Quote Originally Posted by shawnsvtcobra View Post
    Stu wheer are ya haaa.
    probaly scared from driver the SS!:D

Quote Originally Posted by Mater View Post
    probaly scared from driver the SS!:D
    Hhahaha i doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by 04snake View Post
    I am already making room for some new gears, but that's the only thing

You must not of read the fine print where I crossed my fingers!

I might need 12 step to get thru this!!
    Ha! I win already!

03 Cobra=slow show car...
    13 F-150 Limited

Stu wheer are ya haaa.
    No I worked a Mustang Show today, I was the head burger flipper and weenie roaster for like 6 hrs, my old man back is hurting and my eye's are focked from all the smoke.

I took a 20 min break to take pictures I would like to work on tonight. Maybe I can post them tonight or tomorrow, it was cloudy and my battery was dieing so the flash wasn't always shooting, so no idea how they are.

You guys are asking me stuff I haven't even had a chance to research, so you can kinda follow my quest which will have a few turn arounds for sure or give me a couple weeks. I have spent more time on forums bragging about this find than I have spent poking around Summit. I will be racing this car in a few weeks so I will have to do a couple things fast. The tuning can wait, but I need to take measures not to stomp, twist and blow the rear.

what do I know, the 1999 SS got an upgraded Auburn limited slip (part of the Z28 package) but it still basically sucks at the track. The stock gear of the Z-28 is 3.23, it was worked on by SLP for a base SS package and some got an optional 3.42 rear gear, not sure which one I have, but it matters not. Shawn I am really surprised you can't predict what gears I am going to use at the track, the same ones I swapped into my Cobra: 4.10's! Unless your making huge 600+ HP or you are worried about gas mileage, there is really one choice for quick 60fts. What I am trying to figure out is while I'm in there if I want to swap to a Auburn or Eaton posi and if I need the 10 bolt cover brace I am seeing all over the place. I might just slap in the 4.10's and think about the rest, or add the hardened cover, not sure. Prices of this stuff is about the same as the Ferds, non of it is wicked bad. I think I will run lighter 75W-90 Amsoil punkin juice for low friction and quicker break-in, not recommended for road courses.

I think I want to replace the T-56 juice with some fresh GM Synthetic Syncro-mesh with 1/2 bottle extra friction modifier added, after all I did the same thing on the Cobra and it wasn't even recommended but it is recommended on the GM and that should help the shifting if the juice is 7 years old and I think it is. I will have to mess with the clutch probably sooner than later and after my recent quality control issue with Ram I need to reassess who I might want to deal with. McCleod, Spec or Excedy all make a ton of choices, but I need to look for feedback on that. I need to get some DR's, Mickey Thompson is making some 17" now but the Nitto's are cheap and for now I will just mount them on the stock wheels, I have access to a tire changer for a quick swap. I might grab some lightweight wheels in the future, but at least get an extra set of stock wheels so I can swap tires for a cruise.

Stick my G-Tech in there for a shift light and I am ready for Street night and then see where I am. I bet I'll surprise you with this car, high 12's will beat most imports and I know a dozen guys I will be able to have little grudge matches with, that would not line up against the 04. I think this old catfish, just might be a blast.
    Last edited by 04snake; 08-27-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Stu i have 4.30's in my cobra.

No I worked a Mustang Show today, I was the head burger flipper and weenie roaster for like 6 hrs, my old man back is hurting and my eye's are focked from all the smoke.

I took a 20 min break to take pictures I would like to work on tonight. Maybe I can post them tonight or tomorrow, it was cloudy and my battery was dieing so the flash wasn't always shooting, so no idea how they are.

You guys are asking me stuff I haven't even had a chance to research, so you can kinda follow my quest which will have a few turn arounds for sure or give me a couple weeks. I have spent more time on forums bragging about this find than I have spent poking around Summit. I will be racing this car in a few weeks so I will have to do a couple things fast. The tuning can wait, but I need to take measures not to stomp, twist and blow the rear.

what do I know, the 1999 SS got an upgraded Auburn limited slip (part of the Z28 package) but it still basically sucks at the track. The stock gear of the Z-28 is 3.23, it was worked on by SLP for a base SS package and some got an optional 3.42 rear gear, not sure which one I have, but it matters not. Shawn I am really surprised you can't predict what gears I am going to use at the track, the same ones I swapped into my Cobra: 4.10's! Unless your making huge 600+ HP or you are worried about gas mileage, there is really one choice for quick 60fts. What I am trying to figure out is while I'm in there if I want to swap to a Auburn or Eaton posi and if I need the 10 bolt cover brace I am seeing all over the place. I might just slap in the 4.10's and think about the rest, or add the hardened cover, not sure. Prices of this stuff is about the same as the Ferds, non of it is wicked bad. I think I will run lighter 75W-90 Amsoil punkin juice for low friction and quicker break-in, not recommended for road courses.

I think I want to replace the T-56 juice with some fresh GM Synthetic Syncro-mesh with 1/2 bottle extra friction modifier added, after all I did the same thing on the Cobra and it wasn't even recommended but it is recommended on the GM and that should help the shifting if the juice is 7 years old and I think it is. I will have to mess with the clutch probably sooner than later and after my recent quality control issue with Ram I need to reassess who I might want to deal with. McCleod, Spec or Excedy all make a ton of choices, but I need to look for feedback on that. I need to get some DR's, Mickey Thompson is making some 17" now but the Nitto's are cheap and for now I will just mount them on the stock wheels, I have access to a tire changer for a quick swap. I might grab some lightweight wheels in the future, but at least get an extra set of stock wheels so I can swap tires for a cruise.

Stick my G-Tech in there for a shift light and I am ready for Street night and then see where I am. I bet I'll surprise you with this car, high 12's will beat most imports and I know a dozen guys I will be able to have little grudge matches with, that would not line up against the 04. I think this might old catfish, just might be a blast.

Wow, sounds like a good plan to me. I bet this is gonna end up being alot of fun for you, at least you sound pretty excited.:)
    Oh and yea, the car should definately run solidly in the high 12s with those basic mods.

13 F-150 Limited

Stu i have 4.30's in my cobra.
    yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 112 at 6000, I will shift this thing around 6K instead of 64-6500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Your the man dog, the shifts come fast enough with the 4.10's, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, not sure if I could handle 4.30 or 4.56's! ;)
    Last edited by 04snake; 08-27-2006 at 11:31 PM.

yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 104 at 5500, I will shift this thing around 5K instead of 54-5500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Your the man dog, the shifts come fast enough with the 4.10's, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger, not sure if I could handle 4.30 or 4.56's! ;)
    go 4:30's or if u plain on a t-rex cam go 4;56's any ?? just pm me or call!:D

yeah, taller than 4.10 would have been an option, but the pushrod motor will not spin like your cobra. What speed/rpm do you trap at? I calculated around 104 at 5500, I will shift this thing around 5K instead of 54-5500, so If I keep the stock profile tire of around 26" I think I will be trapping about right with 4.10, with a little room to go faster, ya never know!

Ya da man, i seen you shift bro.:D

go 4:30's or if u plain on a t-rex cam go 4;56's any ?? just pm me or call!:D
    hmm.. so how high do you spin a LS1? where do you shift it at? Are you talking about stock profile 26" tires? all things I need to learn and fast. Maybe your right I just want to hit the point I shift at, right at the line. That is what I started at with my cobra with the 4.10's and 26" tire. I would hit the line around 6300 and on a good run the shift light set at 6400 would go off. That yeilded me the best and lowest consistent times with an intercooled, blown application and now with a lower + ported setup, weight reduced, bigger I/C tank & pump, I will trap closer to the rev limiter without N20, so I had to get a 28" tire.

I want a gear that will give me that same starting setup on stock profile DR's, so I have a little room to go faster. So what the heck is the shift point 5500-6000? My Eaton stopped pulling over 6000 and you need room for the powershift spike. Even with my rev limiter bumped up to 7150, that worked best for me, not a feeling, I kept track. You don't spin a LS1 like a 4V do you? So I just guessed that 6K would be pretty safe and good point to start to see what the car itself has to say about what makes it the go fastest.

4.30 are good up to what, about 107 mph in the 1/4, I was shooting for, and I know without longtubes I probably won't see, but I was leaving room for about 110-112 mph so that was where I was coming from, at 6K 4.30's turn 26" tire 107mph. I am afraid that without ET streets a lot of the 60ft quickness I would want from 4.56/4.30 gear would be lost on DR's so I was thinking of trying to let some of top end roll radials are better for happen on the 2nd 1/8 mile. Driving around the street with those gears wouldn't bother me in the least, just wondering about the track.

real world experience beats all bench racing and I don't need to re-invent the wheel so I will be asking a couple F-body guys what they run and why. a lot to learn.
    Last edited by 04snake; 08-27-2006 at 11:34 PM.

leave the line at 55oo & shift 6200 to 6500!

leave the line at 55oo & shift 6200 to 6500!
    Wow, stouter than the Cobra, hmm. well time to go to school I guess, I have under selling the LS1, I guess valve float is a myth and I need to shift at the redline. I believe you, I guess I need re-think everything. Not sure the stock clutch is gunna like that too much but only time will tell, right?

Wow, stouter than the Cobra, hmm. well time to go to school I guess, I have under selling the LS1, I guess valve float is a myth and I need to shift at the redline. I believe you, I guess I need re-think everything. Not sure the stock clutch is gunna like that too much but only time will tell, right?
    Time to find out.:D

good info here at www.ls1tech.com

good info here at www.ls1tech.com
    yup more sleep deprivation straight ahead!

Yea its impossible to read all the info on that site, I tried for like 6 months and gave up. Lots of good stuff there though!

13 F-150 Limited

Drink lots of coffee.