PDA

View Full Version : Tire/Alignment Issues

RUSH2112
04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I pulled the front tires off because I am getting a horrible vibration when I apply the brakes at a high speed. Thought it might be the brakes or rotors, but they look good. Brake pads look almost new (alot of meat on them) and the rotors are smooth and not scored. The tires are going on 3 years and I was hoping to get 1 more season out of them. They probably have about 15,000 miles on them in 2 seasons (yeah, I only put about 5-8K per year)

So both front tires have severe inner wear and 1 is showing the cords/threads. Looks like I need 2 front tires for inspection. I have some in the shed from the last time I changed them.

Is 2 years/15,000 miles good for tires? I have rotated them in that time as well. My concern is the inner wear. What causes that? Mis-alignment? I think I have a lifetime Sears alignment check, so I'll get some tires on there and take it to them. I will probably replace the brakes/rotors/tires next year so I know they are all new.

I heard that factory spec calls for the wheels to lean in at the top,to get the car to handle better, but it is really bad on the tires. There is a couple of ways to correct this problem. Caster/Camber Plates,or ford has a "Fix" Spindle bolts that will correct the alignment problem. The Ford Fix,only Ford will do,and your car must be taken to them to have it done.

Can anyone confirm this "ford fix"? If so, please explain

2000GT
04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Don,
Your brake rotors are probably warped. You will not see the warpage with a naked eye. Alignment and tires have nothing to do with a vibration when you apply the brakes.

As far as the tires, that is definetely an alignment issue.

Good luck!

RUSH2112
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey Sean. Nice to see you around again.

How are you sure that it is the brakes and/or rotors? They are both new since last year and only have 8,000 miles on them. Are my calipers hanging up to cause the warping?

J-rod
04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
drive in rain much? getting the rotors hot then runnign through a puddle even can cause warpage.....my buddy had a set in his heated garage and took them outside on a cold day....instantly warped....he didnt even had 20 miles on them and they were bad. :dunno:

id have the rotors checked...it definately seems like a brake issue. as mine is doing the same and i KNOW i need brakes.

RUSH2112
04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
No, I try not to drive in the rain and it was stored all winter also.

The pads look good, so I'll have to take them off and have the rotors checked.

RUSH2112
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Don,
Your brake rotors are probably warped. You will not see the warpage with a naked eye. Alignment and tires have nothing to do with a vibration when you apply the brakes.

As far as the tires, that is definetely an alignment issue.

Good luck!

I put better tires on the front and the vibration is 98% gone. I guess it was the tires, but I am still going to check the rotors/brakes

6987stangs
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Pulsation When Braking Is Definately Warped Rotors. As For Your Tire Wear You Should Get Caster/camber Plates And Have The Camber Set -.5 And Get As Much Caster As Possible With A .5 Degree Reading On The Right Side. Your Tires Will Not Wear Out As Bad And You'll Have Good Handling And Steering