Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 04 mods

04 mods

Anyone know any good quick power adders for a 3.9L. Got the CAI and thinking about getting a true dual exhaust and i am going to get a tuner with in the next couple weeks. Right now i got a summit dual exhaust but i need more noise and power..... so all ideas for extra power will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by thaley21 View Post
    Anyone know any good quick power adders for a 3.9L. Got the CAI and thinking about getting a true dual exhaust and i am going to get a tuner with in the next couple weeks. Right now i got a summit dual exhaust but i need more noise and power..... so all ideas for extra power will be helpful.

For a v6, the cats need to be gone to make noise. You can have whatever mufflers on it that you want, but it will sound the same as long as the cats stay.
    The best former Rodeheaver's Hot Rod employee ever.

15gt
    Premium - Performance Pack - Recaros

94gt
    410w - faceplated t56 - s478 - Gone

remove V6, insert V8.

problem solved.
    2013 Mustang GT
    1987 Mustang GT
    1999 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by White5.0 View Post
    remove V6, insert V8.

problem solved.
    x2..

Junkyard in junkyard out. ModularMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by White5.0 View Post
    remove V6, insert LSx.

problem solved.
    Totally agree my man.

What's your budget?? The windstar intake is a great upgrade. Exhaust and a tuner is a must. If you have the cash go with a procharger,vortech, or turbo. You'll gain the most from turbo but it's most expensive. Procharger is the cheapest but 2nd most power gainer

Quote Originally Posted by ModularMike View Post
    Totally agree my man.
    Thats what i was going to do

Quote Originally Posted by 97LaserRed View Post
    What's your budget?? The windstar intake is a great upgrade. Exhaust and a tuner is a must. If you have the cash go with a procharger,vortech, or turbo. You'll gain the most from turbo but it's most expensive. Procharger is the cheapest but 2nd most power gainer
    this coming from mr. 4v turbo swap after a procharged v6 wasnt enough

Hey I still support my fellow v6ers Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cwh19 View Post
    For a v6, the cats need to be gone to make noise. You can have whatever mufflers on it that you want, but it will sound the same as long as the cats stay.
    +1. He can vouch for this after hearing my car both with and without cats.
    Cats = almost silent at idle and not loud until you're on it.
    No cats = can actually hear it at idle, much louder, deeper, really raspy at high rpms.
    Don't run straight through mufflers on a v6 or it will sound like a lawnmower on steriods. (magnapacks, cherry bombs, borla, etc)
    Most people run Flowmaster 40's...but they WILL drone at highway speed if you don't have cats.
    Your mid pipe changes the sound alittle too (H Pipe, deeper and more mellow, X pipe louder and raspier)

Windstar Intake is a good one, its what I'm gonna be doing soon.
    www.vapauto.com

Some people have made some decent power with the Super Six Motorsports Lumpy Cam and porting the heads, lower intake, windstar, etc.

If you want to make real power you need to go FI though.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Dead Sea Racing Crew phillysrt4's Avatar
    another vote for the windstar intake. Can be a relatively cheap mod to do if you have access to a salvage yard or as was posted go to vapauto and get the kit all in one.

I think a handheld tuner might not be bad to have either especially if you want to fine tune your boltons.

(EDIT - if your rear is stock, 3.73's or 4.10's with a tlock wouldn't hurt either)

I also have a vote for FI. TMA Turbo (I think thats who it was) does a TT setup for the v6 stangs. If you want to do it on a budget, you have almost all the hotside of a TT setup. If you flip your stock headers there is only one cut and weld you have to do- IIRC its on the passenger side- so that the exhaust header clears the motor mount. If you have the skill to do the cut and weld, you have the skill to do the rest of the hotside TT setup.

Again, if you have access to a salvage yard and can score some T3's off a thunderbird and do the flipped headers, you could get a TT setup in your car for cheap (last time I looked into it i could do it with a mix of new parts (intercooler, cold side piping) and salvage yard parts for something like $660. Just dont try to run more than 3-5psi without some fuel mods.

Or you can be lazy and just get some NAWWWzzzzzzz!
    Last edited by phillysrt4; 03-22-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Idk why everyone wants twins lol. A single turbo thats setup is perfectly fine.
    10-12 pounds will make you happy before youre pushing the block into the danger zone (which I've read is around 350-400 rwhp).
    If you do a 4.2 or 4.3 stroker, sky is the limit. No one has blown one up yet, and thats with some 600+ rwhp v6's.

TMA isn't making kits anymore currently though.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
    Idk why everyone wants twins lol. A single turbo thats setup is perfectly fine.
    10-12 pounds will make you happy before youre pushing the block into the danger zone (which I've read is around 350-400 rwhp).
    If you do a 4.2 or 4.3 stroker, sky is the limit. No one has blown one up yet, and thats with some 600+ rwhp v6's.

TMA isn't making kits anymore currently though.

I think its two reasons:

1) pimp factor, and
    2a) going with a twin means each turbo only has to support 1.9 litres. A t3 in a 50 trim, 60 trim, or super 60 will give you full spool as close to just off idle as you can get (edit- and they're not that expensive. treadstone sells t3 60 trims for something like 645 brand new). We're not talking a honda civic here that revs to 8 or 9 grand (exaggeration but you get my point) so the sooner you can get spool the better.
    2b) There is a large array of turbo choices for displacements between 1.6 and 2.4 litres that give great spoolup/power output characteristics.

I was just going through v6power.net and according to a thread I skimmed through he will make you the hotside if you PM him. I'll find the thread again.

In any event a hotside is just a flip, cut and weld away... theoretically...

or you can just get nawz! ;)

Yeah I guess so.
    There is a guy on Moddedmustangs that makes custom ground cams, does port work, and I'm pretty sure is making hotside kits now.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
    Yeah I guess so.
    There is a guy on Moddedmustangs that makes custom ground cams, does port work, and I'm pretty sure is making hotside kits now.
    really? Thats awesome!

If you have a link to a thread or the member name shoot me a PM if/when you get a chance. I always like to keep up with things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by phillysrt4 View Post
    really? Thats awesome!

If you have a link to a thread or the member name shoot me a PM if/when you get a chance. I always like to keep up with things like that.
    He goes by ESG 642T or something along those lines. I'm pretty sure the numbers wrong, but you will find him.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Thanks alot everyone. You all have been really helpful and gave me a nice list of ideas to do as the money comes lol. but lately the moneys been going faster then coming. so im gonna hold off for a lil and probably grab the intake tuner and probably a supercharger after june.

With a supercharger just know you're gonna need to do the necessary fuel mods, and an 8.8 rear end because the 7.5 won't really handle the power from a supercharger.

Just a little 500 whp V6

So far what i want to do is get the 8.8 and change the gears and all the underdrive pulleys. put the windstar intake on it and maybe the turbo off the thunderbird. but im still open for ideas im just looking at the things that ill have to wait for so i know what its gonna run my bank account down to... but also been thinking of taking 7 grand out to streetlethal and saying here do what you want to it lol

Lol the street lethal idea would work.
    Underdrive pulleys aren't really worth it from what I've read.
    Turbo off a thunderbird wouldn't work all that well if you're talking about the 2.3T turbocoupe, I'd imagine its too small. If you're talking about the supercharger from a supercoupe, the M90, its not worth doing if you have a splitport.

Just a little 500 whp V6

Yeah i think im just going to stick with the street lethal idea lol that way i dont have to be the one to do all the thinking...