PDA

View Full Version : erratic idle

streetracer
05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
i got a 95 gt with the 302 and every time i start it the idle will jump from 800 to 1200rpms and when im driving and it will stay at 2000rpms when i push the clucth. im wonderin if there is idle relearn procedure for the iac or im just lookin in the wrong area. its also running the check engine light and the code is "cant control rpms". i threw a iac at it and cleaned the throttle body it went away for about 20miles and it started being stupid again.

i have a few bolts on but the motor is completely stock. i hope someone can help me out, cuz i never had to take my car to dealership to have work done on it and dont wanna start now.

mods:373 gears
full mac exhaust
intake
pulleys
msd distributor
coil and wires
tri ax shifter
throttle body spacer
venom 400
aluminum driveshaft
king cobra clutch

Pure Stock
05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
-The IAC motor, Clean that with some carb cleaner to remove carbon build up

- The throttle body, clean T.B., and make sure the throttle blade is returning to idle position

- Base idle reset, have you attempted this?

- Set the TPS voltage, has this been verified?

- Cleaning the MAF wires, often overlooked.

streetracer
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
sorry but i have no clue how to do a base idle reset

streetracer
05-24-2007, 08:11 PM
aiite heres what i got..... i cleaned the maf wires, cleaned the throttle body again, checked the voltage to the tp sensor 4.46v from the the pcm or signal voltage. at throttle rest i have .36mv and at WOT i have 4.11v. it seems low but im not sure what the spec is. im also running a code for closed throttle voltage is higher or lower than expected.

i need sum major help!!

383taman
05-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I think you destroyed the tps when you claened the throttle body.

Knapper411
05-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Those voltages arent that far off what they should be. Hook up your voltmeter n with the car off key on slowly look at the throttle position voltage n see if it jumps anywhere during the travel of the throttle plate. Otherwise i got nothin.

wick
05-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Closed throttle you need to be .98 or .99 volt. As close as you can to 1 volt without going over. Thats the reason for the closed throttle voltage too low. Its too low.

wick
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
As far as the idle re-learn. From what I gather you need to disconnect the battery for 20-25 minutes. Make sure your tps voltage is at the required voltage. .99 .98 volt. Disconnect your IAC valve. Start the car. Get the idle to about 850-900. Shut the car down, re-connect the iac and re-start. Allow to run for 2 minutes. Shut down. Turn everything on, lights, wipers, heater on max, defrosters if equiped. Everything. Re-start the car and let run for two minutes. Shut down and your done.

Knapper411
05-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I have seen problems where just off idle the voltage can jump because of a fault in the tps thats where i was tryin to get at.

sweeney1030
05-28-2007, 12:03 AM
screw it tell everyone you cammed it and meant for it to do that. no really my 90 did that and it was just the IAC sensor out of wack , adjust it and you should be good to go.

streetracer
05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
i found my problem...... venom 400=junk

i unplugged the wire that runs from the venom to tps and the idle went to normal. so i checked wire for voltage and the venom is puttin out .91v to the tps which is really messin stuff up and im just glad i didnt screw up the computer.

thanks for the help