PDA

View Full Version : Tach signal

Cam99
05-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Were can I pick it up at. Negitive side of the coil and if so which wire is it (if memory serves I seem to remember a yellow wire and a green wire) or if not there , where.

coralcoupe1993
05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Were can I pick it up at. Negitive side of the coil and if so which wire is it (if memory serves I seem to remember a yellow wire and a green wire) or if not there , where.

Yes, test the coil to see which wire.....but I thought that coupe had an MSD???? If that is the case there is a tack output the ole red box.

Viper_ed
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM
You can get it at one of those 2 wires Cam. I don't remember off hand which one it is, but it will be the only one that has a AC current, you know the stuff those furnaces & ac's you install use. :D

Cam99
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
You can get it at one of those 2 wires Cam. I don't remember off hand which one it is, but it will be the only one that has a AC current, you know the stuff those furnaces & ac's you install use. :D

DC current on the car :owned:

Viper_ed
05-18-2007, 08:42 AM
DC current on the car :owned:

Put your meter on it! Or better yet, grab it while the car is running and tell me if you still think it's DC. :laughing:

The tach signal wire on the car is the only wire that can actually shock you. It IS AC Current.

coralcoupe1993
05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
:cool1: :cool1: :kneel:

Stangman701
05-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Put your meter on it! Or better yet, grab it while the car is running and tell me if you still think it's DC. :laughing:

The tach signal wire on the car is the only wire that can actually shock you. It IS AC Current.

Not sure on the whole AC/DC thing, I would guess it's still DC though just with really high voltage. Ive been shocked by plug wires before too though. I was dumb and tried changing them around while the car was running and a couple of them shocked the shit outta me :duh:

Cam99
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM

I will check that out. I can't imagine why there would be a ton of amperage going through the feed wire of the coil, and it's only 12 V going in. It's the job of the coil to create the many thousands of volts that go through the plug wires. Interesting.

EDIT: AC/DC rocks!

Viper_ed
05-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Let's just say the 15+ years of Mobil Electronic Installations has been a good teacher on finding a tach signal. I'll never forget the 1st remote starter I put in and probing that wire and getting shocked by it! :wtf:

Oh yeah, I think Colin is drinking again on a Friday at work!

coralcoupe1993
05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Oh yeah, I think Colin is drinking again on a Friday at work!

:bike: :bike: :slaphappy:

Cam99
05-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Low and behold I did measure about 7 volts A/C current on the yellow coil wire. (and about 5 amps). Learn something new every day. Ed you is teh shiznit :goodidea:

wick
05-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Oh, its definatly AC voltage.

Viper_ed
05-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Low and behold I did measure about 7 volts A/C current on the yellow coil wire. (and about 5 amps). Learn something new every day. Ed you is teh shiznit :goodidea:

:twothumbsup: