PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a riding mower

PaxtonShelby
05-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Hi guys. My Father-in-law is turning 80 this month. He recently mentioned he wanted to get a small riding mower for cutting his grass, so I figured I’d try to find him one for his birthday. Let me know what you have and give me some specs and I will check it out. Thanks!!

blackfive-o
05-10-2018, 10:00 PM
He is gonna be 80 and still cuts his own grass and just now needs a riding lawnmower? God bless him!

mustang50lx
05-10-2018, 10:02 PM
I have a Craftsman Professional. It needs a battery. The tires go flat over a couple weeks. I am sure it could use some maintenance. I bought it new. I don't use it much anymore. $200.00

somethingclever
05-10-2018, 10:20 PM
I think that was a hint for you to volunteer Ron.

PaxtonShelby
05-11-2018, 06:34 AM
I think that was a hint for you to volunteer Ron.

Haha - he likes to keep active. He still umpires baseball and refs football. He’s in a lot better shape than most guys his age. His Dad was too and made it to 99, so I’m not about to ask him to change. :-)

PaxtonShelby
05-11-2018, 06:38 AM
I have a Craftsman Professional. It needs a battery. The tires go flat over a couple weeks. I am sure it could use some maintenance. I bought it new. I don't use it much anymore. $200.00

Thanks for the reply - can you give me the year / model / specs? Other than the battery and tires, does everything work as it should? Tires need tubes or replaced? How many forward speeds? Does it cut well? Where are you located? A few pics would help also. Thanks again!

mustang50lx
05-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the reply - can you give me the year / model / specs? Other than the battery and tires, does everything work as it should? Tires need tubes or replaced? How many forward speeds? Does it cut well? Where are you located? A few pics would help also. Thanks again!

I will try to get you more info this week. Just forward and reverse as far as speeds. I think the tires are tubeless. It is about 15 years old or so. I have to check the hours. It cuts grass, but I am sure the blades need sharpened or replaced. It does not mulch. That is the main reason I don't use it. It takes so long to rake grass up it is quicker to just cut it by hand. I had a bagger, but it clogged up all the time so I got rid of it. It hasn't been started in a year. I will try to get it running this week.

1320goat
05-15-2018, 03:05 PM
What are you looking to spend?

PaxtonShelby
05-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Hi all - my FIL is a little stubborn and bought a new Troy Built. Ugh! I tried to save him some $$$ but that’s how it goes.

gpfarrell
05-19-2018, 10:25 PM
That tractor will outrun his Studebaker!

Dan B.
05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Be a good son-in-law and cut his grass.......we know you aren't working on cars.

PaxtonShelby
05-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Be a good son-in-law and cut his grass.......we know you aren't working on cars.

Hell Dan - my grass needs cut twice a week. No time to do his too! But I might test the new tractor...to make sure the cup holder works.

And for the record...I am getting SOME work done in the garage. Just not fast enough.