PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 2V Supercharger Questions ???

Troll
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Cabin Fever has pushed me completely over the edge already.

I'm kicking around the idea of a s/c for my '01 GT. I like to do my own work. I think I gots the mechanical skills to handle a kenne bell or vortech kit. There are only two things holding me back.

1: the fuel pump? I don't think I can lower my fuel tank in my garage and I'm just not comfortable fooling around with my gas tank. Also, how does a KB boost-a-pump work? I see what it says on their website, but still don't understand exactly. Does that mean I can keep my stock pump and just install the BAP? Is there enough fuel? etc. please explain!

2: TEH TUNE. If you read KB website they are real adamant that their tune is spot on and you don't need to do anything else. I don't trust that for shit. I work full-time +10+ hours a week and I really don't have time to take a day and drive (on a 1/2 whack tune) to Big Shot or SGS or Modular Depot. So, what do I do about that?

So, other than these two issues, are the nuts and bolts really that complicated as long as I take my time and follow the instructions?

Thanks All.

J-rod
01-29-2008, 07:00 PM
im sure you dont want to hear this but oh well :balls1:

my advice is to upgrade the fuel pump. without the BAP. dropping the fuel tank isnt hard and can be done alone (but easier with help, just make sure you are low on fuel.)

if tuning is an issue i suggest buying a complete kit (includes proven dynotunes) from MPH in Georgia. check out www.modularpowerhouse.com (http://www.modularpowerhouse.com)

scott5
01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
you could ride down to either stropes or strobes cant remember for sure, get it on the dyno and get a mail ordered tune that is just for your car and i am pretty sure you plug it in and your good to go.. I will get all details i am pretty sure this is how my buddy did it with his 04 cobra.

Troll
01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
you could ride down to either stropes or strobes cant remember for sure, get it on the dyno and get a mail ordered tune that is just for your car and i am pretty sure you plug it in and your good to go.. I will get all details i am pretty sure this is how my buddy did it with his 04 cobra.

then, do I wait at Stropes until it comes in the mail, Scott? :biglaugh:
j/k Scott.

I was at Stropes before with my other car. I'll go s/c-less if that's the only place left on earth to go. The old man treated me like a 4ucking idiot. I might be a 4ucking idiot, but if you're a business owner, you need to keep your mouth shut. :slaphappy:

Troll
01-29-2008, 09:46 PM
that Mongoose kit is a nice kit. no intercooler/aftercooler scares me a little bit, but seems like other people on that forum got many miles out of the stock short block with Tim's tune.

I'll prolly chicken out and have a professional install the whole deal either way.

Notice in the mongoose kit, it says "focus fuel pump". I hope he means "SVT" focus fuel pump. :pinkthumb:

Jivepepper
01-30-2008, 12:24 AM
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Cabin Fever has pushed me completely over the edge already.

I'm kicking around the idea of a s/c for my '01 GT. I like to do my own work. I think I gots the mechanical skills to handle a kenne bell or vortech kit. There are only two things holding me back.

1: the fuel pump? I don't think I can lower my fuel tank in my garage and I'm just not comfortable fooling around with my gas tank. Also, how does a KB boost-a-pump work? I see what it says on their website, but still don't understand exactly. Does that mean I can keep my stock pump and just install the BAP? Is there enough fuel? etc. please explain!

2: TEH TUNE. If you read KB website they are real adamant that their tune is spot on and you don't need to do anything else. I don't trust that for shit. I work full-time +10+ hours a week and I really don't have time to take a day and drive (on a 1/2 whack tune) to Big Shot or SGS or Modular Depot. So, what do I do about that?

So, other than these two issues, are the nuts and bolts really that complicated as long as I take my time and follow the instructions?

Thanks All.

Dropping the tank is not as hard as it might seem I have a tiny garage. SGS could you sell you a tuner and give you a tune that would allow for you to drive there safely as long as you didn't get in it.

I pushed 10 psi with no Intercooler for couple years on the stock shortblock. Then sold to a friend who still uses it. I can also give you a link for a intercooler set up for 300 shipped.

This is how I would do it. But the mongoose kits are great and Tims mail order tunes are great but still mail order tunes.

This is the bare bones for something reliable

Vortech tuner kit from muscle motors. --2500
42lb injectors & Lightning Maf from ebay- 400
Tuner/tune from local tuner----------------500
SVT Focus pump from randy stinchcomb----90
Powerpipe from mph -----------------------200
Iat sensor from me I have an extra---------10
----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------3700 for a nice reliable dyno tuned set up.

I have been to Modular depot and SGS for tuning, and I prefer SGS.

somethingclever
01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
1: the fuel pump? I don't think I can lower my fuel tank in my garage and I'm just not comfortable fooling around with my gas tank. Also, how does a KB boost-a-pump work? I see what it says on their website, but still don't understand exactly. Does that mean I can keep my stock pump and just install the BAP? Is there enough fuel? etc. please explain!.

The best would be to upgrade to 03/04 cobra tank (baffled) and pumps. If you want a cheaper alternative that will get you by, do twin focus pumps in your tank (unbaffled)(good to about 475rwhp IIRC). If you do 1 focus pump you're only good to approx. 400rwhp. One focus pump and one BAP is good to roughly 450rwhp. (FP duty cycle will be approx 90%) BAP's turn the FP faster to move more fuel. Instead of sending 12v to the pump it sends 16v IIRC. Because you're moving more fuel the pump doesn't have to spin as often so the duty cycle goes down.

I would only get a custom tune if it were my car. To try and save $400 on a $4k blower setup and $3k shortblock is ridiculous. The risk isn't worth the reward. Basically, if you don't trust mail order tunes and if you don't have the time to take a day to get a custom tune...you're SOL.

I would get setup with an Xcal 2 from Dave Guy @ SGS and have him put a baseline tune on it for your trip out there. Just stay out of the boost and you'll be fine.

02pnygt
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I would definatley recommend upgrading the fuel pump itself rather just going boost-a-pump. I was in your same situation about 5 yrs ago when I first did the vortec install on my 02 gt. At that time I wasn’t really sure what I was getting myself into. I pretty much took one long weekend to do the complete install. I did it in my garage with a floor jack and stands. Dropping the tank really wasn’t all that bad, but it is easier with a helper. I had used the vortec mongoose kit from Modular Powerhouse. Their kits are complete and the tunes are excellent. Like Jared mentioned in a earlier post, I would also highly recommend going with a mongoose from MPH. They are available with the vortec or kb and you can get with or without the intercooler. My first kit was without but I later had the intercooler added. I know it’s a hard decision to decide what to go with. After owning both the vortec and kb I would recommend the kb. There is nothing wrong with either choice, but I found that since I don’t really go to the track and mostly just drive the car on the street, that the kb low end torque is a lot more fun than the high rpm boost of the vortec. I was impressed with my vortec until I had the kb. Now granted, when I went with the kb I also added a built motor, heads, and cams so it was a big jump in power, but I have always thought since doing all of this that I would have wished I would have came across the kb first. Again, this is just my opinion. I have nothing bad to say about the vortec. Had I kept it and not changed to the kb I probably wouldn’t see it the same.

Troll
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
I had used the vortec mongoose kit from Modular Powerhouse. Their kits are complete and the tunes are excellent.
thanks for all the ideas, peeps. I'm really leaning towards the Mongoose kit right now. that basic kit with no intercooler. I do like the low-end torque associated with the KB, but I really really really would rather deal with a built shortblock way later than way sooner (if ever). I know I'll be just like every other nutjob on here and think I'll be happy with 350-375RWHP at 9PSI, but I'm going to try that first and we'll go from there. :twothumbsup:

Jivepepper
01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Why pay extra for tims kit when you can piece a kit together that has the same parts and get a dyno tune while you save 300-500?

No matter how good his canned tune is, I would still have it dyno tune which now puts his kit in the 4200 range. Also if he went to SGS his tuner would be 4 times closer. Because later you might want to mod some more or add some boost.

J-rod
01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Why pay extra for tims kit when you can piece a kit together that has the same parts and get a dyno tune while you save 300-500?

No matter how good his canned tune is, I would still have it dyno tune which now puts his kit in the 4200 range. Also if he went to SGS his tuner would be 4 times closer. Because later you might want to mod some more or add some boost.

jive, right now troll doesnt have time or w/e to travel for a dynotune, therefore Tims mongoose kit seems to be right up trolls alley. he may pay a little more then piecing it together, but he is recieveing a tried and tested proven system, complete, nothing left to worry about.

02pnygt
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
jive, right now troll doesnt have time or w/e to travel for a dynotune, therefore Tims mongoose kit seems to be right up trolls alley. he may pay a little more then piecing it together, but he is recieveing a tried and tested proven system, complete, nothing left to worry about.

I have to agree. I was a newbee with this stuff when I bought my mongoose vortec setup in 03. It was great getting everything together in a kit and knowing I had what I needed. Plus I received great service and help over the phone with MPH with all my questions. Tims tune is technically a "canned" being it is mail order, but remember, he is sending the same tune that was developed by dyno tuning hundreds of cars with the same setup. I would still get it dynoed to check a/f but it will probably be damn close to being spot on. I know when we did mine the shop was surprised to see how good the a/f was with out it being dyno tuned.

I know there are other shops that will do the samething for ya, but I can speak from experience with my dealing with Tim and the crew at MPH. It does, however, suck that they are in GA. I wish I could just hop in the car and drive to the shop if I wanted to check something out.

Troll
01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I would still get it dynoed to check a/f but it will probably be damn close to being spot on. I know when we did mine the shop was surprised to see how good the a/f was with out it being dyno tuned.

what was that a/f ? I've seen on some other forums that folks got 11.1-11.5 with his "safe" tune. After they got it dyno-tuned to around 12.0 it picked up a little more power.

Jared, you are correct, but I'll probably end up at SGS anyway.

Jivepepper
01-31-2008, 07:12 PM

It utilizes the exact same parts as I listed nothing different.

Even with Tims tune at least you need to have some way to confirm the air fuel ratio's. So since you need to go to a dyno anyway. Why not buy it from some one who will not charge a reburn fee if somethings wrong. Tim will send you new tunes through emails, which is nice. Now no more waiting while chips are mailed back and forth.

I have to agree. I was a newbee with this stuff when I bought my mongoose vortec setup in 03. It was great getting everything together in a kit and knowing I had what I needed. Plus I received great service and help over the phone with MPH with all my questions. Tims tune is technically a "canned" being it is mail order, but remember, he is sending the same tune that was developed by dyno tuning hundreds of cars with the same setup. I would still get it dynoed to check a/f but it will probably be damn close to being spot on. I know when we did mine the shop was surprised to see how good the a/f was with out it being dyno tuned.

I know there are other shops that will do the samething for ya, but I can speak from experience with my dealing with Tim and the crew at MPH. It does, however, suck that they are in GA. I wish I could just hop in the car and drive to the shop if I wanted to check something out.

Vortech also has great support on and off line.

Tim's tunes are great and as long as all the varibles are the same, and all things equal then they work great while making power. Which is 98% of the time.

If I was going to buy a complete kit, it would be the mongoose, because it saves time and some headaches. But when you have limited resourses like I, then a few hundred bucks is worth a little extra leg work.

I'm sure he will be happy with whatever choice he makes.:goodidea:

Troll
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Thinking about this tune is really starting to put me over the deep end. No matter what I'd end up with I know I would go somewhere to check the a/f, get it dyno-tuned and I'd want to know the numbers. I'm an anal freak like that.

There's really no logical reason that we can't take our Mustangs somewhere in Pittsburgh / southwestern PA and have a s/c installed and dyno-tuned all at once.

I might have to wait on this with my limited play time and analytical nature. :sticktonge:

02pnygt
01-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Thinking about this tune is really starting to put me over the deep end. No matter what I'd end up with I know I would go somewhere to check the a/f, get it dyno-tuned and I'd want to know the numbers. I'm an anal freak like that.

There's really no logical reason that we can't take our Mustangs somewhere in Pittsburgh / southwestern PA and have a s/c installed and dyno-tuned all at once.

I might have to wait on this with my limited play time and analytical nature. :sticktonge:

I'm not sure what places are closer to your area and don't want to step on anyones feet. I know of Big Shot Dyno in Hudson OH and have also heard good about Powerhouse in Girard, PA. There are a couple shops on the board that i'm sure could help you out also.

Troll
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure what places are closer to your area and don't want to step on anyones feet. I know of Big Shot Dyno in Hudson OH and have also heard good about Powerhouse in Girard, PA. There are a couple shops on the board that i'm sure could help you out also.

Powerhouse is 3 hours for me. Big Shot is about 3 hours and SGS is about 3 hours. I'm in Fayette County. It's just not in my nature (or worth it to me) to drive 6 hours one day there and back with somebody else to pick me up and do the same thing 1-2 weeks later??? :rolleyes:

edit: and before we go any further, I'm not freaking loaded either so trailering/shipping it there is out of the equation, too.

fastfox91
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
well then your best bet is just to leave it alone cause from the sound of things u arent gonna like working on it all the time either and to be honest once u start doing things to them that wasnt already their, it always ends up something else that needs done

J-rod
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
well then your best bet is just to leave it alone cause from the sound of things u arent gonna like working on it all the time either and to be honest once u start doing things to them that wasnt already their, it always ends up something else that needs done

pandora's box. LOL

if it were me, and i wanted some "safe fun" id buy tim's mogoose kit....run it for a while until i had time/resources to go to a dyno.....hell troll wolfpack might get a dyno soon or even rodeheaver. :goodidea:

02pnygt
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM

ain't that the truth. once you start modding the car the spending never stops. It's either fixing something else that got messed up or finding something else to modify.

02pnygt
01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Powerhouse is 3 hours for me. Big Shot is about 3 hours and SGS is about 3 hours. I'm in Fayette County. It's just not in my nature (or worth it to me) to drive 6 hours one day there and back with somebody else to pick me up and do the same thing 1-2 weeks later??? :rolleyes:

edit: and before we go any further, I'm not freaking loaded either so trailering/shipping it there is out of the equation, too.

another option would be calling some of the shops and seeing if you can get the car in for a one day turn around. I would think that an experienced shop may be able to get scheduled in to bring the car in early and possibly get it turned around in a day. Don't hold me to it, but it seems to me i have heard of mph doing this for customers. too bad they are more than 3 hrs away.

Wolfpack Speed
02-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Don't beat your self up over this! First thing you need to do is pick your poison. If you really want a kb then thats what you need to get. While some power adders may be a little harder on the motor then others, you really have no business installing any of them on a stock short block if your not willing pay the ultimate price.

Next, if your not doing the install your self then you need to go to who you think is most qualified and you are most comfortable with regardless of location or cost. If that shop doesn't offer tuning to your satisfaction then you need to get a base tune from your preferred tuner and ultimately take the car to them.

Lastly and what seems to be the foundation of all your decisions is, money. While everything ultimately revolves around your funds, you have to be practical and realistic with your options. If you cant afford to do things right the first time, if you can afford to make and fix mistakes...then you need to reconsider your plans. I deal with this all the time and no matter how brutally honest i am with my customers, many choose to go down the wrong road. Sometimes this cost me business and sometimes this is good for me, I love getting paid to do a job twice:twothumbsup:

One Sweet Day
02-01-2008, 12:57 AM

I'm on the ohio board quite a bit and they all remember our guys that go to Big Shot for dyno days. They have great things to say about us and I'm sure they would take care of you!:goodidea: Of course this doesn't matter till you decide what your doing...:rolleyes:

Jivepepper
02-01-2008, 03:13 AM

What area do you live in? I drive about 3 hours to SGS.

Troll
02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm going back to my n/a plan. :yes:

Troll
12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
hell troll wolfpack might get a dyno soon
:pianodance:

no1sirbutler
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Troll I have a KB on my car and installed it myself. If you have any questions pm me.

LaserPony
12-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Look at the new 5.0 Mag. They have a good article about a S/C in there you might like.

wishIhada5.0
12-30-2008, 01:16 AM
I was looking in the new 5.0 mag about that tork tech kit...its a really nice kit but the KB 2.1L intercooled will cost less and make more power in the long run...no1sirbutler, how do you like your KB?

no1sirbutler
12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I love my kit. Very nice having full torque at 2000 rpms. Its a very complete kit w/ nice instructions. Plus there is nothing like a Kenne Bell whine.

wishIhada5.0
01-02-2009, 01:39 AM
How does KB handle tuning? Do they send you a chip with a fairly safe tune on it? also, did you use the boost-a-pump or did you opt for the svt focus pump?

Jivepepper
01-02-2009, 03:04 AM
I would always dyno tune. What if you had a faulty fuel pump?

wishIhada5.0
01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Thats what Im thinkin about the pump too. It seems much more reliable to me to buy a pump that is made to push the needed fuel rather than push something further than it was made to IMHO

no1sirbutler
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
They send a chip but i never used it. I had mine dyno tuned after the install. I also went w/ 03-04 cobra tank and pumps. Its a very good upgrade esp when you want to make more power. That way your covered w/ fuel and can always add the BAP

Inkdcountryboy
01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
how much was the tank an pumps?

wishIhada5.0
01-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Im probably gonna end up using the chip for a little while if I go this route. Do you think I can get away with an SVT Focus pump for the time being? Like inkdcountryboy said, how much do you have wrapped up in the tank and pumps if you dont mind tellin us. Where is the nearest place to latrobe to get a good quality dyno tune?

boost_92
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you tried talkin to dennis at hybridynamics? He is pretty good at tuning all types of cars. Just my 2 cents! Ill be in the same shoes soon I hope!

no1sirbutler
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I got a deal on my pumps and only paid $400 for tank and pumps shipped. If you look you can find them around that price. Look on www.SVTPerformance.com (http://www.SVTPerformance.com) there is always wrecked cobras being parted out on there.

wishIhada5.0
01-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Thats a pretty good deal :) is yours an automatic or a stick?

no1sirbutler
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
5spd but soon to be 6spd