Thread: Need help asap

KB snake

Need help asap

Ok guys here is the story. Took my 2003 kenne bell cobra out for a drive tonight. For 45 minutes it ran great. Shut the car off and hung out with a friend for a few minutes and got ready to leave. Car started fine and I was just pulling out, maybe made it like 10 feet and the car died.

Went to start it back up and two things happened. First being the theft light was flashing really fast, second being that the odometer instead of showing milege is now showing this - - - - -

Over winter i did 2 things, Solid rear swap, obviously not the problem, and 2 installed a N2MB 2 step. Since then i have put 800 miles on the car with zero issues.

Car still has all working lights, door still has the chime. and the radio still plays. Door locks on the remore also work fine.
    Tried my spare key and nothing, disconnected the battery and also nothing. Car will crank but not start.

Modular Ford Performance Wolfpack Speed's Avatar
    i see you have a kb, do you have a bap? if so, do you have the 30 amp fuel pump fuse in the engine bay? either way is the fuse still good?
    Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

KB snake
    yeah i have a bap and did not check that mike but i will now. Would that cause the theft light to go crazy and the odometer to read in dashes.

My fuel pressure gauge is saying i got fuel pressure weather the car has the keys out or in the start position

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsnake03 View Post
    yeah i have a bap and did not check that mike but i will now. Would that cause the theft light to go crazy and the odometer to read in dashes.

My fuel pressure gauge is saying i got fuel pressure weather the car has the keys out or in the start position
    No, it wouldn't cause the electrical stuff but I want to make sure you are getting fuel and this is one way to tell...
    Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

KB snake
    everything works and has power, only thing i noticed is car will crank and not start, odometer in dashes. and my 2step box light aint on. not sure why. also tried both my original keys, and tune was never changed

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsnake03 View Post
    everything works and has power, only thing i noticed is car will crank and not start, odometer in dashes. and my 2step box light aint on. not sure why. also tried both my original keys, and tune was never changed
    Definitely check your wot box wiring...
    Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

this happend to me, fuel pressure sensor regulator
    6.4 litre fox and its all ford

KB snake
    checked the wiring there and all was well. car has had about 800 miles on it since i installed the 2 step

when my FRPS went out, I didn't get the -------- odometer reading (at least that I can recall) .

Try to unplug the sensor from the FRPS and see what happens (it's the black box at the front of the fuel rail on the drivers side). If the car goes back to normal, you're looking a new FRPS module. Even if you haven't blown the FRPS, it's always a good idea to travel with one in the car for if/when it does happen. They're ~$70 shipped from tousley ford on SVTP

KB snake
    Will check the FRPS. for some reason it seems like the car isnt getting spark. My fuel pressure gauge is reading that i have good fuel pressure. Gonna try and get a code scanner from my buddy, from what ir ead if you hook up a scan tool and it wont read then it might be the PCM. God i hope it aint that lol

The car will usually still run even with a bad frps...

wicked, i have to bounce, just had a crank pulley come apart on me during a dyno pull with a car that we are tuning...great

give me a ring at the shop if you need help...
    Wolfpack Speed, Inc.
    4290 Campbells Run Rd
    Pittsburgh, PA 15205
    (412) 279-4902

KB snake
    alright thanks mike, I wouldnt be so worried if it did it near my house, But the car is about 20 minutes from my house in a darn parking lot. Trying to figure out as much as i can on this issue then go and mess around with it some more.

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Bleed the fuel line off...make sure the reading on the gauge goes down...turn key to "on" and make sure fuel pumps kick on and fuel pressure rises
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

It sounds like the pats has kicked in and locked the car down on you.
    http://www.streetlethalperformance.net
    Let us know your parts needs! We will work to get you the lowest possible price!

KB snake
    Yeah i was kiddin thinking pats too, but everything i seen said it should still show odometer reading? I tried the spare key and got the same deal.

Here is all i know right now, my 2step gets power off my coils. well the light for the 2step aint on, which means the coils arent getting power. So if it is pats what can i do. I can see one key maybe is old and just freaked, but even my spare key wont start it

KB snake
    Alright well drove back down to the car and started lookin for some more things. I didnt have a flashlight with me lastnight so it was kinda limited to what i could do.

I found that the PCM fuse blew. Replaced it and the car started up. Babied the car home for the 20 minute drive. Had great fuel pressure, and the air fuel was running right where it always was.

Now I just gotta figure out why the fuse blew. Car seemed to run alittle funny at first and sound alittle different exhaust wise I thought but maybe that was all in my head.

Mike or anyone else with tuning experience on these cars, A blown PCM fuse would mess with the tune that was in the car would it. Like i Said all gauges should everything in good order was just curious.

I am going to go over the car and check alot more stuff now that I have it back in my garage

glad to hear you got it home
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

KB snake
    Just wanted to report that me and my buddy jay found the problem and all seems well.

Long story short we were able to duplicate the issue at will, which led us into the glove box area. At first we thought maybe it was the WOT box that me and him installed. But found out that was not the problem at all.

Guy that owned the car before me installed a dynojet wideband commender, which a switch to datalog. Well what we found was he used wayyyy to small of a wire end and hardly even crimped the connector.

The hot power wire actually came out of the connector and was arking up under the glove box area. It also friend the toggle switch with it. We re did the wiring to it so we now it is good and hooked up a new toogle switch.

All is well and thanks for everyone for trying to help with ideas. Only bad part is i still gotta finish up there car tomm so i wont make it to wheels and wings this year.

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    Glad to hear...that sounds like a tough one to track down.

Nice job..
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.