PDA

View Full Version : LSx questions/info

wick
01-23-2015, 08:44 AM
I figured now would be a good time to gather some more information. I'm building an LS powered '68 Chevy C-10 truck. Going with an 02 LSx for obvious reasons. Stupid power can be had and very simple to get also. Engine is the LQ4 truck 6.0 with a 4L80e trans. I have no idea on most of th stuff with these. I know caddy heads are supposed to be good but I think I read you need the intake also due to bolt pattern. I have drive by cable and would like to keep that although I wouldn't be opposed to doing DBW.
I guess what I'm looking at here is the fellas with the ls cars, toss in some info for what has worked for you and power builders without breaking the bank.
Doing the harness is basically the easy part as its pretty much a stand alone as it is. Eliminate some wires, shorten and lengthen some. Add an LED for the engine light and presto!

wick
01-23-2015, 08:48 AM
One of the reasons I'm wanting to keep the drive by cable is the fact that I have a complete and running truck right now. I actually drive it daily. Has a brand spanking new transmission also. I believe if I go with the other setup I need the according harness. Their easy to come by so not much of a big deal there. Mater was saying something about the GM hot cam kit also. More than likely will do that.

SK360
01-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I ran L92/LS3 heads on my 6.0 in my GTO, got them for $450 for the pair and have to pair them with a LS3/L76 intake due to the square ports which you can find for $2-300. With a custom ground cam and the heads milled 0.030 that motor put down 450rwhp/419rwtq through a Stalled 4L60.

wick
01-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Where did the cam come from? That's pretty good numbers also! Would I be able to retain the cable throttle body?

wick
01-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Which exhaust ports are on those heads also? That's going to play a part in the header selection. As it stands right now, if I leave the LQ4, I'm looking at about $600+ for swap headers. I think the trailblazer SS manifolds fit with a little soft frame bending with a torch and crescent wrench. Need about 3/4" clearance on the driver side.

TooFast98Cobra
01-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Little john motorsports is the only guy I would use when choosing a cam rob.

TooFast98Cobra
01-23-2015, 09:21 AM
http://www.liljohnsmotorsports.com/

wick
01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Where's that at Bill? I'm open to anything right now. I just saw a place called Texas motorsports that has a nice offering on package deals. I never heard of them though.

SK360
01-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Got the cam from Virginia Speed when Ed Hutchins was still there. It was a 227/239 .614/.624 114+5, not a world beater but wanted something civil with the auto and you don't get a lot of intake valve clearance with the L92/LS3 heads to run a longer duration without flycutting the pistons. Brian Tooley Racing is a good place to start for LS Cam/Engine/Valvetrain stuff.

Graphs with locked converter vs unlocked. Converter kept releasing up top or it prob would have made 455.. lol.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/SK360_PGH/Dyno%20Graphs/MattL92.jpg

The LS3/L76 intake is made for a 90mm throttle body but cable/dbw doesn't matter.

As far as exhaust ports, not sure... the same headers I used with my stock LS2 heads bolted right up. Might not be the best option but they run well for a budget head setup.

TooFast98Cobra
01-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Also for a local guy who knows his "LS" stuff i'd turn to George . He has that orange notch in the 8's and it junk yard/eBay stuff .

TooFast98Cobra
01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't mind putting an ls2 in my 93 cobra just to piss off the ford redneck worshipers. Lol

wick
01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
I like it.
I need to find out more options on headers and such here. I could go with the hooker cast ones that basically resemble a log type.

wick
01-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Also for a local guy who knows his "LS" stuff i'd turn to George . He has that orange notch in the 8's and it junk yard/eBay stuff .

Conroy? Haven't talked to him since I got his blue blazer from him.

wick
01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't mind putting an ls2 in my 93 cobra just to piss off the ford redneck worshipers. Lol

Hahaha.
You still have that big block in the corner of the office?

TooFast98Cobra
01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Hahaha.
You still have that big block in the corner of the office?

Lol I wish . That would be perfect to put in there .

pwtmxracing
01-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah lil john is a top notch he knows his stuff ....

RUTHLESS
01-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Give the guys at Street Lethal a call. They are building all engines in house now, even GMs so they should be able to point you in the right direction.

lib88stang
01-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Lil john and sloppymechanics has endless info

wick
01-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Lol I wish . That would be perfect to put in there .

Haha!!!! Hell yeah.

wick
01-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I'll look at those places too. Thanks guys.
We.could make this the LSx go-to thread.
I know you're doing the LSx in that red fox Shawn.

John4cam
01-23-2015, 11:36 AM
how about 1st try?

SK360
01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
how about 1st try?

Jeff ftw

scott5
01-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Oh geese.. if your looking at DD stuff you wanna keep the cam on the light side, me personally am a fan of the Rec port style stuff but the cathedral stuff makes big power and is known for making big power. All these is according to budget. You can make 400-440 very very easily 460-510 takes soil more money and thought about process. Set your goals, set your budget, which setup( na, boost, or spray) and you can build accordingly.

Lil John is great for turbo stuff but NA I haven't seen anything too impressive. I have talked to Jon and will probably go with him IF my 236/236 setup doesn't work as well as I want.
Martin from Tick has proven cams, Brian Tooley who works ALOT with Jon is another option and I would go with tooley over Jon for a NA/spray cam as I have in past on my nitrous setups.

243/799 and ls6/fast setup makes good power and options of porting heads and or fast down the road. Down here I have a lot of performance shops that I support so I don't really buy or get info from anyone else. Tick performance, Mayhem Motorsports, RPM, HED, Ultimate Converters.

There are a million different options out there. Need to know goals, budget and use to point you in the right way

wick
01-23-2015, 01:30 PM
As far as goals, I'm not doing a racer. I'm doing a fun driver. Little lumpy idle. Snappy on the throttle. To take it to the strip will require more work. This isn't farmtruck here. Hahaha. I do want some power though.
The trans i assume is controlled by the PCM...hence the "e". Shift points and such can be manipulated, right?

scott5
01-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Yea and it's the TCM.

For budget. I'd do like mentioned before by sk360. L92s and ls3 intake with cam of your choice, ed Curtis if you go custom or a 243/799 setup with one of ticks torquemax cams or a custom one from Martin and your stock intake or a Fast 92 if in budget with a good tune.

I will be driving up to Tick performance soon to get a few parts for my new build and to talk about a cam for a ls1 swap going into a S10 (once I find another truck)

If ya ever need any help or looking for any parts feel free to hit me up Rob. With all the cars and projects I have done lately I got a lot of stuff left over all over The place and have a lot of other friends and shops who got stuff laying around

Terminated
01-23-2015, 02:45 PM
how about 1st try?

Jeff ftw

He could definitely assist if you're trying to stuff an LS in to _________ (insert random vehicle here).

wick
01-23-2015, 03:37 PM
He could definitely assist if you're trying to stuff an LS in to _________ (insert random vehicle here).

Don't really need any help putting it in. That's the easy part, especially with my skill level. Just looking for what works with what and where you can get easy power from.

wick
01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Yea and it's the TCM.

For budget. I'd do like mentioned before by sk360. L92s and ls3 intake with cam of your choice, ed Curtis if you go custom or a 243/799 setup with one of ticks torquemax cams or a custom one from Martin and your stock intake or a Fast 92 if in budget with a good tune.

I will be driving up to Tick performance soon to get a few parts for my new build and to talk about a cam for a ls1 swap going into a S10 (once I find another truck)

If ya ever need any help or looking for any parts feel free to hit me up Rob. With all the cars and projects I have done lately I got a lot of stuff left over all over The place and have a lot of other friends and shops who got stuff laying around

I may be interested in some of the left over stuff you have. Depending on what's there. This is where I'm going to have to figure which intake I'm going to use. Different injectors for car and truck.
You still have the same number?

scott5
01-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Yup. Still the same number. I would use the truck manifold. They actually make more torque. You can always shave it and paint it to make it look better.

wick
01-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Yup. Still the same number. I would use the truck manifold. They actually make more torque. You can always shave it and paint it to make it look better.

That crossed my mind. Smoothing it and laying some paint on it. The longer runners are good for some down low stuff.

scott5
01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
I will be using a truck style fast 102 on my setup. You also have the edlebrock and Holley options since you have the clearance if you wanna spend alil more money

bgblockelcamino
01-31-2015, 12:47 PM
finally coming to dark side? lol. been a while since we have talked Rob!

wick
01-31-2015, 03:03 PM
finally coming to dark side? lol. been a while since we have talked Rob!

Hahaha. Yes sir Jeffie.

Tell me about it. I'll have to stop down sometime soon.