Thread: Cars running great!!

Talking Cars running great!!

I just finished up with the TFS intake/T-trim upgrade and took it for a spin. I can't believe how much smoother it runs. All the little codes and glitches must have been either related to the intake, tb/plenum or one of the gaskets involved. I was getting occasional misses and the feeling of holding back at cruise before the mods.

No sputtering, no occasional miss nothing. It's running a little rich at idle, and wants to stall ocassionally when coming to stop. Nothing that a tune couldn't fix.

After a little bit of tweaking it's going to be a great running car. But I really need to change my exhaust. The 3" bullets dumped is getting old already. Way to loud and raspy/thrasy sound when combined with an X-pipe.

Overall I'm very happy so far with the mods and I'm looking forward to tuning April 3rd. Yippie it's back to it's smooth running self.
    665/540 New times coming
    Old times with 516/453 11.10 @129 Best trap 130.69 -750' DA lol
    DYNO VID ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uOS732mdA

Good to hear everything smoothed itself out with the new mods!
    2004 Black GT
    2009 Black Jeep SRT8
    2013 Race Red Boss 302
    2003 Black SVT Cobra (11k miles, E85, 2.3 whipple, 22psi, 700+ RWHP) FOR SALE!
    2009 White 6.4 F250 SOLD
    2008 Black TL-S SOLD
    2006 Black R1 Raven SOLD
    2002 Black SVT Lightning SOLD
    2003 Red Mustang SOLD

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    wow...I didn't realize you were upgrading to a T-trim as well.

Did you send it to vortech fo rhte upgrade, or buy a different unit?

if you sent it back, how much did they charge?

Going to be a real animal this year. (not like it wasn't already)
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

Good to hear!

I'm still not super familiar with the 4.6's, but are you coming up on the most you can get out of a 4.6 while still using pump gas? Any thought of meth injection as a safety factor? or like i did, 50/50 meth/water?
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari
    - bolt-ons, tune, lots of carbon fiber (642/671 rwhp/tq)

Quote Originally Posted by somethingclever View Post
    wow...I didn't realize you were upgrading to a T-trim as well.

Did you send it to vortech fo rhte upgrade, or buy a different unit?

if you sent it back, how much did they charge?

Going to be a real animal this year. (not like it wasn't already)
    For just the volute and impeller it about 640 a total rebuild is almost 1100 which includes bearing seal etc.

I just had the volute and impeller changed along with the front and rear shaft seals. I got a sweat deal from Frank @ Vortech because I belong to so many forums(25-30) and I'm always talking about my jalopy. I'm always telling people how great of a product Vortech is.. Some forums I have in excess of 10k in posts lol. My Cardonain site has well over 120k views and about 400 comments.

Plus I told him I was considering a billet impeller upgrade from 944 motorsports that is supposed to flow almost as much as a T-trim for 500 and he made me deal.
    665/540 New times coming

thats good to hear Jive, i suspected that intake as a big hold back because your car is making so much HP, I think we talked about that. I can't wait to see the HP difference between the stock intake and that Trick flow intake along with the t-trim, it should be a huge difference, I would say not so much in total power output but in where the power is being made..
    2015 A6 Mustang GT that so far has gone 9.48@147 but still the fastest prochargerd S550 in the world aside from Tim Essick's!
    www.Rodeheavershotrod.com

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBish View Post
    Good to hear!

I'm still not super familiar with the 4.6's, but are you coming up on the most you can get out of a 4.6 while still using pump gas? Any thought of meth injection as a safety factor? or like i did, 50/50 meth/water?

I'm close on the sohc. But I just might have to pull timing out and sacrifice hp because I'm broke lol.

I know a guy with a 427 lsx motor afr heads fast intake and cams and a F1A the made over 900 @ 15psi and ran a 9.44 at 153. That was pump gas lol.
    Last edited by Jivepepper; 03-19-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    665/540 New times coming

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeheaver's View Post
    thats good to hear Jive, i suspected that intake as a big hold back because your car is making so much HP, I think we talked about that. I can't wait to see the HP difference between the stock intake and that Trick flow intake along with the t-trim, it should be a huge difference, I would say not so much in total power output but in where the power is being made..
    For a S-trim my car was making power pretty guick in the power band and good bit of TQ for a 4.6 with a centrifuge SC. I think it was spooling so quick because the 18% overedrive crank pulley. I only took it to 6400 because that's where it quit making power. So it also reached it's limits quick.

I feel I had an unmetered air leak at the intake gasket or maybe the TB shaft because the plenum/TB were never off with the head change? Maybe even a hair line crack in the intake?

I inspected everything when I took it off and the gasket/intake, and other stuff looked fine but but maybe I missed it. All the bolts still seemed nice and tight when I removed it. But so far it is a nice marked improvement.

I have already sold the TB/plenum and the intake to 2 different people on the net. If they experience any problems that are similar I will have to refund their money. I have been active in most of the larger mustang forums, some for almost 8 years. I've bought and sold a lot of parts and my reputation is in this community is very important to me.

I also went from a chip to a tuner before the intake/T-trim install and it stiil had the little miss here and there, and the feeling of holding back at cruise sometimes.

But the tuner did fix the random dying and shutting off at wot. The intake swap seems to have fixed the miss and sluggish feel at cruise.

I hope all my ducks are in a row now, lol. Knock on wood.:)
    Last edited by Jivepepper; 03-19-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    665/540 New times coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jivepepper View Post
    I'm close on the sohc. But I just might have to pull timing out and sacrifice hp because I'm broke lol.

I know a guy with a 427 lsx motor afr heads fast intake and cams and a F1A the made over 900 @ 15psi and ran a 9.44 at 153. That was pump gas lol.
    Well, the meth kit is pretty cheap insurance... plus allows you to continue to run where you're at, and actually will take some stress off of the fuel system .... plus a cooler intake charge and the car will likely make a few more ponies!

My car (ex-car) runs on 93 pump, but I added the 50/50 meth/water injection kit just as insurance to make sure I didn't blow anything up accidentally... We went a little over-conservative, still only running 12* of timing, but it was the peace of mind that I wasn't risking anything... it was setup to turn on at 6psi so that it wasn't running at partial throttle, and the car really didn't go through that much... and if you wanna make it easy, run some of the regular blue windshield washer fluid - $2 a bottle...

Eh, just a suggestion - would hate to see something bad happen... i think it only cost me $250 for Boost Cooler kit, and its a piece of cake to install.... It gave me piece of mind, along with the added benefit of less stress on the fuel system... my fuel system maxed out at 4000 rpms and 16psi, with the car making 840rwhp... even though i backed the boost down to 13psi, i wanted to be sure i wasn't going to eat a fuel pump...

Enjoy the car!
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBish View Post
    Well, the meth kit is pretty cheap insurance... plus allows you to continue to run where you're at, and actually will take some stress off of the fuel system .... plus a cooler intake charge and the car will likely make a few more ponies!

My car (ex-car) runs on 93 pump, but I added the 50/50 meth/water injection kit just as insurance to make sure I didn't blow anything up accidentally... We went a little over-conservative, still only running 12* of timing, but it was the peace of mind that I wasn't risking anything... it was setup to turn on at 6psi so that it wasn't running at partial throttle, and the car really didn't go through that much... and if you wanna make it easy, run some of the regular blue windshield washer fluid - $2 a bottle...

Eh, just a suggestion - would hate to see something bad happen... i think it only cost me $250 for Boost Cooler kit, and its a piece of cake to install.... It gave me piece of mind, along with the added benefit of less stress on the fuel system... my fuel system maxed out at 4000 rpms and 16psi, with the car making 840rwhp... even though i backed the boost down to 13psi, i wanted to be sure i wasn't going to eat a fuel pump...

Enjoy the car!
    Wow you picked up another 150 hp from only 3 psi by 4k rpm. Must be nice.
    665/540 New times coming

Wow you picked up another 150 hp from only 3 psi by 4k rpm. Must be nice.
    Well i misspoke - it was actually 3.5psi - my car made max tq at 4500 rpms and max hp at 5500-5700 rpms... it did seem to pick up a ton of hp between boost settings though... plus that was likely letting it lean out to 11.5:1 afr, as opposed to the 11.0:1 that I have it tuned at... every little factor makes a ton of difference on a turbo car... well, with boost in general!

the meth is just something to consider before you go get a tune... either way, its a very fast car! :)
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari

. But I really need to change my exhaust. The 3" bullets dumped is getting old already. Way to loud and raspy/thrasy sound when combined with an X-pipe.

IF IT'S 2 LOUD UR 2 OLD... "AND THATS ALL I HAVE 2 SAY BOUT THAT"

LOL...
    COREY...

*04 Torch Red Cobra
    1 of 164 with med.graphite inserts

Work done and Tuned by Rodeheaver's Hot Rod shop...

471hp/489tq
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

*1970 chevelle ss L-S5 454, 4 spd
    real deal not a clone have paperwork

far from a newb!!! INSANELY CRAZY's Avatar
    glad to hear it's running alot better jive
    ridin fast,hittin da hills,throwin some dirt

2003 polaris predator 500

(wanna ride,just pm me!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by INSANELY CRAZY View Post
    glad to hear it's running alot better jive
    It's amazing how much better it makes me feel lol.
    665/540 New times coming

It's amazing how much better it makes me feel lol.
    i know that feeling of relief!
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari