Thread: How / Why does a single turbo work on a v-style engine?

Lightbulb How / Why does a single turbo work on a v-style engine?

Just out of curiousity??? I see a lot of single-turbo systems for sale for the 05^ mustang GTs. I understand the basics of HOW the system works. The turbo is hooked up to the exhaust header/manifold on one side or cylinder head of the engine and that runs the turbo which is connected via cai/mas/tb to the intake manifold.

Here are my questions:

What kind of back-pressure is on that cylinder head that runs the turbo compared to the other side? Is it different or not. It seems to me that pushing that turbo would create a little more back-pressure on that head while the other head is just pushing right out the free-flowing exhaust. If this is, indeed the case, would one cylinder head produce more or less power than the other side? And, would the valvetrain on the turbo side take more abuse, especially on the exhaust valves? And, if one side does make more power, how would this effect the rods on that side and what about the added stress on 1/2 of those crank bearings???

Like I said, I'm just curious how and/or why it works.

edit: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_05.php
    Last edited by Troll; 01-07-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Both banks are merged before the turbine. Therefore both banks drive the turbo. On a well designed system there isn't anymore back pressure from side to side. One side just has to treverse the engine via a nice flowing cross over pipe. Being that the are merged prior to the turbine will also equalize pressure from each side. When the turbo is fully spooled it will actuall draw air out or your cylinders. Thats the beauty of a turbo operating in its efficiency range. They will always put more horsepower to the wheels than a supercharger. That is also why stock cams work well with turbochargers. They don't need more exhaust cam like supercharger and nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by Domination View Post
    Both banks are merged before the turbine.
    Thanks for the explanation!!! Now it makes sense. If only one bank went into the turbine (like I was stupidly assuming), this would cause some problems, right???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Thanks for the explanation!!! Now it makes sense. If only one bank went into the turbine (like I was stupidly assuming), this would cause some problems, right???

ya think?

When the turbo is fully spooled it will actuall draw air out or your cylinders.
    Bet that plays hell with the pressure ratio when that event occurs?
    289 slabside cobra
    6S1941

40 Ford Sedan Delivery < For Sale

When the turbo is fully spooled it will actuall draw air out or your cylinders. Thats the beauty of a turbo operating in its efficiency range.
    ummmmm.....sounds like perpetual motion to me

If you have less pressure on the turbine than there is on the compressor side, you aproach surge. A well designed turbo system might approach 1:1 boost to turbine pressure. The junk we mess around with is more like 2:1 or greater. In my case with 25 psi boost, the exhaust manifold is seeing better than 50 psi at full song. There are indeed some exceptions with HUGE turbine wheels, but its never going to be a vacuum on the exhaust valve.

This is one of the reasons stock "ish" cams work so well on turbo engines, little to no overlap.

Bob Myers

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin0660 View Post
    ummmmm.....sounds like perpetual motion to me
    I have some flubber you may be interested in...it's great..just drop it and it will bounce higher and higher everytime!!!
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    I have some flubber you may be interested in...it's great..just drop it and it will bounce higher and higher everytime!!!

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    I want some flubber

i have become a big fan of single turbo. the setup is much much simpler and cheaper if going with new parts(which in my opinion is worth it) don't skimp on turbo because of price. seen it too many times used turbo that crap themselves when being used.

Banned
    I guess I took what the guy at comp said to be gospil without even thinking. You kinda do need a bit of a pressure diffirentiation to make the damn things work.

Single for function, twins for bling