PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Jivepepper
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I been wanting MMR stage 3 heads but It's a little more than I can afford, it would put a strain on my budget for a good while. After all the extras it's 2200

There are some stage 2 Patriot heads for 1295 at summit. That's with steel valves, bronze guides, High lift valve springs, and titanium retainers. MMR charges extra for that. The only thing is that I have heard a lot of bad things in the past about them. I have also heard they have addressed the problems. I like MMR more, but that's a huge difference. At the lower price I might be able to swing it.

What should I do?

TJH64
05-26-2008, 07:14 PM
My advice is to save your money for the MMR heads. While it is a more expensive investment, in my opinion, the $900 difference between a proven piece and one that you *hope* is going to be good is hard to ignore.

From what I know, when a deal seems too good, there is usually a reason, ie: Chinese casting, mismatched and inferior parts, poor machining, just to name a few.
Ultimately, the decision is yours, but do some research on the Patriot heads, get feedback from those who have used them. Good luck:awsome:

SK@StreetLethal
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
The patriot heads are known to have issues. My advice is to stay away from them.

Jivepepper
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I have decided to try the patriots. I know they have had trouble in the past, but I feel the have addressed that in recent years. Please don't be to hard on me if it turns out bad. Maybe I'll have some one who knows to eyeball them for me before installing.

Troll
05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
that was a quick decision. :awsome:

do the Patriots require the stock cores? that might be the cost diff ???

Chris00GT
05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Good luck with the heads. I'd have them checked out by a machine shop before you go to install them. It still seems like they are hit or miss when it comes to problems. The good thing is they'll fix any problems, and alot of times replace your gaskets. The down is they won't cover the labor, and if you have LT headers it's going to get expensive fast!! Personally I would have sent your stock ones to Fox lake and had them ported.

Jivepepper
05-27-2008, 06:31 PM
that was a quick decision. :awsome:

do the Patriots require the stock cores? that might be the cost diff ???

There is no core charge

Good luck with the heads. I'd have them checked out by a machine shop before you go to install them. It still seems like they are hit or miss when it comes to problems. The good thing is they'll fix any problems, and alot of times replace your gaskets. The down is they won't cover the labor, and if you have LT headers it's going to get expensive fast!! Personally I would have sent your stock ones to Fox lake and had them ported.

I do have lt's but I also have upr k-member so there's lots of room.