Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing job / field completely.. what are your thoughts?

2.4 KB & Juice

Changing job / field completely.. what are your thoughts?

Long story short, I have an opportunity to change my job/field completely and make a good bit more money. I've been in sales my entire life and have done great at it. Unfortunately about 3 years ago now, I was laid off from a great job. Since then, I've been making roughly 1/2 of what I used to, huge kick in the ass, hence one of the reasons I sold the cobra when I did. Anyhow... I have the opportunity to go into the labor field making roughly 10k more in salary a year plus guaranteed 5-10 hours a week OT. Basically I'd be going from sales and talking to people everyday, to straight 100% labor, basically secluded from earth for 8-10 hours lol.

I guess my question is, would you do this to chase dollar bills? I'd just like to get back to making near what I used too, and w/ overtime, it will be close. I know being happy and liking your job is half the battle, but right now money is more important to me then anything. What are your thoughts?
    07 Silverado
    05 R6

Sold: 03 Cobra, Built motor - 2.4 KB - N2O

i don't know man. IMO, labor is a bitch. you might end up really hating your job even if you are making more money. if you really like what you do now, why not try to find a better paying job in the same field of work? you had one before, so there must be more out there
    2013 Mustang GT
    1987 Mustang GT
    1999 Contour SVT

If it will get you another cobra...lol, I think if it were me, I would give it alot of thought and prayer..
    2015 A6 Mustang GT that so far has gone 9.48@147 but still the fastest prochargerd S550 in the world aside from Tim Essick's!
    www.Rodeheavershotrod.com

If you don't mind getting into the labor field I say go for it. You can always keep feelers out to get back into what you really like to do. I've been laid off since april and decided to take the summer off, and all I've ever been is a laborer, I keep thinking I'd like to get into something else but I'm really not qualified to do anything else. But we'll see. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
    ----Jay----1988 Thunderbird 5.0 AOD

I was a laborer and then went into sales and I doubt there is enough money out there to make me switch back.

What kind of sales did you do?
    -Paul

1995 GT 'vert
    Best times on old 302 combo:
    12.03 at 112.5mph NA
    Best time with 9:1 compression NA dart block 331 setup:
    11.50 at 121mph
    Dyno'd: 415rwhp/410rwtq

2004 Z16 commemorative edition Z06
    100% stock: 11.9 at 118mph

What is the job exactly? Are we talking digging ditches or the like?

Either way you must do what makes you happy. In the end it's not only money that matters and it's not always what you make, it's what you do with it.
    Mark
    LeMans Blue Z06

Everything I have is slow 2001GTTT's Avatar
    If money is whats most important for you right now....then the answer is pretty much clear. I was working at a motorcycle shop and now im a C/O at the county prison...big change.
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1931 Ford Model A - Project
    1991 BMW 325iX
    1978 Ford F150
    1952 Ford F2 - Project
    2001 Mustang GT - gone but never forgotten. RIP.

If there was a way to make more money and not have to talk to a single customer all day, I would be in heaven. Too many wacko's out there anymore.
    Lou
    Best non ported stock pullied eaton pass
    1.50 60ft 11.160@ 125.08

New combo,
    Ported Eaton, upper/lower
    508 Hp 548 TQ SAE on an inferior Dynojet Dyno
    1.43 60 ft. 10.55 @ 130 MPH

WFC 8 Mod Motor Winner
    06 NMRA Martin, Mi. Mod Muscle Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic03snake View Post
    If there was a way to make more money and not have to talk to a single customer all day, I would be in heaven. Too many wacko's out there anymore.
    Man I am just going to call you up to mess with you now. j/k

KBCobra,
    Do whatever you think will make you happy. I have been kicking around the idea of looking for a new job but staying in the same field for over a year now. The money is good but the stress can get to me a times. It seems managment had the idea to get rid of people and just spread the work load around. Well they did this a few times so far and the team I work on has more than three times the work we once did plus there is no end in sight. That and driving 45miles each way is grinding me down.
    My thinking is that IF I could find a job I liked that was closer to home I would be more than willing to take a pay cut. Money isnt everything! Some times your health/sanity should come first.
    Stock 03 Cobra Vroom Vroom!!

Proudly supports Street Lethal Performance and Rodeheaver's Hotrod Shop

Quote Originally Posted by RUTHLESS View Post
    Man I am just going to call you up to mess with you now. j/k

My thinking is that IF I could find a job I liked that was closer to home I would be more than willing to take a pay cut. Money isnt everything! Some times your health/sanity should come first.
    Amen
    Lou
    Best non ported stock pullied eaton pass
    1.50 60ft 11.160@ 125.08

New combo,
    Ported Eaton, upper/lower
    508 Hp 548 TQ SAE on an inferior Dynojet Dyno
    1.43 60 ft. 10.55 @ 130 MPH

WFC 8 Mod Motor Winner
    06 NMRA Martin, Mi. Mod Muscle Winner

Money isnt everything! Some times your health/sanity should come first.
    You don't realize how much mentioned above really means until you do lose it.

and if I was in your position, I'd go for it. You have the experience in sales to get back into it, if laboring isn't what you want, granted there are some jobs still in that field.
    Matt
    94 Ford Ranger
    01 KX125
    2002 Ford Mustang GT - 13.96 @ 98.8 (sold)

Nothing wrong with working for a living if there is a skill involved. There's always someone willing to do things cheaper. That's where the trade/skill part comes in. Is there as future in this job?
    Mark Lowry

Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic03snake View Post
    If there was a way to make more money and not have to talk to a single customer all day, I would be in heaven..
    I have said that for years. Problem is the jobs that pay the most are in dealing with other human beings. I just said last week that I want to be a Forest Ranger in Montana in my next life. hehe..
    Mark
    LeMans Blue Z06

ive been a laborer(union) for about 6 years now. its hard work and i dont like it alot of the time but i just keep my mind on pay day. if i could make the money i make now doing something that i enjoyed, life would be great

Money isnt everything! Some times your health/sanity should come first.
    This is true, i took a 5 dollar an hour cut to move and work where i am right now compared to new york.. its all in what YOU want to do.. I like where i work alot and i love what i do. So i made the choice not based on money but other issures, such as family and friends. I almost lost my dad last year and almost lost my mom a few weeks ago so i am glad i made the move.. So its all in what YOU want

2.4 KB & Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    This is true, i took a 5 dollar an hour cut to move and work where i am right now compared to new york.. its all in what YOU want to do.. I like where i work alot and i love what i do. So i made the choice not based on money but other issures, such as family and friends. I almost lost my dad last year and almost lost my mom a few weeks ago so i am glad i made the move.. So its all in what YOU want
    I hear ya guys. It's basic labor work in a union, moving things around and loading trucks sort of thing. There is definitly room to move up in this company. I actually already did all the initial application type stuff, personality test etc etc. The guy actually told me I'm way over qualified for the job and he wants me to make sure this is what I want. I've been in the cell phone business since I've been 18, 26 yrs old now. The business used to be extremely lucrative, and with some companies, still is. I currently work for Cricket Corporate, it can be extremely stressful at times. The clientele we have is to be desired. Considering no contracts and no credit checks for our service, do the math and you'll understand the type of people I deal with everyday.

I've apllied countless times @ Verizon for management positions and also w/ fedex kinkos. Never heard back from them. I have an excellent sales resume to boot, I dunno.

I'd ultimately like to stay in sales / management, I have the experience and I have the drive to blow sales jobs out of the water. After my huge pay cut several years back, it just hurts. I was by no means rich but I was doing very well for myself and making alot of money and having fun while I did it.

This labor job doesn't bother me either, I'm not afraid to break a sweat. Time will tell. The company is having me work a few days soon here to test me and make sure it's what I want to do, so ultimately that will be my decision maker. It's also only about 3 miles from my house which doesn't hurt. 100% full benefits, no monthly charge. My current job, I pay $26 weekly for garbage benefits. So that would be a huge plus.

Does anyone know of any good sales jobs right now that are open?

Thanks,

Dan
    07 Silverado
    05 R6

I just checked my job listings for my company and nothing are really in the "sales" department.. If you wanted to look for yourself and see if anything interests you the website is www.lockheedmartinjobs.com scroll the whole way down and in the keyword section type in Johnstown and then the results will come up

2.4 KB & Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    I just checked my job listings for my company and nothing are really in the "sales" department.. If you wanted to look for yourself and see if anything interests you the website is www.lockheedmartinjobs.com scroll the whole way down and in the keyword section type in Johnstown and then the results will come up
    Thanks man, i'll keep my eye open. Johnstown is a hike for me though lol
    07 Silverado
    05 R6

I checked the website for my company as well and they do not have any openings in sales. However, if i hear of anything, I will let you know Dan... good luck!

There is a marketing manager position available - but it looks like they are looking for someone with a MBA - do you have that?

https://hrms.highmark.com/psp/recrui...AM.HRS_CE.GBL/
    2015 Corvette Z06
    - Shark Grey / Kalahari
    - bolt-ons, tune, lots of carbon fiber (642/671 rwhp/tq)

Quote Originally Posted by KBCobra View Post
    Thanks man, i'll keep my eye open. Johnstown is a hike for me though lol
    there are alot of guys that carpool, but yea i forgot where you lived and it would be a hike