searched his name and don't see any threads.

I'd love to take the Ranger to the track but it's embarrassing when the sucker won't crank over. If it sets long enough to cool back down it does ok but that takes an hour or so. Even at car cruises I park when I'll be out of the way so it's not an issue.

no1sirbutler
05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Had this issue with my buddy's fox. He had to switch to shorty headers to stop the heat soak. We tried everything from wrapping the headers, mini starter, heat shield and so on. So far the shortys have seemed to due the trick. Good Luck!

Dan B.
05-12-2012, 10:40 PM
So far the shortys have seemed to due the trick.

Man.....that's not what I want to hear. There are no good shorty's for a 351W swap.:bawling:

PaceFever79
05-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Ceramic coating of the header designed for heat control (not cheap cosmetic coatings)
will control much more heat than wraps or shields which merely attempt to reflect heat
after it has already radiated from the headers. It's not cheap ($350) but it works much
better than putting a band aid on the heat soaked parts.

Check these guys http://swaintech.com

Silverhatch
05-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Where is your ground wire from the battery connected to? Mine was on my aluminum heads, my shop guy switched to a, i believe , a zero gauge. Connected right to the block, cranks over great now.

Dan B.
05-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Where is your ground wire from the battery connected to? Mine was on my aluminum heads, my shop guy switched to a, i believe , a zero gauge. Connected right to the block, cranks over great now.

My battery is in the bed and the ground wire is hooked to the frame under the bed. The I have a ground cable going from the frame up front to the block.

Silverhatch
05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
It'll cost a few bucks, might be worth bypassing the frame and wire it directly to the block. Gotta use a pretty heavy gauge wire though.

Dan B.
05-13-2012, 03:55 PM
It'll cost a few bucks, might be worth bypassing the frame and wire it directly to the block. Gotta use a pretty heavy gauge wire though.

I have access to wire so that should not be a problem....definately worth a try.

somethingclever
05-13-2012, 09:28 PM
I would start with 1/0 cables for pos and neg....ground directly to the block as already posted.

The headers on my truck nearly touch (like feeler gauge gap) my starter and there are no issues with hot starts.

Silverhatch
05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Even with 1000 cca, you're not doing yourself any favors by mounting it so far away. Eliminating as many "connections" as possible will help alot. Mount it to iron (block) not aluminum or any accessory brackets.

somethingclever
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
any update on this?

Dan B.
05-20-2012, 06:14 AM
any update on this?

I wish!! This has been keeping me busy for the last couple days........

http://photos.imageevent.com/17encore/danb/dansstuff/websize/deck1.jpg

torqueboxer
05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I had the same issue with my 351 and hooker long tubes. I just broke down and bought the best starter powermaster makes. Never had another issue. Hat was 6 years ago

Dan B.
06-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Update!!

Finally got around to doing something about the horrible hot start issue on the Ranger. Tonight I ran a 1/0 cable directly from the battery ground to the block. Didn't realize it but I already have a 1/0 on the positive side.

After swapping the cable a cold start up was instant, faster than before. Ran the truck around a little while, got some gas and headed back to the garage. This was enough running around to make a hot start impossible and frustrating. Now a turn of the key had the starting spinning as quick as when it was cold and she fired right up!! Yay!!

Silverhatch
06-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Cool.

somethingclever
06-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Good deal