PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question??

mineralrob
12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
My clutch lately has been kinda strange. First off its seems to be engaging much higher on the pedal than before and the pedal seems to be softer. The clutch doesnt slip but it doesnt catch until when the pedals almost all the way out. It makes driving more difficult. I tried adjusting the clutch and i heard the clicks but theres no change. I adjusted it in the past and it made wonders as far as the shifting smoothness etc. So my question is, could my cable be streched,quadrant messed up etc?? I'm looking into buying a aftermarket quadrant,firewall adjuster and was wondering if that would fix the problem. Anyone had any tips,ideas. Thanks.

eDit; Oh yea its the stock clutch and the car only has 15,000 miles on it.

92306gt
12-23-2007, 06:31 PM
sounds like a streched cable to me

mineralrob
12-23-2007, 06:35 PM
What would u recommened? Another stock cable?? I heard the stock ones are much better compared to the aftermarket ones.

92306gt
12-23-2007, 07:07 PM
What would u recommened? Another stock cable?? I heard the stock ones are much better compared to the aftermarket ones.
im not sure about your bodystyle. someone else can probly answer that question. i stretched almost everyone in the foxes ive had and replaced them with the ones from laurel mountain.

INSANELY CRAZY
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
if the quadrants are the same on the newer cars like the older foxbody stangs, the stock quadrant can strip out, it will adj. still but everytime you push it back down it goes right back to spot it was it to begin with, making the clutch feel weird..

try an aftermarket setup

wick
12-23-2007, 07:42 PM
if the quadrants are the same on the newer cars like the older foxbody stangs, the stock quadrant can strip out, it will adj. still but everytime you push it back down it goes right back to spot it was it to begin with, making the clutch feel weird..

try an aftermarket setup

:goodidea: Get a cable and quadrant.

u1arunit
12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
sounds like a streched cable to me

A stretched cable will make it engage closer to the floor, not at the top.

try an aftermarket setup

Again, this will cause it to be hard to get into gear, shift, and will also engage closer to the floor.

:goodidea: Get a cable and quadrant.

I am all for this.

IMO you are probably looking at a new clutch soon.

mineralrob
12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Just to mention also the shifting,going into gears and everything else is fine. I would hate to think that the clutch is going out at 15k considering i baby the car but i'm sure a upgraded one will feel much better anyways. On the flip side of things though i would like to get as much life out of the stock clutch as possible

Also what are some good clutches to upgrade to? I've heard good things about the spec's.

wick
12-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I have seen clutches go in as little as 2000 miles. I have also seen them go as far as 200,000. Its all in the driving skills of the owner. Some just cant drive a stick and they ride the clutch all the way out.

u1arunit
12-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Hard to say since as the clutch wears the uptake engagement point gets towards to top. If it's not slipping then don't worry about it. It might last a long time that way.

fastfox91
12-23-2007, 11:35 PM
unless u plan on more major hp and tq mods then i would steer away from the spec's i have one in my gt and love it however the pedal effort is much greater and i have tried 4of them, 1-2-3-3+ and the pedal feel in all 4 felt much stiffer than say a king cobra which in my opinion is the best clutch if plan to stay with in the 325-350 hp range. just my 2cents, however an adjustable cable and a good quad are money well spent so if u put a clutch in it i would look into those as well

mineralrob
12-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Cool. Thanks for the input. I'm going to get a new oem cable and quadrant and go from there.

wick
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I would not waste the money on an oem quadrant. For as much as they fail, I would just get a good one from summit. Its cheaper too.

Martin0660
12-24-2007, 10:38 AM
unless u plan on more major hp and tq mods then i would steer away from the spec's i have one in my gt and love it

Same love / hate with Spec here. I am running one of their 3+'s in my Capri. Effectively, its the only thing available for my torque thats still drivable. Last winter there where four of us TF guys that bought the same clutch. Three of us are happy, one wont hold for nothing. Its been back to Spec twice now, both times the pressure on the pressure plate wasnt "right". They make a great clutch, what I really doubt is their quality control. Seems lots of stuff gets out the door that isnt to "spec" (pun intended).

So unless you need a Spec for power holding, I'm not sure I would go to them either.

Bob Myers

Sonic03snake
12-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I would go with a firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant. Im betting your cable is fine and your original quadrant is screwing up. Do those first before buying a clutch and cable, you will need them anyway.:goodidea:

mineralrob
12-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I would not waste the money on an oem quadrant. For as much as they fail, I would just get a good one from summit. Its cheaper too.

Yea i was going to get a aftermarket one and lou do you guys have this stuff down at the shop??aftermarket quadrant etc?? Thanks:yes:

Sonic03snake
12-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Yea i was going to get a aftermarket one and lou do you guys have this stuff down at the shop??aftermarket quadrant etc?? Thanks:yes:
We keep them there, give me a call on Wed and ill make sure there in stock.:goodidea:

yeahloh95
12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
mines been engaging at the top for a while now , i'm putting a quadrant in it ,as soon as i get it from lou.

mineralrob
12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
ok sounds good. :woot1:I appreciate all of the input.