PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Skills - Transmission Adaptation ?

coralcoupe1993
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Ok, I have a 64 Galaxie that I want to put a Tremmic in. I want to retain the stock location of the center concel. The car is currently a 390 4-speed. The clutch is manual via likage. Any ideas on where to start?

Rodeheaver's
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
thats not to big of a problem, i have put em in 70 mustangs and 78 mustang 2s. i think you could drill your current bell housing and check the input shaft to see if it is the same length, if so then slam it in, but iff no you will have to fabricate an allum adapter, and hurst sells a lay back shifter to fit the older consoles...

itow
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
If you use the standard tremec, they have the same length input shaft as a Toploader and you should be able to use a stock 390 bell (and flywheel/clutch kit). OR, if you want a blow proof, any toploader style should work. If you want to get crazy, mcloud (i think its them) sells an adaptable bell to make pretty much any trans fit your engine (with adapter rings and such).
As for the shifter, there are 3 locations on a tremec where you can mounth the shifter. Throw it in the car and see which one should work.. if my memory serves me correctly, you should be able to use the rearmost shifter location...
I have a T5 in my 67 Fairlane and LOVE IT.. 3:89 gears, 245/45/17 tires... 80 mph and about 2400 rpm with the A/C on!!! ;)

coralcoupe1993
05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Nice info! Yea, I have a side loader and a top loader. The top loader isnt for the car (probably for a Mustang or Fairlane) and well the side loaders dont like my 390 :) . So I may start this project as soon as I cant my carbs correct! :thmbsup: