PDA

View Full Version : Slipping 2nd Gear??

FrvrDreamin
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Well today i left work and the car would not stay in 2nd easily and soudned like i was grinding the bajesus out of it.. 4 hours earlier i went to lunch and it was fine.. seems to slip out of 2nd n grind, but at times goes into 2nd n stays..

Any opinions?

INSANELY CRAZY
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
synicros

FrvrDreamin
05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
syncronizers?? not sure what they are or what they do..
not sure who to have look at it or how much it will cost to get fixed either??

Troll
05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Well today i left work and the car would not stay in 2nd easily and soudned like i was grinding the bajesus out of it.. 4 hours earlier i went to lunch and it was fine.. seems to slip out of 2nd n grind, but at times goes into 2nd n stays..

Any opinions?

tremec 3650 right? there is a TSB out on them, but you still have to pay $900-$1200 for a dealer to fix it. Basically the synchros go out in 1st and 2nd gear. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I'm thinking you should take it to a reputable tranny shop and have them check it out. You can find a brand new TKO 500 for around $1,600.

Mine grinds going into 1st from any speed except 0mph. I just deal with it and stay in second or come to a complete stop. Most folks with 3650 problems experience exactly what you are... jumping out of and grinding into 2nd. Hell, there's about a 3,000 post sticky on Stangnet about it. Grab a case or two and read it. :laughing:

I've heard that Ford Dealers charge $900 for the kit and $200-$300 for the labor. There's a guy on Modular Depot and Stangnet... his name is Randy Stinchcomb or something and he works and a big dealer in Maryland. He has his own section on Modular Depot called "Ford Parts". http://forums.modulardepot.com/ford-factory-parts/

Anyway, you can order the synchro TSB kit straight from him for about $650.

Before you panic, how long has it been since you changed the fluid? If never, most people suggest GM synchromesh and exactly 3.2 quarts no matter what the manual says. I'm going to try this on mine soon (just another good reason to buy a shifter!)

If mine breaks, I'm going to take it to Hodge Transmission in Connellsville. :thmbsup:

FrvrDreamin
05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
hmm ya the tranny blows.. i dont care how many people tell me its good.. first and reverse are occasionalyl tough, and now 2nd is junk lol..

i have never done anything with the tranny on this car.. i bought it from my cousin in august and it now has about 48,000miles, its a 2001

just seems wierd that it would be jacked up all of a sudden..

i dont know the first thing about transmissions honestly so whatever you guys say goes lol

Troll
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
looks like I gave some bad info. It's 3.2 Liters... not 3.2 Quarts. That would be about 3.5 Quarts. And, on this site it says GM syncromesh for the 3550 only. We have the 3650 and it says to use ATF / Dexron III

check it out: http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10740

It seems like you could research this topic forever. Many differing opinions and Tremec refers all questions to Ford who tells you to bring it to the dealer and hand them $1,200.

FrvrDreamin
05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Anyone ever hear of "Hosses Gear Shop" ?
my friend told me to try them...

Pure Stock
05-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah I heard of that shop. Their motto is "Take your automatic and stick it":biglaugh:

03 OW SVT
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
tremec 3650 right? there is a TSB out on them, but you still have to pay $900-$1200 for a dealer to fix it. Basically the synchros go out in 1st and 2nd gear. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I'm thinking you should take it to a reputable tranny shop and have them check it out. You can find a brand new TKO 500 for around $1,600.

Mine grinds going into 1st from any speed except 0mph. I just deal with it and stay in second or come to a complete stop. Most folks with 3650 problems experience exactly what you are... jumping out of and grinding into 2nd. Hell, there's about a 3,000 post sticky on Stangnet about it. Grab a case or two and read it. :laughing:

I've heard that Ford Dealers charge $900 for the kit and $200-$300 for the labor. There's a guy on Modular Depot and Stangnet... his name is Randy Stinchcomb or something and he works and a big dealer in Maryland. He has his own section on Modular Depot called "Ford Parts". http://forums.modulardepot.com/ford-factory-parts/

Anyway, you can order the synchro TSB kit straight from him for about $650.

Before you panic, how long has it been since you changed the fluid? If never, most people suggest GM synchromesh and exactly 3.2 quarts no matter what the manual says. I'm going to try this on mine soon (just another good reason to buy a shifter!)

If mine breaks, I'm going to take it to Hodge Transmission in Connellsville. :thmbsup:

Adam, I think the reason it grinds on you is because your putting it in gear (1St) before you come to a complete stop. It NEVER did that to me when I had it. Or the clutch is not competely ingaged when your shifting. Just some info for ya.:thumbsup:

FrvrDreamin
05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/508/alldatahe5.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alldatahe5.jpg) <<< Click this page to read about the T3650 TSB on 01-03 manual stangs

:goodidea:

Carbed89Lx
05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Anyone ever hear of "Hosses Gear Shop" ?
my friend told me to try them...
You can try Syners transmission in Fairchance. always been good to me.

Troll
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////

Domination
08-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Poping out of gear is never a good thing. At best it could be a shift fork misalignment. Most likely is the blocker ring and the gear back. Thats why is so freakin pricey. The syncro kit comes with gears, and blocker rings. Grinding going into a gear will be the syncro to doing its job. Poping out is the blocker ring not holding on the gear back.

Rodeheaver's
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
dude, get rid of the 3650, they suck in the long run, spend the money for a t56 or tko600, i have done a few mods to the 3650s and they are hard to work on and every hipo part has to be custom made according to liberty tranny...