PDA

View Full Version : 6 Point bar suggestions

Martin0660
10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
I am starting to plan my winter upgrades (84 Capri RS turbo). On my list is a 6point bar, although I'm still not commited to it ;). Anyone have any suggestions on a vendor for a pre-made kit? Key issues for me are a tight fit, and swing out door bars that work well. I have been considering the Maximum Motorsports kit (NHRA legal), but am unsire how their swing outs work, and may not be fond of the rear down bars goinf through the quarter trim to the wheels wells. How about anyone local that makes a nice cage? Price ranges?Thoughts and sugestions are appreciated.

Bob Myers

yeahloh95
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
look at autoweld.com they are in pa and have some nice roll bar kits:awsome:

mikeymustang
10-31-2006, 07:30 PM
The Maximum Motorsports Bolt in is nice...but shipping it will cost an extra 100 bucks...or you can do what I did ..I bought a cheap Compition Engineering 8 point for less than 175.00 from LMM and make it a bolt in like I did... 90 % of the welding can be done out of the car and then you can paint it and install it.....i think I still have the plastic "MOCK-UP" bars I made to get the angles and lenghts correct

Mike

yeahloh95
10-31-2006, 08:07 PM
I didn't know lou could get those ? i think i am only going with harness bars in both of my cars or maybe just 4 points

Twin01cobra
10-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Does this mean you plan on getting that little beast under 11.5:goodidea: . I also am probably going to get a 6 point roll bar and have been looking at either the competition enginering or the wolfe racecraft.

Martin0660
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Does this mean you plan on getting that little beast under 11.5:goodidea: .

See my "not commited" coment. I figure "whats in the works" should get it close, but by the time I add the weight of the bar, it will be slow enough again that I wont need it any more :rolleyes: I might also be partially a wussy, or getting old, I had a few hairy moments this year :eek:

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm still shopping.

Bob Myers

Twin01cobra
10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
See my "not commited" coment. I figure "whats in the works" should get it close, but by the time I add the weight of the bar, it will be slow enough again that I wont need it any more :rolleyes: I might also be partially a wussy, or getting old, I had a few hairy moments this year :eek:

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm still shopping.

Bob Myers

I think it's the getting old thing Bob, going through it myself;)

yeahloh95
10-31-2006, 10:57 PM
it also helps in these cars mikes car went faster with a cage

gmkillr
10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Check out Rodeheaver's, he's doing some specials on cages for the winter.
They do great work!:awsome:

SonofaBish
11-01-2006, 08:14 AM
If you want custom work, i suggest Domination Chassis. Username on here is Domination. Have seen countless examples of Jay's work, and its all spectacular

u1arunit
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Check out Rodeheaver's, he's doing some specials on cages for the winter.
They do great work!:awsome:

Are they local? How much you think to weld in a 6 point bar? Can they do chromoly tubing?

fork5o
11-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Are they local? How much you think to weld in a 6 point bar? Can they do chromoly tubing?

hey ya go mark http://www.rodeheavershotrod.com/

gmkillr
11-01-2006, 06:53 PM

He's out by Masontown, give him a call ,he's a great guy to talk to.

bgblockelcamino
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
i am not sure about competition engineering on there fit. But i have been dealing with S&W racecars for prebent cages. I have done mainly chromo cages because i can't see adding unnecessary weight. and for me it is easier to TIG than MIG the cages in. I like hte finish of a TIG. on average 8 point steel is 120 lbs where the chromo is 80 lbs!! so there is significant weight savings.
as for swingouts i would use the SW racecars, the ones from competition engineering i am not too big of a fan of. For the money they are crap.

Prob in the future i will be making hte purchase of a bender but will have to see what the demand for cages will be this winter.

Martin0660
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
I like the S&W stuff, but it adds up pretty quick to go with their swingouts and "pro street" down tubes. How are their swing outs configured? I dont like the ones that use a detent pin through the bar.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Bob Myers

mlowry1260
11-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Have you seen these? Very nice although they still use a pin.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/images/7031id.jpg

http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_catalogs.html

mlowry1260
11-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Did you mean these guys?

http://autoweldchassis.com/index2.ivnu

SonofaBish
11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
i am not sure about competition engineering on there fit. But i have been dealing with S&W racecars for prebent cages. I have done mainly chromo cages because i can't see adding unnecessary weight. and for me it is easier to TIG than MIG the cages in. I like hte finish of a TIG. on average 8 point steel is 120 lbs where the chromo is 80 lbs!! so there is significant weight savings.
as for swingouts i would use the SW racecars, the ones from competition engineering i am not too big of a fan of. For the money they are crap.

Prob in the future i will be making hte purchase of a bender but will have to see what the demand for cages will be this winter.

have seen Jeff's work - it is great as well!
sorry I forgot to mention ya Jeff!

yeahloh95
11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Did you mean these guys?

http://autoweldchassis.com/index2.ivnu

yeah those guys :goodidea:

Viper_ed
11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on a vendor for a pre-made kit? Key issues for me are a tight fit, and swing out door bars that work well. How about anyone local that makes a nice cage?

These guys make some nice pre-made kits:

http://www.swracecars.com/

Also Tim at Rodeheaver's (http://www.rodeheavershotrod.com/) does great work and there is a guy that lives next to my Dad in Belle Vernon that builds stock-cars that could build you a cage if interested.

Killercanary
11-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Mark, do you have any pics of Bob Conlan's spring loaded swing out bars from SSOTN? I don't know where he got them but they are the coolest swing out setup I have ever seen.

The BEST roll bar I ever saw was the one Mike has in his yellow '03 from rigid race cars. The welds were the best I have ever seen.

My dad has a S&W mild steel bar in his '91. Its OK and I'm sure it'd do its job if it ever had to, but I've seen nicer kits. Lou's wolf racecraft bar is nice.

Rodeheaver's
11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I have installed about every roll bar kit on the market and they all fit pretty well, but i usually just buy the hoops from S&W and make the rest...

Killercanary
11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Does anyone local do chrome moly and custom bends? Also, Chrome moly has to be tigged to be legal, can MS also be done this way for a nicer looking weld? I have a specific way I want my bar to be installed and I need someone that can do chrome moly, custom bends (not all of the tubes will be straight), and tig it so it looks as good as it functions. Looks are as high on my list as function since its a 'vert and everyone will see it.

Wasn't there someone local running a $75/point special on here? i thought I saw it somewhere but its no where to be found now.

gmkillr
11-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Does anyone local do chrome moly and custom bends? Also, Chrome moly has to be tigged to be legal, can MS also be done this way for a nicer looking weld? I have a specific way I want my bar to be installed and I need someone that can do chrome moly, custom bends (not all of the tubes will be straight), and tig it so it looks as good as it functions. Looks are as high on my list as function since its a 'vert and everyone will see it.

Wasn't there someone local running a $75/point special on here? i thought I saw it somewhere but its no where to be found now.

Right above your post Paul, Rodeheaver's:goodidea:
Check him out.

Rodeheaver's
11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
the circled section in the pic is a beautiful weld but looks crazy because of the light, i can assure you it looks great in person

Rodeheaver's
11-16-2006, 11:59 PM
here are a couple other pics

Domination
12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
HAHA, now I can plug too!

Go to Domination Chassis!
www.dominationchassis.com (http://www.dominationchassis.com)

every cage is custom bent. We do chromoly.

blkp42e
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Domination or rodahavers.

keep the money in the community!

Viper_ed
12-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Domination or rodahavers.

keep the money in the community!

X2!!! :awsome:

yeahloh95
12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
do you guys think you could make a harness bar ? i would like it to tie into the seat belt mounts and allow me to run 5 points. thanks for any info:awsome:

mlowry1260
12-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Mark, do you have any pics of Bob Conlan's spring loaded swing out bars from SSOTN? I don't know where he got them but they are the coolest swing out setup I have ever seen.

The BEST roll bar I ever saw was the one Mike has in his yellow '03 from rigid race cars. The welds were the best I have ever seen.

My dad has a S&W mild steel bar in his '91. Its OK and I'm sure it'd do its job if it ever had to, but I've seen nicer kits. Lou's wolf racecraft bar is nice.

Paul,

I met with Kurt of K-Tec (Ruffsdale, PA) on saturday & asked about the spring loaded swing-outs. He said NHRA will no longer certify them.

N8Miller
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM

after checking out their website, i think that im gonna go with them.

Killercanary
12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Paul,

I met with Kurt of K-Tec (Ruffsdale, PA) on saturday & asked about the spring loaded swing-outs. He said NHRA will no longer certify them.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up Mark!