PDA

View Full Version : Barton or MGW on MT82?

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi folks,

When the new GT gets here one of the first things that I will change is the shifter. I have heard great things about the Barton shifter and bracket, as well as the MGW piece. Both units are rather pricey, but from the videos and comments I have seen they are both quality pieces., and by far the best 2 shifters available.

It seems the Barton gives you the shortest throws and is well-built. And the MGW unit seems to be a sturdier piece ( Barton still pretty sturdy ) with shorter throws than stock, but not as short as the Barton.

NVH supposedly is very good on either shifter.

I'd like to see each of these shifters in person and see how they feel before I make a decision. Anyone out there have either on their '11+ 5.0? If so, I'd like to check it out sometime.

Thanks,

Ron

Here's a link to the Barton:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-mt82-2post-kit.html

and here is a link to the MGW:
http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

THE BIG KOALA
01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I have the Barton shifter in mine with the bracket and I love it. My daughter just bought me a 5.0 shiift knob so I am going to sell the black one that came with the Barton. If you want to see how the shifter is feel free to come on over and try it.

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks Koala. You're on the other side of town from me, but maybe sometime in the next few months if I'm going to be out your way I'll give you a shout.

Great to hear that you like the Barton - it is amazing how tight and short those throws are from the videos I have seen.

THE BIG KOALA
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I could also meet you at the Pittsburg mills or somewhere to cut some time of for ya. I have a brother in law that lives in moon and it takes me about an hour. Yes the shifter is short and quick and makes a world of difference.

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Pgh Mills could be doable some nice weekend. Unless you happen to be visiting your brother-in-law out here sometime in the GT. Thanks for the offer - hopefully sometime soon it'll work out. :goodidea:

1320goat
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I've heard good things about both shifters. When are you supposed to take delivery of your car?

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I've heard good things about both shifters. When are you supposed to take delivery of your car?

The build date will be sometime in March per the dealer, so I think it will be here by the end of April at the latest. That is good for me, because I am not bringing it home until the roads are clean.

THE BIG KOALA
01-13-2013, 06:47 PM
My car usually comes out of hibernation in march.

1320goat
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
The build date will be sometime in March per the dealer, so I think it will be here by the end of April at the latest. That is good for me, because I am not bringing it home until the roads are clean.

Sweet..any details on the car? Nothing like building a car with everything you want in it.

My car usually comes out of hibernation in march.

I'm with you on that..my car is all ripped apart in the garage right now for a '13 grille update and a new 3 core heat exchanger.

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
She will be a 2014 GT Premium in Sterling Gray Metallic with the Track Pack, leather Recaros, glass roof, and spoiler delete. Going to be a LONG winter...

Anyone around here have an MGW shifter on their MT-82?

Darren
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
not to throw a wrench into this, but ive honestly heard nothing but good things from the SR Short throw shifter from American Muscle. i'm probably going to purchase it myself

PaxtonShelby
01-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I haven't heard of that one, but hey - I've got time - might as well at least read up on it!

Wolfpack Speed
01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
I don't know what it is but the aftermarket shifters don't do much for me in the 11+ cars. I probably like the Hurst the best.

GOT SVT
01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
i had a barton on my 12gt, it was good

not sure yet which way i am going for the boss

they also just released a ford racing one ( might be made by barton )

PaxtonShelby
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The Ford Racing one looks like it is the Barton with a mark-up.

03 OW SVT
01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Ron, I have an SR I just haven't installed it yet. As Darren said I have heard great things about it. However the throw is not as short as the Barton.

PaxtonShelby
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Ron, I have an SR I just haven't installed it yet. As Darren said I have heard great things about it. However the throw is not as short as the Barton.

Get that puppy installed and let's go for a ride!

03 OW SVT
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Get that puppy installed and let's go for a ride!

Gonna have to wait till Spring. Its on lay-up insurance till March.:frown:

03 OW SVT
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I also got the bracket.

White5.0
01-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I have a Barton 2 post, but haven't installed it yet. Car's been in the garage for the winter, gonna wait till spring so I can use a friend's lift.

The stock shifter is actually really smooth and a very short throw compared to older mustangs. Only problem is shifting hard at high RPM. Sometimes it just will not go into gear due to the crappy stock bracket that lets the shifter move all over the place. The barton 2 post eliminates this movement.

The MGW shifter looks amazing, I will probably get it down the line.

Seer
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
i had a barton on my 12gt, it was good

not sure yet which way i am going for the boss

they also just released a ford racing one ( might be made by barton )

it is made by Barton.

After owning both the MGW and Barton, I like them both. The MGW does allow you to adjust the throw though and actually replaces the entire shifting box, whereas the barton bolts on top.

with this being said on some 2013 GT's there is an issue with the barton's and the reverse lock out.

unit5alive
05-10-2013, 06:49 AM
I did the MGW ,it's much better than the stock shifter !

PaxtonShelby
05-10-2013, 08:45 PM
The MGW is still on the to-do list, but I have decided to do an exhaust upgrade first.

phillysrt4
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Glad I read through this thread. I've been meaning to upgrade the shifter too. The MGW looks like a nice piece too.

(edited because I misread a post and my question was already answered)