PDA

View Full Version : Drag Strips

MellowYellow03
11-12-2006, 11:17 AM
besides PRP, what other dragstrips are there in the area?

wick
11-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Unfortunatly, none that I can think of. Couple buddies and I are trying to find a way to construct one. Finding the land is not easy though. It would be for private use only pretty much. No bullshit like you run into at PRP. Too much going on there to get runs in. They need to seperate the classes into a couple days. Make it open for more than one TNT per week. Say street cars one night, slick cars the next and bikes and junioes the next. It would generate more business for them and make everybody happy. After a run, you have about an hour to an hour and a half before your next run. Thats just plain bullshit.

Killercanary
11-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Quaker City in Salem OH
Beaver Springs near Lewistown PA
Norwalk Raceway in Norwalk OH
Mason Dixon in Hagerstown, MD
Thompson Dragway (somewhere near Erie but I have no idea where exactly)
Maple Grove near Reading PA
Cecil County Dragway in Cecil County MD
National Trails Raceway in Columbus OH

I think there is still an 1/8th mile strip called freindship raceway in Ohio

These are all the ones that are within 5hrs or so of Pittsburgh.

Here's a good site for locating tracks in different areas, it also list their elevation. It doesn't break down what type of track they are (circle, drag, etc) but you can usually figure it out by their descriptions.

http://www.whowon.com/Tracks.asp

stanggrrl
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Paul

Friendship Park is/was located in Smithfield (Richmond?) OH, or "just west" of Steubenville/Wintersville OH. I heard it was closed due to insurance issues and I also heard there were some other community/township issues. It is/was an 1/8 mile track. When they had a web page, they seemed eager to reopen, but I'm guessing that things didn't work out.

Would be a long way to go for 1/8 mile runs. :o

stanggrrl
11-12-2006, 07:00 PM
... Couple buddies and I are trying to find a way to construct one. Finding the land is not easy though...

The irony to this is, if you wanted to put up a shopping mall, finding the land would be EZ. And I hear they're going to put in another mall/shopping center off of Ridge Road between Carnegie and Robinson? Why? We have too many shopping areas with the same sh1tty stores.

If only you could snag some old/unused runway from the old airport...

wick
11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
The irony to this is, if you wanted to put up a shopping mall, finding the land would be EZ. And I hear they're going to put in another mall/shopping center off of Ridge Road between Carnegie and Robinson? Why? We have too many shopping areas with the same sh1tty stores.

If only you could snag some old/unused runway from the old airport...

Well put. Thats the exact problem. Too easy to put up a mall and there are way too many of them now. Yes, they are putting up another traffic jam, I mean mall right there.

stanggrrl
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Here's a good site for locating tracks in different areas, it also list their elevation. It doesn't break down what type of track they are (circle, drag, etc) but you can usually figure it out by their descriptions.

http://www.whowon.com/Tracks.asp
I've been compiling track elevation info - most track web pages have their elevation posted somewhere on their web page. The trick is finding all of the weather info you need on one page so you can quickly and easily use the NHRA altitude correction. Haven't found it yet... Maybe I should put this in the Winter Project thread. :p

burntire
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Come to Firebird Raceway or Speedworld in PHX.
It is race season.
Just a few days to drive here.