PDA

View Full Version : stock supercharger

travj31
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
What is everyone's opinion on the best supercharger for a bone stock manual 04 GT?

Not counting the cost of the supercharger, how much would instalation usually run on a project like this?

Rodeheaver's
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
install price could easily vary.. do you want to go twin screw or centrifigal, and are you looking to tune it for max power output when installed, or do you want to just put it on with the basic tune most charger kits come with? roots style chargers are awesome for the street but have drawbacks, I love to drive twin screw cars on the street because of the instant boost.. IMO

travj31
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Tim, whatever I would go with would be a basic tune-I wouldn't want to lose driveability. What is the best roots system out there for an 04 in your opinion and what do you see as the drawbacks? What other modifications are needed to do something like this too?

Rodeheaver's
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I am not sure what the best roots is , i guess maybe the kennybell, the drawbacks are mainly the heat and belt slippage but the belt issues are there for both types of blowers... the heat thing becomes an issue when heat sink has set in on the engine and the blower is not making useable boost, or just hot air... I hope i am explaining that right.. Its easy for me to think about it but not explain it..

SV1000s
04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I am not sure what the best roots is , i guess maybe the kennybell, the drawbacks are mainly the heat and belt slippage but the belt issues are there for both types of blowers... the heat thing becomes an issue when heat sink has set in on the engine and the blower is not making useable boost, or just hot air... I hope i am explaining that right.. Its easy for me to think about it but not explain it..

Intercooler! :woot1:

Troll
04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
this is what you need: http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm

I asked a few questions in this thread a while back. The folks here have some real good advice: http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7394

Mike from Wolfpack says it right though: S/C on a stock bottom end is just a matter of "when" rather than "if". Some people can run 9-10psi for many thousand miles with no problems, but I know I would be the guy to blow it up with 350rwhp. :o

Don't let me talk you out of anything. I still think about occassionally. Good luck and have fun with it. :awsome:

Jcelli04
04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
im not aware of anyone making a roots style supercharger for modular cars.

Kenne Bell makes a twin screw which is very similar but more efficient. these twin screw blowers make a ton of low end torque and dont fall off at the top the way roots blowers do. These blowers are usually at least $1000 more than centri blowers and create more heat. These blowers are usually better street blowers.

Centri- Blowers are turbo looking blowers that sit in front of the motors unlike the twin screw that sit on top of the motors. These blowers progressively build boost as you increase rpms. these blowers are known to be a little better on the track because there easier to launch. There also cheaper. The best bet for these is to check out Modular Powerhouse's "mongoose kit" it has everything you need. you dont really need a intercooler for these because they dont create as much heat as the screw type, at least until you get to higher power levels.

I personally have a KB 1.7 liter blower and i love it. wouldnt trade it for the world

350 ft.lbs of torque at 3000rpm. thats what i call fun !!!

Jcelli04
04-14-2008, 09:59 PM
also whipple does not make a screw for our 2v mustangs so there goes that option.

some centri options are

Vortech v2sq ( this is the blower MPH uses in the "mongoose kit"
Vortech t-trim
Paxton Novi 2000
Procharger P1sc
Procharger Disc

i would suggest against procharger i've heard horror stories about them.

no1sirbutler
04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
i have the Kenny Bell 2.1 intercooled kit on my car and love it more and more everyday I drive it. 6lbs of boost and I have 350whp and 362 ft/lbs rwtq. Its a complete blast on the street and do not regret buyin it.

travj31
04-15-2008, 08:01 AM
thanks for the input... just kickin ideas around in my head right now

Rodeheaver's
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
im not aware of anyone making a roots style supercharger for modular cars.

Kenne Bell makes a twin screw which is very similar but more efficient. these twin screw blowers make a ton of low end torque and dont fall off at the top the way roots blowers do. These blowers are usually at least $1000 more than centri blowers and create more heat. These blowers are usually better street blowers.

Centri- Blowers are turbo looking blowers that sit in front of the motors unlike the twin screw that sit on top of the motors. These blowers progressively build boost as you increase rpms. these blowers are known to be a little better on the track because there easier to launch. There also cheaper. The best bet for these is to check out Modular Powerhouse's "mongoose kit" it has everything you need. you dont really need a intercooler for these because they dont create as much heat as the screw type, at least until you get to higher power levels.

I personally have a KB 1.7 liter blower and i love it. wouldnt trade it for the world

350 ft.lbs of torque at 3000rpm. thats what i call fun !!!

you know what i mean, It has rotors instead of an impellar!!! LOL

phillysrt4
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Is a supercharger mandatory or would you consider turbochargers as well?

Jcelli04
04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
lol yeah i gotcha.

turbos make more power than both and are probly more street friendly than both but there also WAY more money. a twin turbo kit is 6 grand and you'd still have to get all that shit installed. plus u wouldnt be able to take advantage of it without a built shortblock.

i agree its something to think about but $$$$ was the reason i went blower

phillysrt4
04-15-2008, 12:17 PM
well my comment was directed more toward travj (i should have quoted, my bad) but your point is valid.

are you sure they're all 6 grand? I cant believe a twin setup is that expensive. I would also think that the size of the motor would be perfect for a nice garrett single like a GT40R or maybe a bit bigger.

Jcelli04
04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
its really hard to do turbos period in our car. theres no room at all. every kit i've seen you need to buy a new kmember for just to get some tubing and stuff in there. thats what makes it so expensive. plus all the new exhaust stuff that comes with it.

i agree a nice little turbo would be nice but its harder to do a single than it is to do twins in our cars.

i wish this was different because id like to feed a KB 2.8 with some 50mm twins or someting nasty like that lol

travj31
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm open to anything at this point, I'm just looking for opinions and ideas. Driveability and reliability are my two biggest concerns...

John4cam
04-27-2008, 12:04 AM
also whipple does not make a screw for our 2v mustangs so there goes that option.

some centri options are

Vortech v2sq ( this is the blower MPH uses in the "mongoose kit"
Vortech t-trim
Paxton Novi 2000
Procharger P1sc
Procharger Disc

i would suggest against procharger i've heard horror stories about them.

Procharger makes an awesome supercharger, but the self contained blowers were having oil seal probs. If you do go ATI look for a head unit that requires a hole punched and tapped into the oil pan not the sc versions. Make sure you have the car dyno tuned by someone who knows what the hell their doing, Jmo.