PDA

View Full Version : Question about using n20 on the heatexchanger

Cam99
08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I've seen some turbo guys hook up a halo to spray n20 through their intercooler and it got me thinking. I've got a nitrous system in this car, just not hooked into the air intake yet (not sprayed since motor rebuild) and I was wondering what effect it would have hooking it up to spray through the heat exchanger during WOT runs. Anybody done this?

Viper_ed
08-14-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.shopatron.com/index/300.0.9410.9716.0.0.0

Rodeheaver's
08-14-2007, 08:38 AM
I think it would be more effective in the intake pipe...

KBCobra
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Cam I've seen a few cobra guys try this a few years back, if I remember, that barely picked up any HP. Timmy built that motor right, i'd say put it in the intake (post maf) and give her hell. I wouldn't be afraid of even doing a 150 shot, that was my plan if I kept the car. Like I suggested though, I'd move the throttle switch to the throttle body. It would definitly need professionally tuned and also the fuel system upgraded for this to be done correctly. All said and done, no reason on earth this car shouldn't throw down a 9.99

somethingclever
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
IIRC Dan's car already has a WB02., right? If the current tune seems "on", why not take it to PRP to get some baseline runs? Then worry about the N20 later.

But to answer your question...you'll see nicer gains (at the track) by running ice-water through your H/E instead of spraying hot H/E coolant with nitrous. Plus...that'll get very expensive.

Balaska347
08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I have a co2 halo system on my T-type that spays the intercooler at WOT. I heard of people also using no2 but I don't think it was very beneficial.

Cam99
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Cam I've seen a few cobra guys try this a few years back, if I remember, that barely picked up any HP. Timmy built that motor right, i'd say put it in the intake (post maf) and give her hell. I wouldn't be afraid of even doing a 150 shot, that was my plan if I kept the car. Like I suggested though, I'd move the throttle switch to the throttle body. It would definitly need professionally tuned and also the fuel system upgraded for this to be done correctly. All said and done, no reason on earth this car shouldn't throw down a 9.99

I will probably just spray a small shot (75ish) and be satisfied...at least for now:hyper: . Will definately take your advice on moving the wot switch to the throttle body.

Cam99
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
IIRC Dan's car already has a WB02., right? If the current tune seems "on", why not take it to PRP to get some baseline runs? Then worry about the N20 later.

But to answer your question...you'll see nicer gains (at the track) by running ice-water through your H/E instead of spraying hot H/E coolant with nitrous. Plus...that'll get very expensive.

I'm raelly not planning on doing any nitrous (through the motor) till next year, just thought if there was some benifit to spraying the H/E I would do it since the kits already there. I'm trying to get to prp for somebaselines, but the weather has had other ideas

SVTGT
08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Turbo guys only use spray bars if its an air to air intercooler.air isnt the best way to transfer heat. same reason we dont use air cooled engines in cars anymore. the way it works is N20 is liquid in the bottle when you spray or purge it. the n20 boils and turns into a vapor when it boils it pulls the heat from the area. this cause the charged hot air in the intercooler to rapidly cool making the air denser. the reason most people with water to air intercoolers dont spray then is the fact that even if you spray at the heat exchanger your just cooling the water thats gonna go back to the intercooler which because of engine temps its usually a fairly steady temp. Water to air systems are the best way to fly, their are a very efficent way to intercool and with that systems better to just spray into the engine. 5hp by cooling the water for the intercooler or 75-150hp by spraying into the engine.

phillysrt4
08-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I've seen some turbo guys hook up a halo to spray n20 through their intercooler and it got me thinking.

*on

They spray it on the intercooler and take advantage of the expanding gas cooling the air to air charge cooler. People have also used tanks of carbon dioxide for the same effect since its cheaper.

But the consensus here is correct. Its really only effective on air to air intercoolers. You're better off hooking up the bottle for its intended purpose.