PDA

View Full Version : still not happy with the 5.0

J-rod
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
ok still not happy with how it runs....ive taken it out some back roads with a nice long straight and launched it. it launches nice....has nice power (prolly due to 3.73) but it seems to fall on its face at 2/3 shift. (auto)

i dont know why but i still think maybe a TPS is going bad...since i can be full throttle and it just doesnt feel like full throttle. is it all in my head?

also would bumping the timing make that much of a difference? i have heard that the timing to 13-15 will make a world of difference in the 5.0?

anyone kinda close ( with 5.0) wanna come down and drive it sometime and lmk if im crazy? :laughing:

also ive had a bunch of people tell me to get rid of the platinum plugs i just put in. why? i wanted motorcraft but they were out of stock. i installed platinum and actually removed some platinum +4

Cam99
05-09-2007, 09:06 AM
ok still not happy with how it runs....ive taken it out some back roads with a nice long straight and launched it. it launches nice....has nice power (prolly due to 3.73) but it seems to fall on its face at 2/3 shift. (auto)

i dont know why but i still think maybe a TPS is going bad...since i can be full throttle and it just doesnt feel like full throttle. is it all in my head?

also would bumping the timing make that much of a difference? i have heard that the timing to 13-15 will make a world of difference in the 5.0?

anyone kinda close ( with 5.0) wanna come down and drive it sometime and lmk if im crazy? :laughing:

also ive had a bunch of people tell me to get rid of the platinum plugs i just put in. why? i wanted motorcraft but they were out of stock. i installed platinum and actually removed some platinum +4

I may have missed some of the whole story with your car, but mine was seeming to dog pretty bad underload. Cleaned the MAS electronics and it made a huge difference.

J-rod
05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
ill try to clean all sensors sometime next week...depending on the chaos.
have to use carb cleaner right? or is that just for the IAC and TB?

also what all can i remove to delete the AC. mine looks to need converted and charged so i might dump it. i rarely use it anyways. will the heat and defrost still work?

billyNOTnice
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM

also what all can i remove to delete the AC. mine looks to need converted and charged so i might dump it. i rarely use it anyways. will the heat and defrost still work?

Jared. Yes increasing your timing will make a world of difference. I usally set mine to 14*, but you could even got to 16 depending on your car. 14 is nice and safe. If you want to delete your A/C www.uprproducts.com (http://www.uprproducts.com) has a delete plate they sell, infact I actually have one I could sell you I guess. I'm not sure about what chem to use to clean your MAF I've never sprayed anything on it before.

billyNOTnice
05-09-2007, 02:01 PM
if you wanted to check your TPS you could put a multimeter on it, and have someone in the car slowly press the gas, and watch the voltage rise up and see if it jumps around or if it moves up steady. I doubt your TPS is going bad though or it would probably make a very noticeable change.

Cam99
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
WARNING: I have no idea if this is proper....but I used rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean all the gunk off my electronics. Gave it a couple minutes to evaporate and put them back in and was 110% improved. I had alot of gunk built up on it.

J-rod
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
WARNING: I have no idea if this is proper....but I used rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean all the gunk off my electronics. Gave it a couple minutes to evaporate and put them back in and was 110% improved. I had alot of gunk built up on it.

did you use that to clean inside the MAF as well?

or did you just clean the plug connector. im confused

INSANELY CRAZY
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM

to stay with the stock belt for now, you can remove everything hooked to pump and toss... this includes the condenser in front of car. radiator

lmm sell the ford a/c delete kit's for (round $40) correct me if im wrong, that was what i paid a while back (this kit moves the power steering up, and ditches the a/c pump... very easy to install

Cam99
05-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Inside the MAF. Did nothing to the connector

Warriorblaze
05-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Go buy a can of CRC MAF cleaner, or electrical contact cleaner from the electronics store.

Jivepepper broke the wires on his MAF using a qtip and alcohol. Carb/brake cleaner will leave a residue and negate any positive effects.

J-rod
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
thanks warrior

and rob...ill check that pulley from LMM

im still hoping to get smog pulley from wick unless he sells it or decides to use before i get to carnegie again

lib88stang
05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Its not a pulley, its a bracket that moves the ps pump up where it would be if it was a factory non AC car.

Sonic03snake
05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Here is an A/C delete photo on my vert.

wick
05-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Its yours Jared. Dont be a fool and remove your A/C. The gain you would get in not even noticible. Its better to cool that save about 20 lbs from your car. The only time the A/C uses engine power is when its on. The pulley takes no power from the motor unless the clutch is kicks on. quick was here earlier and talking about the trans he has. You really should jump on it. Its a smoking deal and will for sure change the way that thing launches.:goodidea:

INSANELY CRAZY
05-09-2007, 10:34 PM
thanks warrior

and rob...ill check that pulley from LMM

im still hoping to get smog pulley from wick unless he sells it or decides to use before i get to carnegie again

just yank it off the motor... no need to buy a smog pully delete....

once you get the a/c delete kit then you can buy a shorter belt... :yes:

INSANELY CRAZY
05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Here is an A/C delete photo on my vert.

how much from you? ima need one two

J-rod
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
well i was gonna delete the ac....instead of paying to convert/charge it :dunno: and that damn line across the intake is fugly.

i want the smog delete pulley incase i leave the ac then i can still run a stock belt.

id like to get quik's transmission but i cant afford to spend $$ right now. on may 23rd i should know if i get a coaching job or not. if so thats 2k extra coming in.

Sonic03snake
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
how much from you? ima need one two
Off the top of my head the bracket kit is 44.95 and the belt cost me 29.00 from advance.:goodidea:

White5.0
05-09-2007, 10:57 PM
jared is your water pump pulley crooked? or am i seeing things?

383taman
05-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Its Lous car and yea it is there are no bolts in the pulley.

jared is your water pump pulley crooked? or am i seeing things?

White5.0
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Its Lous car and yea it is there are no bolts in the pulley.

o crap i wasnt looking at who posted the pics...i am an idiot :duh: lol

Sonic03snake
05-09-2007, 11:09 PM
o crap i wasnt looking at who posted the pics...i am an idiot :duh: lol
LOL, im updating a few things to get it ready to sell. New thermostat, coolant, used rad, oil change, etc.:thmbsup:

Cam99
05-10-2007, 12:04 AM
LOL, im updating a few things to get it ready to sell. New thermostat, coolant, used rad, oil change, etc.:thmbsup:

It was the turbines that made you want to sell it now:biglaugh:

Mr. Rob
05-10-2007, 01:45 AM
5.0's are known for having MAF sensors go bad

Sonic03snake
05-10-2007, 08:09 AM
It was the turbines that made you want to sell it now:biglaugh:LOL, no. I think we are going to upgrade to a low mile all original one. No time for another project.:thmbsup:

J-rod
05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
that looks nice lou.

scott5
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
take them both off and grab up some underdrive pulleys and you will get some gain.

J-rod
05-10-2007, 08:32 AM
take them both off and grab up some underdrive pulleys and you will get some gain.

not until i get a newer alt.... i have charging problems with my new 75a alt already.

scott5
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
not until i get a newer alt.... i have charging problems with my new 75a alt already.

i got ya:thmbsup: