PDA

View Full Version : BAD backfire HELP!!!

delldoe
02-03-2008, 04:53 PM
So hears the deal, pulled out onto the highway and smashed it 1st through 3rd and right as I let the clutch out into 3rd my car (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101454#) started backfiring real loud. "sounded like a shotgun going off" turned the car off and coasted off the road. Now it won't even start and is backfiring through the intake exhaust. got a po340 code which is for the camshaft position sensor. Put in a new one, still won't run. changed out the crankshaft position sensor and have same results. Has anyone had this happen to them??? let me know what you think

2001GTTT
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM
all your spark plugs in tight?

INSANELY CRAZY
02-03-2008, 05:52 PM
timing?

billyNOTnice
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
anybody in here who knows modulars, this is for you. It's a 2004 Roush with a 5.4L backfiring through the intake, and exhuast, won't start, but will crank and backfire sometimes. Replaced both cam and crank sensors to check those, made no difference. Plugs pretty much fouled out during the breaking down period he listed above due to whatever the problem is. Fuel pump is working, The engine definately appears to be out of time. a compression check was done, and everything was consistant. We checked the trigger wheel on the cam and crank and they are in tact.... anyone with any idea please let us know. I'm pretty sure the timing on the car has been verified now that it didn't skip a tooth. I have heard something about alternators shitting the bed and causing code P0340, but those were in cases where the car still ran and drove, just was throwing a code, never this dramatic. We're kind of chasing our tail here, but could use help from some experience modular guys since i'm not real familar with them.

delldoe
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
thank you for explaining in further detail what my dumbass brother was trying to say :awsome: *wait till he sees this lol* ahh it'll be alright i'll just haft to blow his doors off in the spring

fastfox91
02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
lol so did he get it back together yet

StreetLethal
02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Is it something that has been running fine for awhile and then just all the sudden this happened or did this happen on the first time out?

delldoe
02-07-2008, 06:13 AM
he has been running it for a while, no its not back together yet turns out the crankshaft trigger wheel was cracked and then broke he's leaving on sunday to head back out to cali and i think he's waiting to see if the guy that built it has one or something who knows what he wants to do

StreetLethal
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Tell him that MMR makes a billet replacement trigger wheel i think the part number is 410005 but have him make sure.

fastfox91
02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
streetlethal i was gonna have him give u a call about this the other day before we found that the trigger wheel was broken. on a modular how can u tell if everything is still in time. is there some way that the marks should line up on the cam gears and the crank shaft gear any info would be great, around this way we all have push rod motors so this is new to us lol.