PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Helped a buddy install an axle-back on a S197 on Saturday.

Troll
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
It's his gf's car. '05 mustang Gt / auto / yellow with blacks stripes / 2,xxx miles (yeah, only 3 x's). :rolleyes:

He finally talks her into getting an axle-back system. It will probably be the first and only mod. :p

He ordered the regular Magaflow muffs with 4" tips. (not magnapack)

Anyway, he asks me to help. I do my anal 3 days of research on the net and everything I read says: 1) Magnaflow has some of the best fitment bar none. 2) 15-30 minute job. loosen two clamps and 8 bolts for hangers. take mufflers off. put new mufflers on with hangers. adjust (what you can) and tighten everything.

Well well well. there's not much adjustment with those rubber hangers that have 1" of play in all directions. the tips of the mufflers were tight up against the cutouts in the rear bumper. The Magnaflow instructions suggest 1/2" of clearance around all body panels.

So, we screwed around loosening the clamps and adjusting them as much as we could and re-tightening them about 3 times. No success.

THIS IS THE FYI PART FOR ANYONE DOING THIS IN THE FUTURE. WE SHOULD'VE JUST SAVED OURSELVES A 1/2 HOUR OF SCREWING AROUND AND DID THIS FIRST.

So we had to loosen the clamps on the h-pipe section of the exhaust and put a floor jack under the rear stock portion of the system and raise it up slowly. It took about 1/2 crank and the rear section settled right down where it should have. We tightened the h-pipe clamps back up and it's perfect.

The Magnaflow instructions did not mention this and most Mustang sites negleted to suggest this idea. If you were replacing the whole cat-back, you'd probably have to do this anyway before you tightened everything down. We were just lead to believe that it was a simple AXLE-BACK SWAP. :rofl:

We took it for an obligatory 90mph blast in the rain and they do sound great.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

After it took us over an hour to get it right, the cheap macro-brew did taste a lot better.