PDA

View Full Version : Engine managment

SVTGT
09-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Is anyone running a stand alone engine managment system. Big stuff 3, AEM, FAST, Electromotive, Accel DFI, MOTEC, or anythat i may mave missed. im thinking about running a standalone in my car its an 1988 GT with a 2003 Cobra Drivetrain. so if your using let me know how its working out for you and your preferences. thank

Killercanary
09-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm running an AEM right now on my '95. I'm fairly new to it but I absolutely LOVE it thus far. I'm headed out for a little but later when I get home I can tell you more about it.

SVTGT
09-01-2007, 07:17 PM
ok thanks alot. im intrested to hear about it

Viper_ed
09-01-2007, 11:45 PM
There's no reason to run a strand alone with the 03 Cobra Drivetrain. The factory electronics will work fine for you. I'd suggest just getting the Pro Racer Package from SCT and that should be all you'll ever need.

mlowry1260
09-02-2007, 01:52 AM
There's no reason to run a strand alone with the 03 Cobra Drivetrain. The factory electronics will work fine for you. I'd suggest just getting the Pro Racer Package from SCT and that should be all you'll ever need.

Ed,

can you do DATA-loggIng without a laptop with pro-racer? That's the biggest benefit I see to the aftermarket stuff. Also, there are NMRA racers spinning their motors fast enough to run out of computer on the modular motor ecu's now.

What are you looking to accomplish with the car?

I run a standalone AEM computer on a windsor dart block. I find it easier than working with the stock eec-iv ever was. I have no experience with the newer modular stuff.

I have heard good things about the FAST XFI & BS3. The MOTEC stuff is good but can be pricey. Well, none of these are low cost...

Stangman701
09-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Do you guys know if any of these systems let you tune for WOT in a closed loop control using a wideband O2?

Chris00GT
09-03-2007, 12:32 AM
After seeing most of them on mod motors, I'd go with Big Stuff 3!! Dave swapped over from Accel DFI to Big Stuff and has been very happy with it on his 96 cobra that he run in NMRA renegade.

SVTGT
09-03-2007, 09:19 AM
here the reason im looking to go to a stand alone is for easy. im doing the terminator swap and were working on wiring up the engine fuel system and gauges and everything else necassary. if for some reason this doesnt work out. i wanna go to a stand alone. one of my insturctors at school is a tuning expert and told me that if we get the cobra harness to work just to use the SCT. but he also said if i decide to go crazy with the engine to go to a stand alone money permitting.

mlowry1260
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Why do you want closed loop at WOT? You can do it but, I prefer to stay open loop at WOT like Ford did on the eec-iv. If you did go open loop you would need to limit the %-change to prevent possible engine damage if a sensor or hose fails. Open loop seems safer at WOT.

I saw the SGS Renegade car at NMRA in Columbus this weekend, nice car. The newer processors have internal logging built in & that alone would sway me towards the AEM universal, BS3 or FAST XFI.

The cobra/terminator harness would probably be your lowest cost alternative. If you decide to make crazy power though, a standalone system is superior & easier to tune.

billyNOTnice
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I run a PMS...