PDA

View Full Version : Throwout/Release Bearing noise?!?

RUTHLESS
06-28-2007, 07:57 PM
On the way home from work today I started hearing the dreaded squeeking/rattle noise so I guess I need to pull the tranny and get a new release bearing in the cobra. My question is what other items are recommended while I am under the car? I was on LeathPerformance's site and found a centerforce throwout/release bearing, Forged Steel TOB Retainer Sleeve and ( RAM's Deluxe Cable Kit with a firewall adjuster, firewall support, a quick release quadrant, and cable). Well that keep me happy for a while or are the TOB a hit or miss thing and the RAM kit will not help?

wick
06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Talk to ViperEd. That might not be the problem.

RUTHLESS
06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Not sure what else it could be. It makes noise like some one left the water running very slow and it makes that high pitch squeal noise when I am out of gear and off the clutch. If I touch the clutch pedal it stops. It did make the noise one time when the clutch was pushed in the whole way but as soon as I left it out it stopped.

On a side note my clutch is very noisy and I have no idea what the guy that owned it before me put in it. The clutch engages smooth and holds great but when you put it in neutral or some times when I am off the gas it sounds like it has metal balls hitting around and gears whining. Could that be weights on the clutch? The sounds come from the center vent area on the dash.

RUTHLESS
06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I stuck my head under the dash and man is it allot different under the COBRA dash than the camaro's. lol I see how the clutch self adjusts and I started playing around a bit. I pushed the adjuster up and let the clutch reset its self. The gear noise I am hearing is the tranny and the noise seems to be coming from the vents because that’s about the only place it can come from because every other place is sealed up good. I can also feel a bit of movement when I hold the shifter. After I reset the clutch by lifting up on the pedal a little the noise from the tranny was gone. But the clutch was not working correctly so I had to pull up on the clutch pedal more to correct the engagement but as soon as I took the car out of gear and let the clutch up the tranny noise came back. It is by no means loud so I guess they all act like this? I just can't see this being good for TOB.
I am still not sure if the TOB is going or not because I couldn't get it to make a peep when I was just messing with it.

wick
06-28-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure man. I know Ed was having a noise like this. He changed the TOB and it's still there.

Viper_ed
06-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Let me guess, it sounds like you have a pack of crickets riding shotgun? :irked:

Like wick said, I thought mine was a throw out bearing, but I changed it and it made NO difference at all! If you just simply rest your foot on the clutch cable, not even pressing down on the pedal, it goes away. I have ditched all the plastic self-adjusting crap and have the billet quadrant and firewall adjuster. I'm wondering if it's something with one of the fingers on the RAM pressure plate, but I haven't bothered with it since changing the TOB. Hopefully I will just end up selling the car and not have to hear it anymore.

RUTHLESS
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Sounds like I will just have to deal with the noise then.

Smallville
06-30-2007, 12:38 AM
I have a brand new SPEC setup in my car, maybe 150 miles on and it's "chirping" already. I asked a few friends, one works for Ford, and found an "internal TSB", the ones we outside techs aren't suppose to get. Basically says there is a known problem with the bearing retainer and the fix is to upgrade it to a steel one. Like you do to the old T5s. Something about how it wears and then misalligns the bearing. :dunno: I'll be pulling my T56 back out and doing this SOON, that sound is annoying, :yes:

fastfox91
06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
t-5s do the same thing and it is from the factory input retainer and from what u guys are saying it sounds like that is your problem put a steel retainer on it and it should fix your problem

JR302GT
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Mine made the same noise, even after replacing the bearing. I put a steel bearing retainer on and that was the end of the "crickets". LOL. That was 6 years ago.

RUTHLESS
07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I will just deal with the noise from time to time for now. If it gets louder I will pull it apart.