PDA

View Full Version : WTB - 20' enclosed trailer or open with options

Martin0660
12-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm in the market to buy a trailer. A long shot I suspect, but if anyone has one to sell hit me up.

no more than 20' enclosed as I'm pulling with my 1/2 ton Ram

i might entertain a good open trailer with a box on the front, but leaning to finally going to an enclosed.

i know the new dealers, just seeing if there was anything out there before getting serious with a dealer.

yeahloh95
12-03-2015, 07:12 AM
here you go bob

http://metzlerauto.com/trailer/homesteader-challenger-85x20-car-hauler

they have a bunch of nice trailers and some nice alum open ones too

yeahloh95
12-03-2015, 07:13 AM
oh and i found you a used one too i will have info tomorrow

Ares
12-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Look into a V-nose. It would give you some extra room. Also measure them if you do as not all makes are the same in depth. Also measure bottom of car door heights to fender heights in any trailers. Makes life easier if door can open a few more inches. My Bendron V is hair over 30" on inside which still left me 23'-9" of floor space on a 24' trailer once I built cabinets. A 20ft Bendron would still give you an easy 3ft from front of car to any cabinets if you put some in. I bought mine at All Pro out near Carlisle.

Check tires even if you get a new one. Some of the Chinese crap that is used for tires is complete trash.

Martin0660
12-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Door height is a big deal for me for sure.

I am leaning to a V Nose, but one I was looking at seemed like it would be difficult to add a distribution hitch. Need to watch that too.

As far as cabinets, I was thinking about putting one of the harbor freight $350 tool boxes in there, then make a countertop for it.

for new, I'm leaning to United. They have a model with beaver tail, a longer lift up jump door, and it's 9 1/2 to clear it all. I would likely still need to put in 2 x10 runners under the tires to clear that (the open trailer I use is 7 1/2" fender height). Runners would make it easier to get under the front end to tie down anyway since I can't use the key hole hooks I currently use.

Still shopping obviously,

thanks Troy - I know you said about those guys

TooFast98Cobra
12-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Try climbing out a drivers window with s 25.5 cage. Another reason I'm selling mine .

Ares
12-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Door height is a big deal for me for sure.

I am leaning to a V Nose, but one I was looking at seemed like it would be difficult to add a distribution hitch. Need to watch that too.

As far as cabinets, I was thinking about putting one of the harbor freight $350 tool boxes in there, then make a countertop for it.

for new, I'm leaning to United. They have a model with beaver tail, a longer lift up jump door, and it's 9 1/2 to clear it all. I would likely still need to put in 2 x10 runners under the tires to clear that (the open trailer I use is 7 1/2" fender height). Runners would make it easier to get under the front end to tie down anyway since I can't use the key hole hooks I currently use.

Still shopping obviously,

thanks Troy - I know you said about those guys

I've been looking into a weight distribution hitch and I'm pretty sure I can get a Blue Ox to work. Measurements from Blue Ox would put the chain tensioners right at edge of wall. Welding or bolting those to frame. (Not the flip up style)

Try climbing out a drivers window with s 25.5 cage. Another reason I'm selling mine .

At that point I'd use a winch.

Martin0660
12-04-2015, 07:38 AM

A jump door, and the ability to use it (fender height) are on my must have list if I go enclosed. For sure that whole hassle is a reason to stay with an open trailer .... It just seems like lately we have mostly been doing the 3 day events, a lot of times with an additional day for travel, so having a place to tuck the car away seems logical. For PRP I just drive there, and for one day stuff the open trailer works well. I'm just tired of loading all the crap in the car every night, unloading it every morning, then needing the car cleaned every morning.

I think ink most of it comes with getting old, lol

TooFast98Cobra
12-04-2015, 08:13 AM
A jump door, and the ability to use it (fender height) are on my must have list if I go enclosed. For sure that whole hassle is a reason to stay with an open trailer .... It just seems like lately we have mostly been doing the 3 day events, a lot of times with an additional day for travel, so having a place to tuck the car away seems logical. For PRP I just drive there, and for one day stuff the open trailer works well. I'm just tired of loading all the crap in the car every night, unloading it every morning, then needing the car cleaned every morning.

I think ink most of it comes with getting old, lol

Great post Bob. I love my open trailer . Easy to get and I can use my dd to pull it with . But if we are going for weekend event you can't beat the enclosed. Cart fits in the trailer also. For me to get my enclosed trailer I have to get the truck then go get the trailer and load. It ends up being a half day hassle. Its all in what u want to use it for and how much you will use it.

CobraII
12-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Winches FTW. I can climb in, provided I leave myself enough room on the driver's side for my gravitationaly challenged self, but ain't no way I can climb out. Long cord on the winch switch, so I can walk up and adjust the steering wheel as needed.

Shameless plug for our sponsor (Balaska and me): Bob Jones sells United:
http://www.jonesrv.com/html/race_cars.html

Martin0660
12-04-2015, 09:24 AM
For me to get my enclosed trailer I have to get the truck then go get the trailer and load. It ends up being a half day hassle.

My situation is similar ... Car and truck are at home, trailer is my buddies (but I would keep a new trailer there anyway). Typical day to "load up" ... Get wifey to drive truck and I drive car to my buddies. Hook up trailer, load car... Then head home and load EZ up, chairs, tools, spares, grill, etc into car. I usually do all this the night before, then head out in the morning ... This means car sits out all night anyway, then on the trailer to the event ... Get there, unload all the support stuff, unload car, set up stuff, wipe down car ... End of the day, tear it all down and load it into the car, car sits outside at event ... Next morning unload car, wipe it down, etc. etc. etc ...if gates open at 8:00 and time trials are 9:00 it's a pain to be ready in the morning.

i also have been very happy towing with an open for my car and truck. If I could find the right open, with a nice sized box on the front (for all the support stuff), I would still be incluned to go that way from some angles ... The issue with "loaded up" open trailers is, they approach the price of enclosed deals.

thats the the reality as you said, how you use it ... We have mostly just been doing the 2-3 day events the last years, and the loading / unloading of the car is less hassle than the loading / unloading of all of the other crap with an enclosed. It's not like I'm taking a lot of stuff, but moving it twice a day, every day is getting tiring.

If if I was racing local, I drive to PRP, and have already broke it there, ran and got the truck and trailer, then hauled home. Not worth a trailer for me for that. Even that said, lots of folks just leave their trailers there and use them like a garage almost ...

Chuck - I intend to talk to Bob, but they don't stock them, and these little details I'm sweating make me want to see and touch a trailer before buying (or ordering) one. I was fishing to see if there was anything out there before buying new.

yeahloh95
12-04-2015, 11:51 AM
bob that place in hagerstown has them in stock. so you can go look at them , i was impressed with united also, the build quality is very good .

TooFast98Cobra
12-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Vintage outlaws are a good bang the buck.

CobraII
12-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I gotcha, Bob. Jones has a storage area, so there may be someone storing their United for the winter there. Balaska's trailer is through Bob, though it's not an apples to apples comparison, as his is a 28' with extra height and he pulls with a Duramax.

Mine is a garage at the track for me, since I'm a weekly points racer. Saves me wear and tear and gas, and I can roll it in if it starts to rain. It's also some shade in the summer when the car is outside.

Martin0660
12-27-2015, 02:01 PM
I guess we can close this out, placing an order Monday :)

yeahloh95
12-27-2015, 03:15 PM
which one are you going with

Martin0660
12-27-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm going to order through Metzler ....

Black 20', escape door, extended tongue, ramp with docking bumpers and 48" flap, finished walls and ceiling, screw less exterior, all LED lighting. Skipping the electric package, it adds delivery time and I think I can do better myself later. It's going to be tight to be delivered in time for Bradenton

PaxtonShelby
12-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Sounds like an awesome rig!

yeahloh95
12-28-2015, 09:40 AM
that is awesome that will make a very nice set up

Martin0660
12-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks, it's exciting to finally own my own trailer .... Didn't mention above, went wth insulation along with the ceiling package.

Ares
12-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Welcome to having a mobile garage :goodidea: Should stay cool with having escape door and side door in the summer.

I still need to do ceiling and add lighting. Plus few other things.

Martin0660
12-28-2015, 06:03 PM
I got the ceiling insulated and finished, didn't want to take that on myself ....

the floor will be my first topic. I actually had a package with checkered flooring and a diamond plate ramp but kept getting stories of failures, staining from everything, and slipping issues .... Thinking about some porch paint, a carpet runner in the middle, and maybe indoor out door carpet in the front. Seems like some guys have gone that way. I just ordered it bare for now.

i backed the electric pre wire out .... I think I can do better myself. Really all they was doing was a 30 amp panel, two 2' lights, and 2 receptacles. I can do a RV docking plug, 4' LED lights, and put receptacles where I like for that price

Ares
12-28-2015, 06:46 PM
I used 1 part epoxy floor paint and then cleared it with Clearcrete(sp?) Rubber still leaves marks on it. Can get a tad slippery when wet. So looking o do something with ramp. I had some tread plate to put under tires where car sits.

somethingclever
12-29-2015, 11:51 AM
all this race car talk!!!!!!!!

Martin0660
12-29-2015, 01:13 PM
all this race car talk!!!!!!!!

Still a street car, but we have been racing pretty far away most of the time any more .... After spending 3 days in the rain in Bowling Green, and what seems like at least one other rain day at every race this season, it's time to have some shelter .... To go to a race now, I go pick up a borrowed trailer, load the car, load tent, chairs, tools, spares, grill, etc all into the car ... Every morning unload crap from car, clean car, race, then after all day load it all back in the car as storage. Screw what people think, it will be nice to pull the car in at the end of the day, close the doors and go to the hotel .... And if it's raining, keep dry and not worry about the tent blowing into someone's car or the next county.

call mine what you want, I use it to drive, race, and don't really care what people think

somethingclever
12-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Still a street car, but we have been racing pretty far away most of the time any more .... After spending 3 days in the rain in Bowling Green, and what seems like at least one other rain day at every race this season, it's time to have some shelter .... To go to a race now, I go pick up a borrowed trailer, load the car, load tent, chairs, tools, spares, grill, etc all into the car ... Every morning unload crap from car, clean car, race, then after all day load it all back in the car as storage. Screw what people think, it will be nice to pull the car in at the end of the day, close the doors and go to the hotel .... And if it's raining, keep dry and not worry about the tent blowing into someone's car or the next county.

call mine what you want, I use it to drive, race, and don't really care what people think

Just bustin balls Bob!

I completely understand wanting shelter and working less to enjoy racing than working harder. ;)

Congrats on the new trailer.

THE BIG KOALA
12-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Or the tent snapping the poles. That trailer will save you so much time at each event well worth it.

Martin0660
12-29-2015, 06:56 PM
It will be easier for all of us to set up ;)

yeahloh95
12-29-2015, 09:10 PM
I was at metzlers today they thanked me for sending you there

Martin0660
12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Cool deal, did you order one too? Lol

yeahloh95
12-30-2015, 10:59 PM
my buddy thad was paying for his 24ft

Martin0660
12-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Cool, waiting on them to get my drawing back, then I'll need to run back up there too.

he was impressed with the 2.3 car, was funny that he has a SVO

yeahloh95
12-30-2015, 11:35 PM
I need the engine they have on display for my truck

Martin0660
12-31-2015, 10:55 AM
I would find a place for that too

yeahloh95
01-02-2016, 01:50 PM
750hp worth of hemi

Martin0660
01-02-2016, 02:00 PM
The front acessory drive might cost as much as my engine, lol

yeahloh95
01-03-2016, 12:24 PM
if you need a picture of the capri on the back door I know a guy

Martin0660
01-03-2016, 04:42 PM
You must of been talking to Traci. That's what she is going to miss on an open trailer is gaukers on the highway

yeahloh95
01-03-2016, 05:31 PM
thad @ icon signs can take care of you