PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 / 5.4 random thoughts / dimensions.

Troll
05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
:rolleyes: I haven't done my usual internet searching. I'll just ask the professionals here at SCS. Concerning the modular blocks. Is the 5.4 a bored and stroked 4.6 or is it an entirely different block? I know I've seen some stroked and or bored 4.6's that are 284ci, 292ci, 304ci???

If the 5.4 (329) is it's own block, how big can you bore / stroke a 5.4?

Just curious.

Let's just say you found a 5.4 block from a F-150. What size crank is in this? I'm not doing the math right now, but I'm thinking .030 over and a slightly bigger crank would give you about 345-350ci? Modular 347ci... that got a nice ring to it.

And, what heads would/could you use with this. stock 2V PI heads probably wouldn't flow enough, even with an aggressive cam.

Rodeheaver's
05-25-2008, 11:51 PM
the main diff between the two are the stroke, the 5.4 has more stroke at the crank, if you look at the blocks side by side you will see a taller deck on the 5.4 block, this will set the heads higher and make the intake ports on the heads farther apart with the heads bolted down... to figure cubic inches you take bore X stroke X #of cyl X Pie(3.14), the 5.4 shares the same bore size as the 4.6, and a good rule of thumb is to only overbore if it is needed to clean up the cylinder, boreing them out makes the cylinder thinner and weaker, to stroke a motor you have to change the crank stroke rod length and piston compression heigth, i see alot of guys making 1000+ hp with 281 cubes with cnc ported stock PI heads, To make big hp with a mod motor you have to feed em cylinder pressure, via turbo, blower, or nitrous, because in the end cylinder pressure makes power... hope this helps, sorry i started to ramble...

Troll
05-26-2008, 12:13 AM
To make big hp with a mod motor
thanks TIM. You saw where I was headed with this, didn't you?

I'm just looking way down the road. I like n/a power, I don't know why? So, assuming an easy 1hp per cube (which is about what I got now at the wheels), could you get 48 more hp out of a stock 5.4 block with all the usual bolt-ons? What lower intake can you use and would you have sufficient hood clearance with the stock hood on a sn95/new edge mustang?

Rodeheaver's
05-26-2008, 09:05 AM
i think a 5.4 could make 350-400hp with the right bolt ons, as far as the intake goes i think you would have to look around alot, maybe try edelbrock ,