PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air intakes....

Grimmy73
09-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I've been kick around the idea of installing a cold air intake system. I damn near clicked the buy now on a K&N setup then I figured I'd be dumb not to ask on here what system I should look into before just buying a K&N because it's a K&N, or is K&N the answer? I know price can be a factor I'm looking to spend no more than 250$

Wolfpack Speed
09-17-2007, 02:23 AM
for the most part, k&n makes good intake kits for any vehicle. you can never go wrong with steeda and there are other company's such as JLT that make nice kits as well. what year mustang? you cant just slap an intake kit on a S197 which is why i ask. good luck either way!

laz2447
09-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Go for it and let us know how it works out!

I just put one on my 93 and love it. Im sure you will too.

Cam99
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with Mike. It seems the kits on 05+ that don't require a tuner don't really make a worthwhile difference, so if your going to get one get the cai and tuner bundle and you'll be happy with it.

Grimmy73
09-17-2007, 10:49 PM
So what your sorta saying is:

I'll get as much of a performance boost from just putting a K&N filter in the air box as I will from installing a K&N intake?

And if I'm going to go the intake route then I should go with one of the tuner/cai bundles?

The tuners I'm seeing aren't cheep $300ish and up. So the bundle packs are like 400$ ?

I'm only asking a lot of questions because I'm new to all of this. The last time I was doing a mod to my old truck it was taking the lid off of the air cleaner and flipping it upside down and calling it a WV super charger...

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming... :veryhappy:

BoneCrusher
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Most of my '05 and up buddies have done the tuner bundle because as Mike and Cam have said that is the right way to do it the first time around. The HP gains have been pretty well documented with the bundle plus you'll have the tuner for future mods. I know it's more money but the cheapest way to do it is do it right the first time, I had to learn that one the hard way with previous cars.

And I'm loving the WV supercharger man, that's funny as hell. Good luck if you need help I'd definitley go with Mike or one of our vendors on here. I'm a customer of Mike's and other than being ugly he's a good dude who does even better work.

Cam99
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm a customer of Mike's and other than being ugly he's a good dude who does even better work.

LMFAO

Steve-0
09-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Like everyone has said already, go with the tuner and intake package deal. The 05+ are rather finicky when given more air with no recalibration. The lowest priced package I could find was around $499. Steeda claims with a retune and their intake an additional 30rwhp and around there in torque. That setup would be $250 plus the tuner. Diablosport Predators and SCT X-cal 2's go for around $400 a piece and are the most popular. Hope this all helps.:goodidea:

SV1000s
09-18-2007, 08:32 AM
On another note, IF you don't want to drop a bunch of $$$$ on a tuner bundle, I believe that BBK, Granatelli, S&B, and WMS (Western MotorSports) DO NOT require tuners. All other cold air intakes require a custom tune (that includes a K&N panel filter). AEM also has an intake that doesn't require a tune however, on a bang for your buck standpoint you're better off with the WMS or S&B.

03 OW SVT
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
I've been kick around the idea of installing a cold air intake system. I damn near clicked the buy now on a K&N setup then I figured I'd be dumb not to ask on here what system I should look into before just buying a K&N because it's a K&N, or is K&N the answer? I know price can be a factor I'm looking to spend no more than 250$

See Terry at Street Lethol Performance he has his own version that he makes out of pvc pipe and paints it to match the color of the car. Thats what he did to mine and I get all kinds of compliments on it.