PDA

View Full Version : SCS Official Parts car

Dan B.
06-04-2012, 04:32 PM
The last chapter on the Thunderbird project is completed....hopefully. This was my first fox platform car that (when bought) I thought was exactly the same as a Mustang. It had a 5.0, AOD and lots of options. After buying it I found out the 5.0 was a sad, pathetic excuse for a 5.0 and was way underpowdered (150hp) and super sluggish. After a year or so of sourcing parts from SCS I started working it over in October.

88GT HO 5.0 w/ aftermarket shorties was sourced from Mark Aubele.
T5 w/ Centerforce Clutch, PP and B&M Short throw from badstanglx.
Explorer upper/lower intake from HowMuch?.
H pipe, Edelbrock TB/EGR from badstanglx.
Flowmaster catback from Lou.
A9L from Mark Aubele.
Manual Prop Valve from celeste.
MAF conversion from badstanglx.
Radiator from Lou.
TC hood (yet to be installed) and outer tie rods from 1Badbird

There may even be other stuff that I can't remember and a bunch of new stuff that's not even mentioned....steering rack, MC, lines, Walbro 255, and on and on.. I'm also working on a set of SN-95 stock springs that will lower it about 1.5". The car also has a Turbo Coupe rear with disc brake and 3.55's. It had nasty ten holes so I swapped on other wheels from the wife's fox'vert w/ 225/60-15 BFG RTA's.

http://photos.imageevent.com/17encore/danb/thunderbird/websize/100_5980.JPG

Today was the first voyage after getting all the bugs sorted out. For a stock 5.0L HO w/ the usual bolt-ons this thing rips. It will break traction from a 15mph roll in first gear to redline, keep them spinning well through second gear and chirp tire in third gear.:laughing1: Yeah, it's no new 5.0 or Termi but for my budget it's a helluva bunch of fun. Including the purchase cost and HO/T5 swap parts I have maybe a hair over $3K spent.

If the weather holds for Thursday I plan on taking it to PRP just for giggles.

PaxtonShelby
06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Looks great! I love metallic gray.

So...when do the hairdryerS go on???

ModularMike
06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweet!

Dan B.
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
So...when do the hairdryerS go on???

:snicker::wink: I was talking about that last night with bluenotch and badstanglx.:thmbsup:

Mark Aubele
06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Looks awesome Dan. Hope to see it Thursday.

badstanglx
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
For a big boat this baby shits and gets:twothumbsup:

AdamantiumSilvr
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
NiiiCE, you could add my Stang to the official SCS parts car list too!!! lol Here lemme see, I got the: h-pipe, cat back, throttle body, plenum, alum. driveshaft, strut tower brace, driveshaft loop, roll-bar, svt cobra tailights, current Bullitt rims and the tires/drag radials, Mach 1 chin spoiler, and um sure a couple other things too off of here from numerous members!

Dan B.
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
For a big boat this baby shits and gets:twothumbsup:

You had it for a week and I don't know how much trolling around you did....all the fat chicks in Altoona were blowing kisses when I was leaving town. Now I have to paint it. :Bucktooth:

Erics89GT
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
all my goodies came from here too....add me to that list....i love buyin second hand performance parts

bluenotch
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Man did the fat chicks love that car no cage helps get them in lol

shockstang
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
That's my favorite T-Bird body style.

somethingclever
06-05-2012, 07:39 AM
good luck this thursday...

what was the electrical gremlin?

Dan B.
06-05-2012, 08:00 AM
what was the electrical gremlin?

A bad SD computer.....the 5v feed to the TPS was putting out nearly 9v. So I got a MAF computer from Mark and badstanglx handled the wiring for me (he loves that crap).

Plus I was missing a sensor that plugs into the injector harness...the Explorer intake had no provision for it and I forgot about it. Turns out I just had to pull the sensor from the stock T-bird intake and plug it into the harness and then it just lays on the intake.

I'm still amazed at how well it runs. Getting plates on it today. Hope to get the A/C up and running next week. Then she's done.

Mark Aubele
06-05-2012, 08:02 AM
...the Explorer intake had no provision for it and I forgot about it. Turns out I just had to pull the sensor from the stock T-bird intake and plug it into the harness and then it just lays on the intake.

I did the same thing...

somethingclever
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't too hard to get straightened out....

What is your 1/4mi guess?

Dan B.
06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
What is your 1/4mi guess?

I have no idea....it's heavier than a fox Mustang but it's rolling with all the same usual bolt ons...intake, TB, pullies, exhaust, gears. It pulls strong and smooth. We'll see I guess.

Been years since I've made a pass in a car, raced the bike for quite a while. I may only drive the first pass. After that I'm going to let my buddy drive it. He helped on a bunch of the work and has never raced so I'll let him get some seat time.