PDA

View Full Version : foxbody transmission crossmember - same for auto or manual?

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 07:49 PM
just what the title says.

Getting together a parts list for a junkyard mission this weekend and want to maximize the number of cars I should look at.

I take it I could also consider t-birds from the same years?

Martin0660
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I take it I could also consider t-birds from the same years?

On the T-birds, the auto cars ARE different, they are shorter and use different mounting points.I don't THINK that is the case on the Mustangs, but know its right for the T-Birds.

Bob Myers

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
ok... i'll stick to foxbody manuals just to make sure.

393rag
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I'll have a T5 ready to sell pretty soon. Will need 2nd gear synchros. You can shift it in the car this week if interested. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

Silverhatch
05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
As I understand an auto can easily be made to fit a manual. An auto has the trans mount welded mid way on the crossmember and a manual has it mounted at the rear of the crossmember. Its just a matter of breaking the welds and sliding it all the way back. Thats exactly what i'm gonna do.:thmbsup:

Sonic03snake
05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
You may also want to consider a new repro one, we sell them for 49.95 w/ poly bushings. The tubes are unwelded so they can be slid into place and then tack welded.:goodidea:

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I'll have a T5 ready to sell pretty soon. Will need 2nd gear synchros. You can shift it in the car this week if interested. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours.

im confused... you have a crossmember for sale because you're moving the T5, or youre selling the t5?

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
You may also want to consider a new repro one, we sell them for 49.95 w/ poly bushings. The tubes are unwelded so they can be slid into place and then tack welded.:goodidea:

do you mean the crossmember or the trans mount?

there is already a trans mount on the t5 i have, but it seems to far "back" to mate to teh crossmember. maybe because I dont have one in there is why it doesn't seem like it will, I'm not sure.

Sonic03snake
05-11-2008, 11:21 PM
do you mean the crossmember or the trans mount?

there is already a trans mount on the t5 i have, but it seems to far "back" to mate to teh crossmember. maybe because I dont have one in there is why it doesn't seem like it will, I'm not sure.
I was talking about the crossmember.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-TO-1993-MUSTANG-DOUBLE-HUMP-CROSSMEMBER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ0 04QQitemZ140230772386QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
pm sent

is this a regularly stocked item? this seems to be the way to go but im not going to be in town again for a few weeks so I have to talk cam into installing it for me if i buy it ahead of time lol :)

Sonic03snake
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
pm sent

is this a regularly stocked item? this seems to be the way to go but im not going to be in town again for a few weeks so I have to talk cam into installing it for me if i buy it ahead of time lol :)
Usually there in stock. Yea, im sure Cam misses working on stuff since the Cobra is gone, LOL.:laughing1:

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 11:32 PM
LOL im PMing cam now :)

Viper_ed
05-11-2008, 11:35 PM
As I understand an auto can easily be made to fit a manual. An auto has the trans mount welded mid way on the crossmember and a manual has it mounted at the rear of the crossmember. Its just a matter of breaking the welds and sliding it all the way back. Thats exactly what i'm gonna do.:thmbsup:

They're all in the middle. It has to be slid back for the Tremec. And yes Philly, one from either an auto or manual will work fo r you as long as it's the "double hump" one from a V8.

phillysrt4
05-11-2008, 11:49 PM
ok i think i see the way everything fits together now... cool... hopefully this wont be as painful as i had feared.